The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first time i flew we went to majorca.

left from manchester on a big plane, not sure what type.

when we left the terminal we walked across the tarmac to get to the plane and had to walk up one of those ladders on wheels things.

it wasnt very confidence inspiring to see all the rivits and stuff.

I think it was when I was 5, but I might have had another internal flight before that.

Flew to the Bahamas on a 747, not a fun flight for a mother flying with three kids, but my mam managed it apparently without a hitch.

FLying is my favourite form of travel (other than driving myself) can't abide being a passenger on a bus, train or boat.

I know the Stakes are higher, but I find it the most hassle free form of transport, I think the alacrity helps, but the whole experience of watching the world fly by beneath you is something I enjoy greatly

My only problem with my first flight was that my ears didn't pop and I spent the first 3 days of my holiday in Ibiza, deaf !

85890[/snapback]

Pardon??? :steamtrain:

To get anywhere here in a reasonable timeframe or to go anywhere from here it inevitably involves a big kero burner.

Worst I had was travelling to Cobar for work.

:P

2 hours in a 9 seat twin prop plane bouncing due to turbulance from the summer heat and then an hour after arriving going down into a gold mine! My ears seem to pop for days.

I think i've said on here before...i still havent plucked up the courage to fly :P

I actually feel a panic attack coming on at the thought of it...its annoying as now i could fly to Newcastle from Exeter for a match.

I was about 12, we used to go on the bus to Spain cos we was poor (violin out) and one year there was a group of 14 of us going (aunts, uncles, cousins) and the holiday company rang to say exactly 14 had cancelled on a plane going to Spain and did we want the seats for nowt. I was nervous like, and due to childhood ear problems I was in agony when it was time for your ears to pop. The main memroy of this flight though, is that I also fell out of my seat when we went to land cos my seatbelt wasn't on properly. My mam and dad thought this was hilarious.

I don't mind flying at all - long hauls can be a pain if the movies are crap and you get sat next to a freak (or behind someone who thinks whacking their seat back full tilt for the entire flight is a good idea), but for the most part it's alright.

On the seat reclining thing, I almost had a bout of air rage once when some German tosser on the way back from America put his seat back from the minute the seatbelt light went off. I'm canny tall so it was pretty uncomfortable. Anyway, I dozed off eventually, and must have moved my legs, only to be awoken by this tosser turning round with his neck cushion strapped round his neck, and those silly little eye things designed to block out the light on his forehead going "I vould like to know vhy you are putting your knees in ze back of my seat!" I told him that maybe it was because I was tall and he'd had his seat fully reclined for the last 8 hours. Anyway, he told me I needed to be more careful to which I responded "I suggest you turn around and shut up, dickhead". He goes "No! You are ze dickhead!", pulled his little eye things down, and turned back round. :P Aye, that's right, I'm nails. :steamtrain::icon_lol:

I couldn't get back to sleep cos I was so livid, so I spent the rest of the journey playing keepy-ups with the back of his chair, the little prick. I can't stand it when people are inconsiderate like that on planes - I know the seats are designed to go back that far, but I never recline mine more than about halfway because it just makes the journey unpleasant for the person behind.

Oh and I really can't understand people who are scared of flying. It's safer than driving.

Oh and I really can't understand people who are scared of flying.  It's safer than driving.

85905[/snapback]

My boss is scared of flying. We were talking about how it's not the flying that people are scared of, but the fact that when something does (very rarely) go wrong you're pretty fucked. She started going on about how it would be better to have a fucked plane over the sea, as it could hover above the ocaen while everyone jumps out. We started laughing, apart from her, she wasn't taking the piss and thought this was plausible. She's now more scared of flying than before. :P

I can't stand it when people are inconsiderate like that on planes - I know the seats are designed to go back that far, but I never recline mine more than about halfway because it just makes the journey unpleasant for the person behind.

85905[/snapback]

It's not just the reclining seat thing though, people generally turn to arses on a plane. On the way home from my last trip to England, I was sat next to this young couple, Laandan ravers from the little bit I actually spoke to them. Anyway here we are in the centre of the plane, three of us with four seats. So what do the inconsiderate pricks do? She moves into spare seat, which is between us so he can spread out over two seats! After 3 hours of this, including her watching the "inflight" entertainment at full volume, constantly getting up and down, I decided to do a Gemmill and blow a fuse, very calmly asking them to fuck off back to their own seats.

It was a distinct lack of conversation after that, prats.

I don't mind flying at all - long hauls can be a pain if the movies are crap and you get sat next to a freak (or behind someone who thinks whacking their seat back full tilt for the entire flight is a good idea), but for the most part it's alright.

On the seat reclining thing, I almost had a bout of air rage once when some German tosser on the way back from America put his seat back from the minute the seatbelt light went off.  I'm canny tall so it was pretty uncomfortable.  Anyway, I dozed off eventually, and must have moved my legs, only to be awoken by this tosser turning round with his neck cushion strapped round his neck, and those silly little eye things designed to block out the light on his forehead going "I vould like to know vhy you are putting your knees in ze back of my seat!"  I told him that maybe it was because I was tall and he'd had his seat fully reclined for the last 8 hours.  Anyway, he told me I needed to be more careful to which I responded "I suggest you turn around and shut up, dickhead".  He goes "No!  You are ze dickhead!", pulled his little eye things down, and turned back round. :P  Aye, that's right, I'm nails. :steamtrain::icon_lol:

I couldn't get back to sleep cos I was so livid, so I spent the rest of the journey playing keepy-ups with the back of his chair, the little prick.  I can't stand it when people are inconsiderate like that on planes - I know the seats are designed to go back that far, but I never recline mine more than about halfway because it just makes the journey unpleasant for the person behind.

Oh and I really can't understand people who are scared of flying.  It's safer than driving.

85905[/snapback]

it probably is...but we cant help our phobias and fears.

First time for me was when i was 5, 747 from manchester to barbados. Was kinda too young to scared by flying as i didn't really know what could go wrong (ironically we drove past lockerbie which still had bits of knacked plane lying around on the way to the airport, I didn't quite manage to put 2+2 togethor on that one).

Not bothered by it now, worse thing thats happened to me on the plane is the aborted takeoffs. Not what you want just before a flight on a plane with the following sign "Use Bottom Seat Cushion for Flotation".

On the seat reclining thing, I almost had a bout of air rage once when some German tosser on the way back from America put his seat back from the minute the seatbelt light went off.  I'm canny tall so it was pretty uncomfortable.  Anyway, I dozed off eventually, and must have moved my legs, only to be awoken by this tosser turning round with his neck cushion strapped round his neck, and those silly little eye things designed to block out the light on his forehead going "I vould like to know vhy you are putting your knees in ze back of my seat!"  I told him that maybe it was because I was tall and he'd had his seat fully reclined for the last 8 hours.  Anyway, he told me I needed to be more careful to which I responded "I suggest you turn around and shut up, dickhead".  He goes "No!  You are ze dickhead!", pulled his little eye things down, and turned back round. :P  Aye, that's right, I'm nails. :steamtrain:<_<

I couldn't get back to sleep cos I was so livid, so I spent the rest of the journey playing keepy-ups with the back of his chair, the little prick.  I can't stand it when people are inconsiderate like that on planes - I know the seats are designed to go back that far, but I never recline mine more than about halfway because it just makes the journey unpleasant for the person behind.

85905[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

I can't stand inconsiderate twats that recline their seats fully for the entire flight, unfortunately I seem to get one every single fucking flight! You can't recline on Easy jet or Ryan Air which I think makes them much more comfortable. Unless the airline are providing you with plenty of leg space this should be the norm - especially long haul.

One of my most uncomfortable flights was with Brittania coming back from St Lucia last year. For some reason the condensation (formed from people's expirations and sweat :)) kept on congregating in a "pool" above my head and dripped on me like Chinese water torture. The attendants couldn't stop it and there was nowhere else to move. Plus they ran out of alcohol and food before I got served. I was going stir crazy after 12 hours of this, and have resolved never to fly long haul again with a charter company.

Flying into San Francisco for the first time is a bit of a "This can't be right...." moment. You fly in over the bay, and the runway starts right at the edge of it, so it looks for all the world as if you're about to ditch into the water and just as you touch down the runway appears beneath you - if you're on the right side of the plane, you can only see water all around until the very last second. I will admit to being a bit worried. :P

I've been flying regularly since I was too young to even remember now, but it's only in the last year or so that I've started to develop a fear of flying. :P Last night's jaunt from Heathrow to Frankfurt was OK, but I'm generally scared shitless of the whole procedure these days, and I have no idea why...

I've been flying regularly since I was too young to even remember now, but it's only in the last year or so that I've started to develop a fear of flying. :P Last night's jaunt from Heathrow to Frankfurt was OK, but I'm generally scared shitless of the whole procedure these days, and I have no idea why...

85982[/snapback]

We all know you've had your brown wings for years now. :steamtrain:

Chocs away.