Boumsong vs Cheltenham

Chaser

i dont remember him being as bad when he first came as he is now. I seem to remember him having the pace to clear things up, make some well timed tackles etc however he seems to have got a LOT worse. I know he's had family problems but i thought he was over those

85770[/snapback]

As Wacky says, Shrek was crap against Yeading. This was pointed out at the time by a handful of people ( once again ) but was ridiculed, as is the usual way of it. :P

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crouch is good.

Beattie would have been better than Kluivert [correct or not ?]

Don't believe I ever said much about Jeanarse, apart from being soft as shite for a central midfield player, and should never, ever have won the young player of the year award ahead of rooney for starters [for which I was slaughtered]

30m for ferdinand is manu's business, i have never said anything about this

Nor Dean richards

85743[/snapback]

Rooney only started 14 games that season. Are you getting him mixed up with O'Shea?

Crouch is good.

Don't believe I ever said much about Jeanarse, apart from being soft as shite for a central midfield player, and should never, ever have won the young player of the year award ahead of rooney for starters [for which I was slaughtered]

Nor Dean richards

85743[/snapback]

Rooney only started 14 games that season. Are you getting him mixed up with O'Shea?

85810[/snapback]

yes and no. At the time I said Rooney was head and shoulders above any new player, it was pointed out the award was supposed to have been over the whole season and O'Shea was in fact arguably the one who should have won on that basis, fair comment, he was very good that year.

Good bit of detective work ref the 14 games mate, I only meant it the same as I did at the time, how people thought Jenas was so good was difficult to work out

O'Shea doesn't seem to have came on so much since then himself although he can play all across the back four

Actually the more we see Rooney he grows in stature all the time, and the jokes about him being fat are funny, he's fast as hell !

I'll hold my hands up and say I was one of those who thought he was a good signing, based on what I'd seen from him at Auxerre. I did think we paid over the odds though (who didn't?). He was absolutely rotten yesterday.

he's an expensive foreigner though, so he should be the real deal, as a lot of people said when he signed

I realise you're completely obsessed with "expensive foreigners", but once again, there are just as many (if not more, in relative terms) overpriced English players. £30m for Rio Ferdinand? £8.5m for Dean Richards? £7m for Jenas? £8m for Crouch? £6.5m for Beattie (who, if I remember correctly, you think we should have signed)? The list is endless.

85715[/snapback]

Crouch is good.

Nor Dean richards

85743[/snapback]

I don't think Beattie would have been better than Kluivert, but that's not the point. As I said in my first post, the point I'm making is that there are just as many overpriced and overrated English players than there are "expensive foreigners", as you call them. Cort cost in excess of £7m, Jeffers was £8m, Bramble something like £5m, etc., the list is endless.

Edited by Bombadil

In the journal the quote is even better...

"I think Jean-Alain Boumsong will prove to be one of the best central defenders at the World Cup this summer and I will buy you dinner if that doesn't prove to be the case,"

:P

So what is the best restaurant in Newcastle, I want to book a table...

"I think Jean-Alain Boumsong will prove to be one of the best central defenders at the World Cup this summer and I will buy you dinner if that doesn't prove to be the case,"

85906[/snapback]

:steamtrain:

I have never heard anyone come up with as much bullshit as Souness, and that includes politicians, estate agents, 2nd hand car salesmen etc.....

85906[/snapback]

I have never heard anyone come up with as much bullshit as Souness, and that includes politicians, estate agents, 2nd hand car salesmen etc.....

85909[/snapback]

Maybe not like, but I've never once heard him dream out loud about a Roddenberry Star Trek utopia. :icon_lol:

I thought Boumsong was poor again on Sarrida (making the kid he was marking look like a world beater) but at least he was involved, Bramble was just keeping out the way imo.

85906[/snapback]

Whilst that comment is fucking hilarious, knowing our luck the useless waste of space will have an absolute blinder of a world cup and show our coaching staff up for being an absolute bigger piece of shit than they are...

On second thoughts, nah.....this is Boumsong we're talking about :steamtrain:

85906[/snapback]

Whilst that comment is fucking hilarious, knowing our luck the useless waste of space will have an absolute blinder of a world cup and show our coaching staff up for being an absolute bigger piece of shit than they are...

On second thoughts, nah.....this is Boumsong we're talking about :steamtrain:

85919[/snapback]

It wouldn't surprise me that much as he's been doing ok for France. It still wouldn't alter the fact he doesn't seem capable of meeting the physical challenge of playing at centre-back in the Premier League.

I repeat...

this club wanted to buy him...

Souness may have been the manager when he actually signed, but an approach was made to Rangers in the wake of the Woodgate sale.....before Robson had been sacked! :P

85718[/snapback]

Have you got a link for this Craig? Are you suggesting Boumsong was not a Souness signing? I seem to remember Robson being linked with Boumsong but he wasn't interested.

85721[/snapback]

I haven't got a link to hand, no, but then we've discussed it previously and I wasn't the only one to voice that opinion..

Boumsong was indeed a Souness signing, I've not said differently - but this club made moves to approach him before Souness was anything to do with the place.

85723[/snapback]

So it is just your opinion then. The way you put it it makes it look like a fact that we wanted to sign him. And does asking about a player and sending scouts definitely mean we want to sign him or are we just checking him out? I would like to know cos obviously I am not as Knowledgeable as you.

85729[/snapback]

'Opinion' was the wrong choice of word there me thinks. Anyhow seeing as you both asked me nicely.....

MANAGERLESS Newcastle United face a fraught beat the deadline day on the transfer front as chairman Freddy Shepherd attempts to solve the club's defensive crisis.

Having admitted defeat in the race to sign Wayne Rooney from Everton, the Magpies are armed with the cash from the Jonathan Woodgate sale as they try to plug the huge gap left by the Real Madrid man.

Now Shepherd, after relieving manager Sir Bobby Robson of his duties yesterday, must attempt to bolster his defensive ranks without the guidance of the former England boss.

The Magpies board have already been told to forget about trying to take Celtic's Bobo Balde south of the border but their chances of signing Jean-Alain Boumsong from Old Firm rivals Rangers appear to be a little stronger.

A £3.8m bid was rejected by the Ibrox club over the weekend but they are resigned to losing Boumsong if Newcastle return with an increased offer of around £4.5m today.

The French international, after only six appearances for the club, has told Rangers he no longer wants to stay with them after Alex McLeish's men failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Boumsong arrived from Auxerre earlier in the summer on a free transfer and rules stipulate no player can sign for two clubs during a transfer window. However, UEFA can waiver that on grounds of compassion.

That is why Newcastle, desperate to buy before the closure of the window at midnight tonight, have a list of targets and Juventus' Igor Tudor has also caught the eye.

Juve completed the signing of Fabio Cannavaro yesterday and are willing to listen to offers for their Croatian centre-back, who was close to a move to Tottenham earlier in the summer.

Tudor's injury record in the end cost him a switch to White Hart Lane and Tottenham boss Jaques Santini opted instead to sign experienced Moroccan Nourredine Naybet.

But, following the arrival of Cannavaro at Juventus, Newcastle may turn to the unwanted Tudor as a last resort to boost numbers defensively.

If the Premiership outfit fail to add at least one more man to their squad then whoever does succeed Robson will have their work cut out in trying to improve a leaky defence.

Newcastle have already conceded nine goals in their opening four league encounters and Aaron Hughes, a right-back last season, steady Andy O'Brien, the inconsistent Titus Bramble and youngster Steven Taylor provide the only options.

The next Newcastle boss will not have to contend with having to accomodate five quality strikers at St James' Park, however, after pulling out of their bid to capture Rooney.

Two bids from Tyneside, the last of which was £23.5m over the weekend, were rejected by Everton and that was as far as Newcastle were prepared to go. Shepherd said: "We made a genuine offer. It is better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all."

But that means the futures of Shola Ameobi and Craig Bellamy look more secure, while Patrick Kluivert and Alan Shearer will continue to fight it out for the right to be the club's targetman.

Manchester United are now clear favourites to land Rooney and are hopeful of pushing a deal though later today.

Old Trafford officials met with their Everton counterparts at Old Trafford yesterday - after the two sides' goalless draw - in an attempt to reach a breakthrough in negotiations.

But Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright said last night: "We had a chat but nothing has been resolved. Wayne Rooney remains an Everton player. Will something happen in the next 24 hours? I don't know. I truly don't know."

Manchester United's last tabled bid was a deal worth £25m, to be paid in instalments, but Everton are still holding out to receive nearer the £30m they rate Rooney at.

The two clubs will talk again today and hopes are still high that an agreement can be reached after Rooney suggested it was his intention to play for the Red Devils.

l Calum Davenport, a defender considered by Newcastle, is on the verge of a £2.5m move to Tottenham.

The Coventry City youngster was in north London yesterday for a medical after the two clubs agreed the fee.

Source: http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/2004/8/31/41045.html

85906[/snapback]

85909[/snapback]

Maybe not like, but I've never once heard him dream out loud about a Roddenberry Star Trek utopia. :icon_lol:

85910[/snapback]

The difference being I made my comments on a football messageboard, not in the national press, and even so what I said was slightly more likely to happen and less ridiculous.

Howay Gemmill, instead of diverting attention away from Souness, why won't you comment on HIM for a change? <_< Personally, I see this as more evidence he's looking to get sacked for his pay out....

And what the fuck is Parker talking about?

As he spoke of his appreciation at the manner in which Graeme Souness has protected his players during some of the most unsettling times in Newcastle's recent history, Scott Parker last night admitted it is time the favour was reciprocated.

The midfielder made a point of seeking out his beleaguered manager to celebrate after striking his first goal for the club during Saturday's FA Cup fourth round triumph at Cheltenham and, with Souness still retaining the full support of his dressing room, the gesture was more than symbolic.

The fact the Magpies remain in the last competition that is still within their grasp this season means the pressure on the United boss has eased.

But with Parker aware it will not take much to put the Scot's precarious position back on the agenda, the 25-year-old has urged his team-mates to reward Souness for the sacrifices he has made for them. "The manager has taken all the flak, he has been protecting us, that's just the sort of person he is," said Parker, whose return from a knee operation was a source of great encouragement for his manager at Whaddon Road.

"He has taken all the blame and that's the measure of him as a man. As players, we all appreciate that. This has been a tough spell but the manager has taken the brunt of the criticism and we have got to stand up and show him we are capable of turning things around.

"The manager has done his bit and now it's up to us. But talk is cheap, we have got to start picking up some better results. This is a good start."

Souness has taken all the blame? What a joke, he will blame the tea lady before he blames himself. And yes, it's been fantastic the way he protects his players, especially when he implies that the ones he has at his disposal are shit and would never play if his door-openers were fit.

Incidentally, Bolton and ManU have bigger injury problems than us and they seem to cope pretty well - could you imagine Souness' press conference after a game where he had to play a central defender and a striker in midfield? They would have to drag him out because he'd never stop going on about injuries.

I think that's Parker's attempt at keeping the boss happy...

Thing is, I think he's so used to being on the periphery at Chelsea and trying to break into their first 11, I don't think he appreciates how 'nailed on' his inclusion in the starting line-up is when fit...

He doesn't need to brown-nose to get a game, others unfortunately most definitely do!

As he spoke of his appreciation at the manner in which Graeme Souness has protected his players during some of the most unsettling times in Newcastle's recent history, Scott Parker last night admitted it is time the favour was reciprocated.

The midfielder made a point of seeking out his beleaguered manager to celebrate after striking his first goal for the club during Saturday's FA Cup fourth round triumph at Cheltenham and, with Souness still retaining the full support of his dressing room, the gesture was more than symbolic.

The fact the Magpies remain in the last competition that is still within their grasp this season means the pressure on the United boss has eased.

But with Parker aware it will not take much to put the Scot's precarious position back on the agenda, the 25-year-old has urged his team-mates to reward Souness for the sacrifices he has made for them. "The manager has taken all the flak, he has been protecting us, that's just the sort of person he is," said Parker, whose return from a knee operation was a source of great encouragement for his manager at Whaddon Road.

"He has taken all the blame and that's the measure of him as a man. As players, we all appreciate that. This has been a tough spell but the manager has taken the brunt of the criticism and we have got to stand up and show him we are capable of turning things around.

"The manager has done his bit and now it's up to us. But talk is cheap, we have got to start picking up some better results. This is a good start."

Souness has taken all the blame? What a joke, he will blame the tea lady before he blames himself. And yes, it's been fantastic the way he protects his players, especially when he implies that the ones he has at his disposal are shit and would never play if his door-openers were fit.

Incidentally, Bolton and ManU have bigger injury problems than us and they seem to cope pretty well - could you imagine Souness' press conference after a game where he had to play a central defender and a striker in midfield? They would have to drag him out because he'd never stop going on about injuries.

85963[/snapback]

I f***ing hate this banging on how happy everybody is and how they are all in it together. There is nothing to be happy about. The state of the team on the pitch is painful, they are producing rubbish performances.

Though they all know what fate would await them if they came out to say the truth and that they are not good enough.

I am also livid about Parker saying that Souness has taken all the criticism. FFS the tosser hasn't taken any criticism at all, but is hiding behind a countless number of excuses. He even had the nerve to say that he has done nothing wrong.

85963[/snapback]

I f***ing hate this banging on how happy everybody is and how they are all in it together. There is nothing to be happy about. The state of the team on the pitch is painful, they are producing rubbish performances.

Though they all know what fate would await them if they came out to say the truth and that they are not good enough.

I am also livid about Parker saying that Souness has taken all the criticism. FFS the tosser hasn't taken any criticism at all, but is hiding behind a countless number of excuses. He even had the nerve to say that he has done nothing wrong.

86119[/snapback]

Wolfie's in a one-per! Wolfie's in a two-per! Wolfie's in a three-per! Wolfie's in a four-per! Wolfie's in a five-per! Wolfie's in a six-per! Wolfie's in a seven-per! Wolfie's in an eight-per! Wolfie's in a nine-per!

WOLFIE'S IN A TEN-PER!!!!

:P:steamtrain:

86119[/snapback]

Woah..watch out Poland! :P

Yes, but I am right.

86136[/snapback]

You're spot on actually.

86152[/snapback]

*lick* tbh.

86158[/snapback]

Being slightly serious here for a minute Gemmill, it does seem the only argument you have on the Newcastle board at the moment is to evade the issues by taking the piss out the poster. Now we all like a bit of banter, but some content would nice too occasionally. So perhaps you'd like to tell us what was wrong with Isegrim's post, because I thought it was spot on?

God, I sound like a teacher now. :P

Yes, but I am right.

86136[/snapback]

You're spot on actually.

86152[/snapback]

*lick* tbh.

86158[/snapback]

Being slightly serious here for a minute Gemmill, it does seem the only argument you have on the Newcastle board at the moment is to evade the issues by taking the piss out the poster. Now we all like a bit of banter, but some content would nice too occasionally. So perhaps you'd like to tell us what was wrong with Isegrim's post, because I thought it was spot on?

God, I sound like a teacher now. :P

86163[/snapback]

Shut up man Renton. What issue exactly am I avoiding? I've said I think Souness's time is up and I admit we're crap at the minute. What I won't do is whine on about it constantly like you do, because I can't be bothered. So in the absence of that, and anything particularly positive to say, I'll take the mick. If that's ok with you like. :steamtrain: