The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

went to the Canary islands as a kid and landed at Las palmas we loved it but that was back in the late 70s but next time me dada booked us on a flight we went to Tenerife which as a kid was cool.

no one in my class had been on a trip to spanish soil or anywhere else for that matter( may be Rhly )

So the next yr we booked again and yet again it was DAN AIR london who was to fly us to our dreams of sun and sand. But Dad had to cancel the trip due to problems at work and what happend that flight flew in to a volcano and killed eveyone on board. Even one of the stewardess girls who lived local to us and was on our flight the yr before was lost.

Still its the best way to travel as long as you dont have a problem.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has really freaked me out actually, even though I contributed to a lot of it. No wonder I really hate flying, I'm always scared the worst will happen.

So ignore everything I have said. In the impossible event of a plane crash, you will not be aware of what is happening. At all. There, that's better.  :naughty:

86528[/snapback]

Don't worry - if the plane crashing doesn't kill you then the DVT's will :unsure:

Question! Do you get any more leg room on a ridiculously long-haul flight? :unsure:

86804[/snapback]

I always have on scheduled air lines, but not charters. I'm sure flying to Oz you will have considerably more room mind.

86813[/snapback]

that really depends on which airline you fly with .

This thread has really freaked me out actually, even though I contributed to a lot of it. No wonder I really hate flying, I'm always scared the worst will happen.

So ignore everything I have said. In the impossible event of a plane crash, you will not be aware of what is happening. At all. There, that's better.  :naughty:

86528[/snapback]

Don't worry - if the plane crashing doesn't kill you then the DVT's will :unsure:

Question! Do you get any more leg room on a ridiculously long-haul flight? :unsure:

86804[/snapback]

I always have on scheduled air lines, but not charters. I'm sure flying to Oz you will have considerably more room mind.

86813[/snapback]

that really depends on which airline you fly with .

86818[/snapback]

QANTAS. They rather conveniently had a sale on when I was booking too. Lovely peeps.

went to the Canary islands as a kid and landed at Las palmas we loved it but that was back in the late 70s but next time me dada booked us on a flight we went to Tenerife which as a kid was cool.

no one in my class had been on a trip to spanish soil or anywhere else for that matter( may be Rhly )

So the next yr we booked again and yet again it was DAN AIR london who was to fly us to our dreams of sun and sand.  But Dad had to cancel the trip due to problems at work and what happend that flight flew in to a volcano and killed eveyone on board. Even one of the stewardess girls who lived local to us and was on our flight the yr before was lost.

86816[/snapback]

Fucking hell, that must have been awful! :unsure:

Was this the flight?

25 April 1980; Dan-Air 727-46; Tenerife, Canary Islands : The aircraft hit high ground in cloud while in controlled flight. All eight crew members and 138 passengers were killed.

Tell you what, this thread is going to really put me off flying even more soon. :naughty:

So the next yr we booked again and yet again it was DAN AIR london who was to fly us to our dreams of sun and sand.  But Dad had to cancel the trip due to problems at work and what happend that flight flew in to a volcano and killed eveyone on board. Even one of the stewardess girls who lived local to us and was on our flight the yr before was lost.

86816[/snapback]

final001.jpg

"We say that the hour of death cannot be forecast. But when we say this, we imagine that the hour is placed in an obscure and distant future. It never occurs to us that it has any connection with the day already begun, or that death could arrive this same afternoon - this afternoon which is so certain, and which has every hour filled in advance"

:naughty:

86816[/snapback]

Fucking hell, that must have been awful! :unsure:

Was this the flight?

25 April 1980; Dan-Air 727-46; Tenerife, Canary Islands : The aircraft hit high ground in cloud while in controlled flight. All eight crew members and 138 passengers were killed.

Tell you what, this thread is going to really put me off flying even more soon. :naughty:

86824[/snapback]

Yes that was the one it went stright in to Mount Teide on its approach to the old airport. I looked in to things later on and that same aircraft was the one we had been on the yr before. Some place I still have a book that me dad gave me to take the numbers of the planes at the airport while waiting for our holiday flights.

A bit of an anorack thing but I was just a kid and these planes amazed me and so I collected all the numbers while we was at the airport save getting board.

This thread sort of made me think as only two yrs back on a flight back from Skopalos to manc we where coming in to land and could see the runway below us,

so that shows how low we where.

When all of a sudden the nose end went right up the engines roared and up we went with the masks dropping out and hand luggage flying all over the place.

word went around that another plane had crossed the runway to the other runway

while we where on our approach.

I thought the thing was going to shake its self apart untill we leveled out and had to circle for another ten mins.

Dont let it worry you at all flying is great its just the mind makes things seem worse when you judder or hit some CAT.

planes are built to take one hell of alot of punishment so dont worry sit down strap in and enjoy the movie( Airport 77) :unsure:

"we where coming in to land and could see the runway below us,

so that shows how low we where."

It is normally considered a GOOD THING to be at the same height as the runaway when you land - and unless theey have CAT3 Autoland its an even better idea to be able to see it....................

Ireland's worst air disaster occurred early this morning when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery. Irish search and rescue workers have recovered 1826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night...

Ireland's worst air disaster occurred early this morning when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery. Irish search and rescue workers have recovered 1826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night...

87332[/snapback]

Older than Rob W TBH

:unsure:

87332[/snapback]

:naughty::unsure:

;)

87332[/snapback]

Older than Rob W TBH

87335[/snapback]

Truth - but still funny................

Challenger: Countdown to Disaster

tonight, Channel 4 9pm

The story of the space shuttle's explosion in 1986, which killed all seven crew members - including teacher Christa McAuliffe, the first ordinary citizen to train for space flight. Engineers discovered a serious problem with the spacecraft's rocket boosters, leading two experts into desperate attempts to stop proceedings before take-off

Challenger: Countdown to Disaster

tonight, Channel 4 9pm

The story of the space shuttle's explosion in 1986, which killed all seven crew members - including teacher Christa McAuliffe, the first ordinary citizen to train for space flight. Engineers discovered a serious problem with the spacecraft's rocket boosters, leading two experts into desperate attempts to stop proceedings before take-off

88301[/snapback]

Quite interesting if a bit long winded.

Rob, the program has clearly stated that the astronauts didn't die instantly. It is OK to admit you are wrong occasionally you know. ;)

The cabin section did break away after the explosion

The crew did survive the explosion

They were more than likely conscious and three of them turned on their air supply

They were killed by the cabin depressurising

So there you go.

88462[/snapback]

Well they were made unconscious by the cabin depressurising (probably).

They were killed when they hit the Ocean at 200 mph.

Just to be clear. ;)

Still here

from today's Indie

" the programme didn't add anything in terms of understanding about the science or the bureaucratic process........."

88523[/snapback]

Nope, didn't add anything. Confirmed a couple of facts though... ;)

Still here

from today's Indie

" the programme didn't add anything in terms of understanding about the science or the bureaucratic process........."

88523[/snapback]

It didn't add much, but it did emphasise how safety was compromised by the pressure to launch and the promise of a billion dollar contract to the manufacturer's of the solid-fuel rockets.

Of course, with you knowing everything, it was obviously superfluous to your needs.....

Oh, and it did mention the crew weren't killed instantly but likely died due to the impact in the Ocean - did I meantion that? ;)

I must admit I didn't notice that you did ...........................

and "likely" is no scientific proof my lad................... or no more than "probably" used in the Official reports....................

I must admit I didn't notice that you did ...........................   

and "likely" is no scientific proof my lad...................  or no more than "probably" used in the Official reports....................

88547[/snapback]

There was no reason for them to have been killed before impact Rob, do you want categorical scientific proof for everything? That's not how life works.

Jesus H tap dancing christ on a bike while weeping! Just admit you're wrong for a change. ;)