The OFFICIAL: Cheltenham v Toon thread

peasepud

We're in the draw on Monday, you miserable twats. :P

85587[/snapback]

Did you really expect else than a win against a team three leagues below? Are you really happy to see this kind of rubbish performances?

Of course it is nice to be in the next round, but it would also be nice not looking like a League 2 team (and a bad one that is).

85599[/snapback]

Since when has the performance been important in a cup match? Tell the mackems how easy it should be to beat teams from the lower leagues. Or Boro - second replay in two rounds for that lot. Or any other Premiership team that gets knocked out by a team in the lower leagues.

The ONLY thing that matters in the cup is whether or not you win - yes, it would have been nice to see a scintillating performance, but how often does a Premiership team go away in the FA Cup to a lower league team, and completely blitz them or play them off the park? Not very often.

It's just the way people whine on as if the performance has ruined their weekend, when in actual fact, we won and are in the next round that gets on my tits.

85698[/snapback]

Normally I would agree with you about performance not being important in a cup match. But the problem is every performance we have is now completely unacceptable; you would hope these matches might be an opportunity for us to shine and get some confidence back, but that's just not the case at all. We now have a full strength team out (barring Owen), and we're still shit. And the manager is making excuses before a ball is even kicked. Ask yourself a question about yesterday - if you didn't know the respective league positions of each time at that match, could you guess which was which?

Like I said before, you strike me as incredibly easily pleased, and have now even resorted to comparing our results with the mackems to support you argument (have you visited the SMB recently btw, they are not happy). Fact is, given this performance, I can see no way we'll beat Man City on Wednesday. And I can see no way we'll progress in the cup if we meet anyone form above division 2.

85706[/snapback]

I'm not comparing our results with Sunderland's, I'm just pointing out that it is nowhere near as easy to beat a team from the lower divisions as common sense would suggest. I suspect you know exactly what I meant as well tbh.

And I don't believe that you would normally agree with me about result being more important than performance in the Cup. The fact is, if there's something negative to focus on, you'll focus on that and ignore the positive (i.e. the ONLY thing that matters in the cup, the result). Ask Arsenal fans whether they'd have preferred a great performance against Bolton, or to be in the draw tomorrow. That's not me comparing our results with Arsenal's just for the record. :steamtrain:

85709[/snapback]

I normally think performance is the most important thing, and make dispensations for the cup - a one off poor performance in the cup won't bother me usually as long as we get the result. But when it's as bad as it was yesterday, and when we are seeing similar levels of performance every game, I think people (not just me here btw, read the forum) are entitled to be unhappy and concerned about it.

We should expect more, but it seems you are perfectly happy to accept the dross that is being doled out. But seriously, ask yourself this - what do you think would have happened if Cheltenham weren't 60 positions beneath us. Do you expect us to beat Man City?

85713[/snapback]

Renton, I thought the match yesterday was fucking dire, and I didn't enjoy it at all. And yes, we were shit. But I cannot be arsed to dwell on the negatives when the fact remains that we're in the next round. What's the fucking point? I'm not accepting of the dross, but at the same time I'm not gonna whine on too much when we win - what good does it do? I prefer to look at the fact that we won and are in the next round as a positive. You prefer to ignore that and dwell on how shit the game was and how poor the performance was. It's not like I didn't notice that we were crap, you know? I just don't harp on about it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in the draw on Monday, you miserable twats. :P

85587[/snapback]

Did you really expect else than a win against a team three leagues below? Are you really happy to see this kind of rubbish performances?

Of course it is nice to be in the next round, but it would also be nice not looking like a League 2 team (and a bad one that is).

85599[/snapback]

Since when has the performance been important in a cup match? Tell the mackems how easy it should be to beat teams from the lower leagues. Or Boro - second replay in two rounds for that lot. Or any other Premiership team that gets knocked out by a team in the lower leagues.

The ONLY thing that matters in the cup is whether or not you win - yes, it would have been nice to see a scintillating performance, but how often does a Premiership team go away in the FA Cup to a lower league team, and completely blitz them or play them off the park? Not very often.

It's just the way people whine on as if the performance has ruined their weekend, when in actual fact, we won and are in the next round that gets on my tits.

85698[/snapback]

Well, for me the performance even in a cup competition is important. I would take the win as a positive if we were outbattled by a inferior team that was resorting to kicking after players and just sit back and try not to concede goals. But from the two FA Cup competitions we were played off the park by Mansfield and yesterday showed less organisation and structure in the game in comparison to another League 2 side. It wasn't that Cheltenham made it difficult to Newcastle, but Newcastle made it easy for Cheltenham. With a French international defender looking like a pub team player, a crap centre forward played out of position on the wing(s) meaning there was no width in the team. When Chopra, who doesn't look like a Premiership player, was the best player it tells you a story.

The performance hasn't certainly ruined my weekend, but with a difficult away game ahead it hasn't helped to lift my mood. The cup competition could have been a welcome confidence boost, but actually with how things are going we will see the team slipping down further in the relegation battle.

He took the ball off the centre-backs meaning there were fewer pointless high balls for the time he was on. he looked for forward passes especially to Charlie. He won a couple of few free kicks as they didn't know how else to stop his little runs. As I said he looked rusty but he did more in 20 minutes than Solano and Clark did.

It may be we're that desperate that little things which should be routine pleased me disproportionately but I'd say its also the case thet we're also so depressed you can't see a couple of little bright spots - probably both.

85694[/snapback]

Possibly. But I don't see Emre dropping deep as much of a positive anyway.

I don't like midfielders continually dropping deep to pick the ball up from the centre backs, Viana used to do it and it drove me off my head. I want to see centre backs good enough to bring the ball out themselves, that way you introduce some tempo to your play and you outnumber the opposition. If a midfielder does it all the time it slows down your play and allows the opposition to organise themselves better.

85695[/snapback]

And then have centre backs who will be caught out of position should the attack go tits up.

He took the ball off the centre-backs meaning there were fewer pointless high balls for the time he was on. he looked for forward passes especially to Charlie. He won a couple of few free kicks as they didn't know how else to stop his little runs. As I said he looked rusty but he did more in 20 minutes than Solano and Clark did.

It may be we're that desperate that little things which should be routine pleased me disproportionately but I'd say its also the case thet we're also so depressed you can't see a couple of little bright spots - probably both.

85694[/snapback]

I don't like midfielders continually dropping deep to pick the ball up from the centre backs, Viana used to do it and it drove me off my head. I want to see centre backs good enough to bring the ball out themselves, that way you introduce some tempo to your play and you outnumber the opposition. If a midfielder does it all the time it slows down your play and allows the opposition to organise themselves better.

85695[/snapback]

And then have centre backs who will be caught out of position should the attack go tits up.

85728[/snapback]

Err no. I'm glad that's not something I said, as the idea would be daft of course, being as it is how all of the top teams try to play.

Why are people surprised that we struggled against lower league opposition? At this point in '98 we struggled to get a 1-1 draw against Stevanage.

Yesterdays game was thoroughly uninspiring and further confirms the problems we have, but it's better to be through to the next round than out of the cup. Some people are going on as if getting beaten would have thrilled them to bits.

85694[/snapback]

85695[/snapback]

85728[/snapback]

Err no. I'm glad that's not something I said, as the idea would be daft of course, being as it is how all of the top teams try to play.

85774[/snapback]

Apart from Chelsea of course, where Lampard drops deep to pick the ball up. Admittedly, it doesn't happen all the time, as Terry, Gallas and Carvalho all have the ability to bring tha ball out. However, Chelsea's game is actually based on slowing it down, taking their time, and waiting for the perfect pass.

It was shit. To make matters worse Cheltenham were obviously shit, but we somehow managed to make ourselves look shitter. Usually, I would just leave this one and say we're in the next round of the FA Cup which is what's important. But this wasn't a one off was it? It's all part of the bigger picture which is that we have no system or flair. At least the nation got to finally see what we've been complaining about.

Is it true Souness was moaning about the pitch after the game??

He was fucking praising the thing (and rightly so) before it. Proves what a contradictory fucker he truly is! :P

I think the disappointing thing was that we didn't stamp our authority against a Cheltenham team that looked poor and didn't really raise its game. I never really felt like we were going to lose but, even at 2-0 we never got hold of the ball in midfield and played football.

Is it true Souness was moaning about the pitch after the game??

He was fucking praising the thing (and rightly so) before it. Proves what a contradictory fucker he truly is! :steamtrain:

85920[/snapback]

This really pissed me off. He was on MOTD just before the game saying they'd warmed up on the pitch and it was excellent, he couldn't praise the groundstaff enough. Then after the game he's blaming it for the performance. You couldn't make it up. :P

It was shit. To make matters worse Cheltenham were obviously shit, but we somehow managed to make ourselves look shitter. Usually, I would just leave this one and say we're in the next round of the FA Cup which is what's important. But this wasn't a one off was it? It's all part of the bigger picture which is that we have no system or flair. At least the nation got to finally see what we've been complaining about.

85916[/snapback]

Exactly. It's more than blinkered to dismiss yet another shite performance claiming, " we're through to the next round. "

85916[/snapback]

Exactly. It's more than blinkered to dismiss yet another shite performance claiming, " we're through to the next round. "

86282[/snapback]

While we were absolutely dogshit and it frustrates the fuck out of us, Gemmill does kinda have a point. We're through and what is past is prologue.

I'd much rather us be shit and we go through than we play our bollocks off and we lose....

4 March 1996 still sticks in my throat - we fucking murdered Man Utd that night yet we still ended up losing 1-0.

No point dwelling on what's gone before - we need to move forward tbh...

85916[/snapback]

86282[/snapback]

While we were absolutely dogshit and it frustrates the fuck out of us, Gemmill does kinda have a point. We're through and what is past is prologue.

I'd much rather us be shit and we go through than we play our bollocks off and we lose....

4 March 1996 still sticks in my throat - we fucking murdered Man Utd that night yet we still ended up losing 1-0.

No point dwelling on what's gone before - we need to move forward tbh...

86287[/snapback]

As has been said by others, sensible people know that poor performances are usually excusable in the cup if you get through. However, our performances have been dismal for 16 months now, only a fool ignores that fact on the basis of " we're through ".

who's ignoring the performance? We've all said we were shit, we're just choosing not to dwell on it...

Tell me HTL, are you going to be whinging about what Souness did to this club long after we get rid of him? :P

who's ignoring the performance? We've all said we were shit, we're just choosing not to dwell on it...

Tell me HTL, are you going to be whinging about what Souness did to this club long after we get rid of him? :P

86341[/snapback]

Embarrassing, tbh. :steamtrain:

86399[/snapback]

It'll will be, yes....

I take it you're actually admitting that you will be then?