The OFFICIAL: Cheltenham v Toon thread

peasepud

We're in the draw on Monday, you miserable twats. :lol:

85587[/snapback]

You've got a point Gemmill but surely even you must find it hard to get enthused when we're playing like this? For the first time in over a decade I think we have literally no chance of lifting the trophy - none whatsoever.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banana skin avoided.

Thought Shola did OK

85594[/snapback]

God how our standards have slipped if we were to agree, Shola was pityful just not as pityful as some, especially Lee Clark who is going backwards each match he plays.

Edited by Pilchard Chops

Boumsong looked a liability even at this level :lol:

85597[/snapback]

His performance was so bad I came to the conclusion he must have taken a bung or had a bet on it would be 2-1. Personally, I thought Shola was shit today too. Guess I'll get accused of slagging the usual suspects......

85587[/snapback]

Did you really expect else than a win against a team three leagues below? Are you really happy to see this kind of rubbish performances?

Of course it is nice to be in the next round, but it would also be nice not looking like a League 2 team (and a bad one that is).

85587[/snapback]

Did you really expect else than a win against a team three leagues below? Are you really happy to see this kind of rubbish performances?

Of course it is nice to be in the next round, but it would also be nice not looking like a League 2 team (and a bad one that is).

85599[/snapback]

Seems Gemmill, Spongebob, and NJS are very easily pleased. Expectations lowered etc. :unsure:

Boumsong looked a liability even at this level :lol:

85597[/snapback]

His performance was so bad I came to the conclusion he must have taken a bung or had a bet on it would be 2-1. Personally, I thought Shola was shit today too. Guess I'll get accused of slagging the usual suspects......

85598[/snapback]

He's getting worse. It's like he's un-learning under our coaching methods.

85587[/snapback]

Exactly.

Emre made a big difference - that was the other positive for me.

85588[/snapback]

Have to disagree there, he done nowt when he came on tbh.

85587[/snapback]

85599[/snapback]

Seems Gemmill, Spongebob, and NJS are very easily pleased. Expectations lowered etc. :unsure:

85600[/snapback]

I expect to lose every game - thats been the case even when we've been good - its a fatalism I try to temper with ill-advised optimism in general (see my nominal support of Souness).

Sima I though Emre at least tried to play football - he looked rusty but just one or two little things proved his class - nobody else (except maybe Parker) could claim that today.

He took the ball off the centre-backs meaning there were fewer pointless high balls for the time he was on. he looked for forward passes especially to Charlie. He won a couple of few free kicks as they didn't know how else to stop his little runs. As I said he looked rusty but he did more in 20 minutes than Solano and Clark did.

It may be we're that desperate that little things which should be routine pleased me disproportionately but I'd say its also the case thet we're also so depressed you can't see a couple of little bright spots - probably both.

He took the ball off the centre-backs meaning there were fewer pointless high balls for the time he was on. he looked for forward passes especially to Charlie. He won a couple of few free kicks as they didn't know how else to stop his little runs. As I said he looked rusty but he did more in 20 minutes than Solano and Clark did.

It may be we're that desperate that little things which should be routine pleased me disproportionately but I'd say its also the case thet we're also so depressed you can't see a couple of little bright spots - probably both.

85694[/snapback]

Possibly. But I don't see Emre dropping deep as much of a positive anyway.

I don't like midfielders continually dropping deep to pick the ball up from the centre backs, Viana used to do it and it drove me off my head. I want to see centre backs good enough to bring the ball out themselves, that way you introduce some tempo to your play and you outnumber the opposition. If a midfielder does it all the time it slows down your play and allows the opposition to organise themselves better.

I don't like midfielders continually dropping deep to pick the ball up from the centre backs, Viana used to do it and it drove me off my head. I want to see centre backs good enough to bring the ball out themselves, that way you introduce some tempo to your play and you outnumber the opposition. If a midfielder does it all the time it slows down your play and allows the opposition to organise themselves better.

85695[/snapback]

Ideally I like to see a mixture of midfielders/CBs bringing it and the occasional long ball (Titus when it works) - anything rather than the exclusive hoof we've been seeing.

We're in the draw on Monday, you miserable twats. :P

85587[/snapback]

85599[/snapback]

Since when has the performance been important in a cup match? Tell the mackems how easy it should be to beat teams from the lower leagues. Or Boro - second replay in two rounds for that lot. Or any other Premiership team that gets knocked out by a team in the lower leagues.

The ONLY thing that matters in the cup is whether or not you win - yes, it would have been nice to see a scintillating performance, but how often does a Premiership team go away in the FA Cup to a lower league team, and completely blitz them or play them off the park? Not very often.

It's just the way people whine on as if the performance has ruined their weekend, when in actual fact, we won and are in the next round that gets on my tits.

85587[/snapback]

85599[/snapback]

Since when has the performance been important in a cup match? Tell the mackems how easy it should be to beat teams from the lower leagues. Or Boro - second replay in two rounds for that lot. Or any other Premiership team that gets knocked out by a team in the lower leagues.

The ONLY thing that matters in the cup is whether or not you win - yes, it would have been nice to see a scintillating performance, but how often does a Premiership team go away in the FA Cup to a lower league team, and completely blitz them or play them off the park? Not very often.

It's just the way people whine on as if the performance has ruined their weekend, when in actual fact, we won and are in the next round that gets on my tits.

85698[/snapback]

Normally I would agree with you about performance not being important in a cup match. But the problem is every performance we have is now completely unacceptable; you would hope these matches might be an opportunity for us to shine and get some confidence back, but that's just not the case at all. We now have a full strength team out (barring Owen), and we're still shit. And the manager is making excuses before a ball is even kicked. Ask yourself a question about yesterday - if you didn't know the respective league positions of each time at that match, could you guess which was which?

Like I said before, you strike me as incredibly easily pleased, and have now even resorted to comparing our results with the mackems to support you argument (have you visited the SMB recently btw, they are not happy). Fact is, given this performance, I can see no way we'll beat Man City on Wednesday. And I can see no way we'll progress in the cup if we meet anyone form above division 2.

85587[/snapback]

85599[/snapback]

85698[/snapback]

Normally I would agree with you about performance not being important in a cup match. But the problem is every performance we have is now completely unacceptable; you would hope these matches might be an opportunity for us to shine and get some confidence back, but that's just not the case at all. We now have a full strength team out (barring Owen), and we're still shit. And the manager is making excuses before a ball is even kicked. Ask yourself a question about yesterday - if you didn't know the respective league positions of each time at that match, could you guess which was which?

Like I said before, you strike me as incredibly easily pleased, and have now even resorted to comparing our results with the mackems to support you argument (have you visited the SMB recently btw, they are not happy). Fact is, given this performance, I can see no way we'll beat Man City on Wednesday. And I can see no way we'll progress in the cup if we meet anyone form above division 2.

85706[/snapback]

I'm not comparing our results with Sunderland's, I'm just pointing out that it is nowhere near as easy to beat a team from the lower divisions as common sense would suggest. I suspect you know exactly what I meant as well tbh.

And I don't believe that you would normally agree with me about result being more important than performance in the Cup. The fact is, if there's something negative to focus on, you'll focus on that and ignore the positive (i.e. the ONLY thing that matters in the cup, the result). Ask Arsenal fans whether they'd have preferred a great performance against Bolton, or to be in the draw tomorrow. That's not me comparing our results with Arsenal's just for the record. :steamtrain:

I agree with Renton. The match didn't ruin my weekend, but it certainly didn't put me in a celebratory mood. We're losing every game in the League and we've been made to look very poor by two League Two teams - what is there to celebrate? The fact that we're likely to go out in the next round when we get drawn against a better team? That's like Shepherd saying that Souness is safe as long as we're in still in the Cup - it's pointless because it should have nothing to do with Souness getting the sack.

I agree with Gemmill (!!!) that cup games are harder these days - the smaller teams know a lot more about how the game is played at the top level - they can watch videos of other games, they train harder than they used to

HOWEVER the difference is supposed to be in class, skill and organisation

I'm afraid we showed no better than Cheltenham in these departements - and its no different week after week

Th eshort period when we started to stirng passes together brought tears to my eyes remembering what we were doing 2-5 years ago

And I don't believe that you would normally agree with me about result being more important than performance in the Cup.  The fact is, if there's something negative to focus on, you'll focus on that and ignore the positive (i.e. the ONLY thing that matters in the cup, the result).  Ask Arsenal fans whether they'd have preferred a great performance against Bolton, or to be in the draw tomorrow.  That's not me comparing our results with Arsenal's just for the record. :P

85709[/snapback]

Arsenal are one of the favourites for the Cup though, we're blatantly not. Arsenal have a good chance of winning it, we haven't. That's not to say people shouldn't be happy about being in the draw for the next round, but it does explain why some people fail to get excited about yet another piss-poor performance against a League Two team.

85587[/snapback]

85599[/snapback]

85698[/snapback]

85706[/snapback]

I'm not comparing our results with Sunderland's, I'm just pointing out that it is nowhere near as easy to beat a team from the lower divisions as common sense would suggest. I suspect you know exactly what I meant as well tbh.

And I don't believe that you would normally agree with me about result being more important than performance in the Cup. The fact is, if there's something negative to focus on, you'll focus on that and ignore the positive (i.e. the ONLY thing that matters in the cup, the result). Ask Arsenal fans whether they'd have preferred a great performance against Bolton, or to be in the draw tomorrow. That's not me comparing our results with Arsenal's just for the record. :steamtrain:

85709[/snapback]

I normally think performance is the most important thing, and make dispensations for the cup - a one off poor performance in the cup won't bother me usually as long as we get the result. But when it's as bad as it was yesterday, and when we are seeing similar levels of performance every game, I think people (not just me here btw, read the forum) are entitled to be unhappy and concerned about it.

We should expect more, but it seems you are perfectly happy to accept the dross that is being doled out. But seriously, ask yourself this - what do you think would have happened if Cheltenham weren't 60 positions beneath us. Do you expect us to beat Man City?

And I don't believe that you would normally agree with me about result being more important than performance in the Cup.  The fact is, if there's something negative to focus on, you'll focus on that and ignore the positive (i.e. the ONLY thing that matters in the cup, the result).  Ask Arsenal fans whether they'd have preferred a great performance against Bolton, or to be in the draw tomorrow.  That's not me comparing our results with Arsenal's just for the record. :P

85709[/snapback]

Arsenal are one of the favourites for the Cup though, we're blatantly not. Arsenal have a good chance of winning it, we haven't. That's not to say people shouldn't be happy about being in the draw for the next round, but it does explain why some people fail to get excited about yet another piss-poor performance against a League Two team.

85712[/snapback]

Arsenal were knocked out away to a very good premiership side, and their fans are gutted. Gemmill made a point that he wasn't comparing us with them, so why did he bring it up at all?

Just out of interest, when was the last time a premiership side was beaten by a league 2 side anyway?

85709[/snapback]

85712[/snapback]

Arsenal were knocked out away to a very good premiership side, and their fans are gutted. Gemmill made a point that he wasn't comparing us with them, so why did he bring it up at all?

Just out of interest, when was the last time a premiership side was beaten by a league 2 side anyway?

85714[/snapback]

I hadn't realised Arsenal were knocked out, I've just come in from a long night out and haven't seen any results yet apart from ours. :steamtrain: