The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

I've been flying regularly since I was too young to even remember now, but it's only in the last year or so that I've started to develop a fear of flying. :P Last night's jaunt from Heathrow to Frankfurt was OK, but I'm generally scared shitless of the whole procedure these days, and I have no idea why...

85982[/snapback]

We all know you've had your brown wings for years now. :steamtrain:

Chocs away.

85988[/snapback]

Mile High Club, reverse thrusters.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been flying regularly since I was too young to even remember now, but it's only in the last year or so that I've started to develop a fear of flying. :P Last night's jaunt from Heathrow to Frankfurt was OK, but I'm generally scared shitless of the whole procedure these days, and I have no idea why...

85982[/snapback]

Chocs away.

85988[/snapback]

85991[/snapback]

Aye. bet you've fiddled with many a male flight attendants Frankfurter in the toilets on route to Frankfurt. :icon_lol:

85982[/snapback]

Chocs away.

85988[/snapback]

85991[/snapback]

Aye. bet you've fiddled with many a male flight attendants Frankfurter in the toilets on route to Frankfurt. :icon_lol:

85993[/snapback]

Well I'd hope I hadn't fiddled with any female flight attendants' Frankfurters... I suppose a charter flight to Lesbos might be a different matter...

I can't say I was really scared. A bit apprehensive perhaps, and when the plane was taxi-ing on the runway, I remember thinking when is it going to get off the ground, then when it, I loved it.

I really like flying, it's a great feeling.

I wasn't scared until I went to Mallorca this year. Spent 6 hours waiting for the plane to be fixed. It was right down in front of us so we could see exactly what was going on. Spoke to one of the stewardesses about it, and she said there was a problem with the generator, and also a problem she couldn't tell us about.

Everyone else I was flying with were quite scared of flying anyway, so they got really worked up. I'd never been bothered until then, but their nerves rubbed off on me. Didn't enjoy that flight one bit.

Coming back was fine though.

Oh, the only bit I don't like it the take off, dunno why though.

The only time I've had any degree of fear was coming back into Newcastle from Majorca.

It was February and fucking freezing - 10 mins from take off the pilot came on and reported it was going to be 'bumpy' as there was freezing fog and that the runway was likely to be like an icerink! :P

We landed from the coast end and every other time I've landed at that end, the plane has slowed down sufficiently to make the first turn off towards the apron - not this time, he fucking motored straight past that and had to make the turn (bloody speedily as well) at the very end of the runway - on top of that, he was all over the place on it!!

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain::icon_lol:

Corfu airport is canny funny like, you can just about wave at some of the people sat around the pool at their hotels. You can see it in the brochure "5 minutes transfer from airport" :P

Corfu airport is canny funny like, you can just about wave at some of the people sat around the pool at their hotels. You can see it in the brochure "5 minutes transfer from airport" :P

86023[/snapback]

We went to Ipsos. Took bloody ages to transfer :steamtrain:

The only time I've had any degree of fear was coming back into Newcastle from Majorca.

It was February and fucking freezing - 10 mins from take off the pilot came on and reported it was going to be 'bumpy' as there was freezing fog and that the runway was likely to be like an icerink! :P

We landed from the coast end and every other time I've landed at that end, the plane has slowed down sufficiently to make the first turn off towards the apron - not this time, he fucking motored straight past that and had to make the turn (bloody speedily as well) at the very end of the runway - on top of that, he was all over the place on it!!

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain:<_<

86006[/snapback]

Strange. I've flown direct from Corfu to Newcastle direct in a 757 before.

Apart from an emergency evacuation once, my most fightening experience on a plane was when I was flying back from America, about 1 am local time, the 31st September, 1997. The pilot announced "he had some terrible news for us". Already being a nervous flyer, I nearly shit my pants, convinced he was going to say that an engine had blown and we weren't going to make it to land or something (I was well aware we were in the mid-Atlantic). Thankfully, he went on to say "there's been a terrible car crash in Paris, and Dodi Fayed is dead and Dianna is critically injured". There was an audible sigh of relief from everyone on board.

By the time we landed at Manchester, Dianna was declared dead. Later on I found out the match against Liverpool was cancelled. :icon_lol:

I've flown loads, from a young age (about 1 or 2) but I absolutely hate it. It never used to bother me until one time when I was flying to Lanzarote - can't remember my exact age but I was younger than 10. The plane took off, then the pilot announced there was a problem with the engine and he was turning it off and landing. Obviously they are trained to do this etc but there were a load of fire engines waiting on the runway for the plane to land and it just put me off completely, I absolutely hate flying now and always take tranquilisers if I have to.

I had to have valium to fly to Dublin, which is completely pathetic because on a bad day I can take longer to get to work..

And yes I know it's safer than cars etc etc but that whole experience really put me off.

Probably the scariest flight I've ever been on was going to Florida when I was 8. The turbulence was horrendous, and there were loads of those moments where the plane just drops like a stone and you think it's never gonna right itself. Most of those moments were followed by various drunk people throughout the plane shouting "YEEEEEEHAWWW!" like the Dukes of Hazard though, which made it all seem a bit less worrying. Good old Brits abroad. :P

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain:<_<

86006[/snapback]

Apart from an emergency evacuation once, my most fightening experience on a plane was when I was flying back from America, about 1 am local time, the 31st September, 1997. The pilot announced "he had some terrible news for us". Already being a nervous flyer, I nearly shit my pants, convinced he was going to say that an engine had blown and we weren't going to make it to land or something (I was well aware we were in the mid-Atlantic). Thankfully, he went on to say "there's been a terrible car crash in Paris, and Dodi Fayed is dead and Dianna is critically injured". There was an audible sigh of relief from everyone on board.

By the time we landed at Manchester, Dianna was declared dead. Later on I found out the match against Liverpool was cancelled. :icon_lol:

86025[/snapback]

Another example of the gross overreaction to that bint's death tbh.

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain::)

86006[/snapback]

By the time we landed at Manchester, Dianna was declared dead. Later on I found out the match against Liverpool was cancelled. <_<

86025[/snapback]

86031[/snapback]

Renton is Billy Liar man. There's only 30 days in September. This is just his way of feeling like he played a part in the whole Diana story - like people who have 9/11 stories and that. :icon_lol:

Statistically safer than driving, but physically more dangerous.

Not sure I follow. It's a fact you're more likely to drive on the way to the airport than on the flight itself (especially in some foreign countries), but that doesn't help people who have developed phobias much, unfortunately, no matter how much you tell yourself it. :P

Not sure I follow. It's a fact you're more likely to drive on the way to the airport than on the flight itself (especially in some foreign countries), but that doesn't help people who have developed phobias much, unfortunately, no matter how much you tell yourself it. :steamtrain:

86035[/snapback]

Aye, the pilot'll very rarely let you have a go like. :P

Not sure I follow. It's a fact you're more likely to drive on the way to the airport than on the flight itself (especially in some foreign countries), but that doesn't help people who have developed phobias much, unfortunately, no matter how much you tell yourself it. :steamtrain:

86035[/snapback]

I don't think I'd ever drive on the flight myself tbh :P

Anyway, the point I'm making is that if you're in a car crash, you're statistically more likely to survive than if you were in a plane crash.

86035[/snapback]

Isn't that because you are more likley to hold a driver's licence than a pilot's licence? :P

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain::scare:

86006[/snapback]

By the time we landed at Manchester, Dianna was declared dead. Later on I found out the match against Liverpool was cancelled. :)

86025[/snapback]

86031[/snapback]

Renton is Billy Liar man. There's only 30 days in September. This is just his way of feeling like he played a part in the whole Diana story - like people who have 9/11 stories and that. :icon_lol:

86033[/snapback]

August the 31st then. <_<

It's a true story as it happens, not really worth making up.

Kefalonia airport is another weird airport. We were sitting waiting on the runway for ages to take off, the pilot was quite funny and kept us entertianed as he was pissed off with the guys in the air traffic control; 'sorry folks, but it seems that the boys and girls up in the air traffic control tower have a problem with more than one plane. God help us all.'

I actually went to Kefalonia a couple of weeks after Sept 11. Me and Mrs SLP couldn't get seats together and the mackem bloke next to me kept making Sept 11 jokes as we came in to land, fueled by the fact we had an American pilot. 'ere mate, he's looking for revenge. Hope he doesn't spot a Mosque.' :P

Not sure I follow. It's a fact you're more likely to drive on the way to the airport than on the flight itself (especially in some foreign countries), but that doesn't help people who have developed phobias much, unfortunately, no matter how much you tell yourself it. :icon_lol:

86035[/snapback]

I don't think I'd ever drive on the flight myself tbh :P

Anyway, the point I'm making is that if you're in a car crash, you're statistically more likely to survive than if you were in a plane crash.

86037[/snapback]

FFS, make one typo on this place and you get crucified! :steamtrain:

I agree you're more likely to survive a car crash, but obviously you're much, much more likely to have one.