Planes 'seen in close encounter'

Craig

Officials have denied any breach of safety after two planes were pictures apparently flying perilously close together over east London.

laun.jpg
The planes appear to be flying extremely

close together (click image to enlarge)

The aircraft - a DHL plane and a Japan Airlines jet - were reportedly seen flying over West Ham's Upton Park ground just after 1500 GMT on Saturday.

The Civil Aviation Authority said no near miss had been reported and it was impossible to tell how close they were.

DHL said both planes had landed at Heathrow with no safety lapses.

The photographer who captured the image told the Sunday Mirror he started taking photos after seeing the planes apparently coming together "on a collision course".

But a spokesman for DHL said photographs could be "incredibly deceptive".

"In the picture, they look like they are close together but it doesn't mean they are. And in fact they were not," he said.

"If there had been any incident of them being close together, there are all sorts of systems which would have gone off, both in the plane itself and at air traffic control - but there wasn't any report of an incident."

The spokesman said there was no question that either aircraft had strayed from its proper path, which should mean there was a distance of some two and a half miles between them.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660644.stm

Sorry like but there's nee way that that's normal. It's either a photoshop job, or there was a fuck up. Surely.

I've seen Planes fly close before, I've been in Planes and seen other Planes flying close, but when I say close, they're still miles away.

They are just to close to call, even if you bring the angle of the shot into play, they're still way too close.

Looks like a blatent photoshop job to me.  :P

85882[/snapback]

Best photoshop job I've ever seen if it is...

More than plausible, all dependant on the angle that the shot has been taken from.

Looks like a blatent photoshop job to me.  :P

85882[/snapback]

Best photoshop job I've ever seen if it is...

More than plausible, all dependant on the angle that the shot has been taken from.

85894[/snapback]

I can't see that it is plausible, whatever angle or lenses were used. The plane in front, which is obviously significantly smaller, is only blocking a small section of the larger planes tail, suggesting they would have to be VERY close. In fact, a collision looks inevitable. And both planes loo like they are travelling in a similar direction - yet look at the sky - not a cloud in sight - how could they get so close with perfect visibility, let alone all the alarms that would have gone off and air traffic control? Finally of course, if those planes were within a mile of each other there would have to be a full scale enquiry, unless you choose to believe some sort of conspiracy cover up theory.

Two and a half miles will be the horizontal separation. Vertical separation only has to be 1000 feet, which is why they look so close.

The JAL plane is a 777 which are fecking huge and can assist in the illusion...

The photographer was bloody quick to react wasn't he. So he successfully predicted that 2 planes were heading into a collision course, despite the fact they were both travelling in a similar direction.

Sounds like bollocks to me. It's quite an easy photoshop job, but don't know why anyone would bother. Who knows? or cares?

Two and a half miles will be the horizontal separation. Vertical separation only has to be 1000 feet, which is why they look so close.

The JAL plane is a 777 which are fecking huge and can assist in the illusion...

85931[/snapback]

Using the laws of perspective, I don't see how the nose of the plane in front is only blocking a section of the larger planes tail, that's my problem. It doesn't make sense to me.

The photographer was bloody quick to react wasn't he. So he successfully predicted that 2 planes were heading into a collision course, despite the fact they were both travelling in a similar direction.

Sounds like bollocks to me. It's quite an easy photoshop job, but don't know why anyone would bother. Who knows? or cares?

85934[/snapback]

Craig is correct - the smaller DHL jet is either an A320 or a 737 - the ENGINES on the JAL 777 are the same size as the fuselage of the 737 - so the DHL plane is a long way from the 777

85934[/snapback]

Craig is correct - the smaller DHL jet is either an A320 or a 737 - the ENGINES on the JAL 777 are the same size as the fuselage of the 737 - so the DHL plane is a long way from the 777

85970[/snapback]

Or more likely it's a fake photo. Why doe the nose of the A320/737 not completely block out the tail of the 777 if it's so much nearer? I suppose it could have been done with a VERY powerful telephoto lens but I doubt it could have been done by chance by an amateur.

Reminds me of Father Ted explaining to Dougal - Those cows are small, those cows are far away.....

I understand it WAS a pro - at some football game or sommat in Lahndahn

85986[/snapback]

Who just happened to predict that the planes were on collision course, adjust his lense to get the right shot, and get the perfect picture?

Whoever was playing in the game he was it must have been playing long ball.

"The photographer who captured the image told the Sunday Mirror he started taking photos after seeing the planes apparently coming together "on a collision course"."

Its one image from a whole series

"The photographer who captured the image told the Sunday Mirror he started taking photos after seeing the planes apparently coming together "on a collision course"."

Its one image from a whole series

86003[/snapback]

Get the rest posted then, I want to have a go at recreating them in photoshop :P