The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

I've never flown before and after reading this thread  I doubt I ever will  :P

86184[/snapback]

It's ok mate, it's perfectly safe. Planes don't even need engines according to this thread :steamtrain: Safer than walking, FACT!

86186[/snapback]

every year scheduled flights kill 500-1000 people

When you reckon how many people fly its very very very very few

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

86184[/snapback]

It's ok mate, it's perfectly safe. Planes don't even need engines according to this thread :steamtrain: Safer than walking, FACT!

86186[/snapback]

86205[/snapback]

I think you'll find I've already been through that in this thread.

I've never flown before and after reading this thread  I doubt I ever will  :steamtrain:

86184[/snapback]

It's ok mate, it's perfectly safe. Planes don't even need engines according to this thread <_< Safer than walking, FACT!

86186[/snapback]

86205[/snapback]

86206[/snapback]

WoooOOOooo. :icon_lol::P

The only time I've had any degree of fear was coming back into Newcastle from Majorca.

It was February and fucking freezing - 10 mins from take off the pilot came on and reported it was going to be 'bumpy' as there was freezing fog and that the runway was likely to be like an icerink! :P

We landed from the coast end and every other time I've landed at that end, the plane has slowed down sufficiently to make the first turn off towards the apron - not this time, he fucking motored straight past that and had to make the turn (bloody speedily as well) at the very end of the runway - on top of that, he was all over the place on it!!

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain::scare:

86006[/snapback]

Strange. I've flown direct from Corfu to Newcastle direct in a 757 before.

Apart from an emergency evacuation once, my most fightening experience on a plane was when I was flying back from America, about 1 am local time, the 31st September, 1997. The pilot announced "he had some terrible news for us". Already being a nervous flyer, I nearly shit my pants, convinced he was going to say that an engine had blown and we weren't going to make it to land or something (I was well aware we were in the mid-Atlantic). Thankfully, he went on to say "there's been a terrible car crash in Paris, and Dodi Fayed is dead and Dianna is critically injured". There was an audible sigh of relief from everyone on board.

By the time we landed at Manchester, Dianna was declared dead. Later on I found out the match against Liverpool was cancelled. :)

86025[/snapback]

Another example of the gross overreaction to that bint's death tbh.

86031[/snapback]

Renton is Billy Liar man. There's only 30 days in September. This is just his way of feeling like he played a part in the whole Diana story - like people who have 9/11 stories and that. :icon_lol:

86033[/snapback]

August the 31st then. <_<

It's a true story as it happens, not really worth making up.

86039[/snapback]

I was actually working at Manchester Airport that day in the food court in T1 arrivals. I know cos we had to turn all the fryers and broiler off as a mark of respect.

The only time I've had any degree of fear was coming back into Newcastle from Majorca.

It was February and fucking freezing - 10 mins from take off the pilot came on and reported it was going to be 'bumpy' as there was freezing fog and that the runway was likely to be like an icerink! :P

We landed from the coast end and every other time I've landed at that end, the plane has slowed down sufficiently to make the first turn off towards the apron - not this time, he fucking motored straight past that and had to make the turn (bloody speedily as well) at the very end of the runway - on top of that, he was all over the place on it!!

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain::scare:

86006[/snapback]

Apart from an emergency evacuation once, my most fightening experience on a plane was when I was flying back from America, about 1 am local time, the 31st September, 1997. The pilot announced "he had some terrible news for us". Already being a nervous flyer, I nearly shit my pants, convinced he was going to say that an engine had blown and we weren't going to make it to land or something (I was well aware we were in the mid-Atlantic). Thankfully, he went on to say "there's been a terrible car crash in Paris, and Dodi Fayed is dead and Dianna is critically injured". There was an audible sigh of relief from everyone on board.

By the time we landed at Manchester, Dianna was declared dead. Later on I found out the match against Liverpool was cancelled. :)

86025[/snapback]

86031[/snapback]

Renton is Billy Liar man. There's only 30 days in September. This is just his way of feeling like he played a part in the whole Diana story - like people who have 9/11 stories and that. :icon_lol:

86033[/snapback]

August the 31st then. <_<

86039[/snapback]

I was actually working at Manchester Airport that day in the food court in T1 arrivals. I know cos we had to turn all the fryers and broiler off as a mark of respect.

86215[/snapback]

It's what she would've wanted.

It was February and fucking freezing - 10 mins from take off the pilot came on and reported it was going to be 'bumpy' as there was freezing fog and that the runway was likely to be like an icerink! :icon_lol:

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! <_<:scare:

86006[/snapback]

By the time we landed at Manchester, Dianna was declared dead. Later on I found out the match against Liverpool was cancelled. :scare:

86025[/snapback]

86031[/snapback]

Renton is Billy Liar man. There's only 30 days in September. This is just his way of feeling like he played a part in the whole Diana story - like people who have 9/11 stories and that. :)

86033[/snapback]

August the 31st then. :scare:

86039[/snapback]

86215[/snapback]

It's what she would've wanted.

86217[/snapback]

:P

The fryers were all on timers-we were beeping away like mad during the two-minutes silence. :steamtrain:

I've never flown before and after reading this thread  I doubt I ever will  :steamtrain:

86184[/snapback]

It's ok mate, it's perfectly safe. Planes don't even need engines according to this thread <_< Safer than walking, FACT!

86186[/snapback]

86205[/snapback]

86206[/snapback]

WoooOOOooo. :icon_lol::P

86212[/snapback]

:)

86184[/snapback]

86186[/snapback]

thats quite a range................

Statistically safer than driving, but physically more dangerous.

Not sure I follow. It's a fact you're more likely to drive on the way to the airport than on the flight itself (especially in some foreign countries), but that doesn't help people who have developed phobias much, unfortunately, no matter how much you tell yourself it. :steamtrain:

86035[/snapback]

I don't think I'd ever drive on the flight myself tbh :P

Anyway, the point I'm making is that if you're in a car crash, you're statistically more likely to survive than if you were in a plane crash.

86037[/snapback]

Car crashes are so much more common that you are more likely to die in one of them than in a plane crash anyway, so it's not a misleading statistic as some people think.

+/- 2 crashes

if you stay out of S america, Africa S of the Sahara and dogy old Russian aeroplanes it drops to about 100 people a year........... = 1 accident

Statistically safer than driving, but physically more dangerous.

Not sure I follow. It's a fact you're more likely to drive on the way to the airport than on the flight itself (especially in some foreign countries), but that doesn't help people who have developed phobias much, unfortunately, no matter how much you tell yourself it. :icon_lol:

86035[/snapback]

I don't think I'd ever drive on the flight myself tbh :P

Anyway, the point I'm making is that if you're in a car crash, you're statistically more likely to survive than if you were in a plane crash.

86037[/snapback]

Car crashes are so much more common that you are more likely to die in one of them than in a plane crash anyway, so it's not a misleading statistic as some people think.

86235[/snapback]

I wish people would actually read the fucking thread! :steamtrain:

As has been intimated elsewhere, it's the nature of the potential risk that makes people (myself included) ignore the bare statistics. When you ask someone how they'd like to die, they rarely reply "ooh, I tell you what, I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

Right, just so people don't have to read it..

Yes, I agree that statistically you're more likely to be involved in a car crash than a plane crash....

however, if I had to choose whether to crash in a car, or crash in a plane, I'd choose the car.

Now, does anyone else want to point out to me that statistically it's safer to fly, because I'm not sure enough people have said it yet.

As has been intimated elsewhere, it's the nature of the potential risk that makes people (myself included) ignore the bare statistics. When you ask someone how they'd like to die, they rarely reply "ooh, I tell you what, I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

86241[/snapback]

There was a plane a few years ago in America that lost a section of it's tail and flew upside down for 15 minutes before eventually crashing and killing all on board. To compound matters, I have heard when the body is stressed like this time goes into slow motion "survival mode" and it would have felt like hours to the victims. Horrendous.

86241[/snapback]

There was a plane a few years ago in America that lost a section of it's tail and flew upside down for 15 minutes before eventually crashing and killing all on board. To compound matters, I have heard when the body is stressed like this time goes into slow motion "survival mode" and it would have felt like hours to the victims. Horrendous.

86247[/snapback]

Nearly right. It actually landed on an island, and became the reality TV series which is, LOST :P

At the end of the day it's statistically safer to fly than drive though.  Something that's escaped the attention of everyone in this thread, it would seem.

86250[/snapback]

Phew, glad you're here to point it out.

Anyone know if it's safe to drive whilst flying by the way?

86241[/snapback]

86247[/snapback]

Handy in a way though cos it could give you time come up with an escape plan.

For fuck's sake, I can't believe this is still going! :P

Fact is, while flying may be statistically safer, if you were going to crash a plane and a car and you had to choose which one you had to be in, give me the car any day of the week....

For fuck's sake, I can't believe this is still going! :P

Fact is, while flying may be statistically safer, if you were going to crash a plane and a car and you had to choose which one you had to be in, give me the car any day of the week....

86253[/snapback]

Car crash isn't gonna get you on the news though, is it?