The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

For fuck's sake, I can't believe this is still going! :P

Fact is, while flying may be statistically safer, if you were going to crash a plane and a car and you had to choose which one you had to be in, give me the car any day of the week....

86253[/snapback]

Technically I just said that, you closet Chelsea fan :steamtrain:

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been intimated elsewhere, it's the nature of the potential risk that makes people (myself included) ignore the bare statistics. When you ask someone how they'd like to die, they rarely reply "ooh, I tell you what, I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

86241[/snapback]

There was a plane a few years ago in America that lost a section of it's tail and flew upside down for 15 minutes before eventually crashing and killing all on board. To compound matters, I have heard when the body is stressed like this time goes into slow motion "survival mode" and it would have felt like hours to the victims. Horrendous.

86247[/snapback]

Renton, I think you're referring to the plane which crashed over Queens a couple of months after 9/11, which lost its rudder, inverted, stalled and crashed.

If you are, then I don't know where you dreamed this 15 minutes thing up, there was a program about it on the Discovery channel the other night and the plane was down within 90 seconds of losing the rudder....

Fact is, while flying may be statistically safer, if you were going to crash a plane and a car and you had to choose which one you had to be in, give me the car any day of the week....

86253[/snapback]

Car crash isn't gonna get you on the news though, is it?

86256[/snapback]

I'd much rather boast about being killed in a plane crash: FACT!

86253[/snapback]

86256[/snapback]

Who gives a shit? :steamtrain:

As has been intimated elsewhere, it's the nature of the potential risk that makes people (myself included) ignore the bare statistics. When you ask someone how they'd like to die, they rarely reply "ooh, I tell you what, I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

86241[/snapback]

There was a plane a few years ago in America that lost a section of it's tail and flew upside down for 15 minutes before eventually crashing and killing all on board. To compound matters, I have heard when the body is stressed like this time goes into slow motion "survival mode" and it would have felt like hours to the victims. Horrendous.

86247[/snapback]

Renton, I think you're referring to the plane which crashed over Queens a couple of months after 9/11, which lost its rudder, inverted, stalled and crashed.

If you are, then I don't know where you dreamed this 15 minutes thing up, there was a program about it on the Discovery channel the other night and the plane was down within 90 seconds of losing the rudder....

86258[/snapback]

I'm referring to a completely different plane crash a decade before actually. :P

86241[/snapback]

86247[/snapback]

86258[/snapback]

I'm referring to a completely different plane crash a decade before actually. :P

86261[/snapback]

Then it was more than a few years ago.... :steamtrain:

86253[/snapback]

86256[/snapback]

It would if you died horribly in the mangled wreckage. :steamtrain:

"I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

almost all planes crash on landing, on takeoff or go straight into a mountain - you don't feel a thing..............................

86253[/snapback]

Technically I just said that, you closet Chelsea fan :icon_lol:

86257[/snapback]

As long as it's not statistically, then all's OK... :steamtrain:

"I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

almost all planes crash on landing, on takeoff or go straight into a mountain - you don't feel a thing..............................

86266[/snapback]

And you know this how? Previous life?

86266[/snapback]

How the Dickens do you know?! I know you're the bloody Oracle on here, but you'll be telling us you were in a plane crash once and it didn't hurt one bit! :P

Right, just so people don't have to read it..

Yes, I agree that statistically you're more likely to be involved in a car crash than a plane crash....

however, if I had to choose whether to crash in a car, or crash in a plane, I'd choose the car.

Now, does anyone else want to point out to me that statistically it's safer to fly, because I'm not sure enough people have said it yet.

86242[/snapback]

I understood the first time. My point was you are much more likely to DIE in a car crash, not just be involved in one.

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

Or get hijacked and flown into a building. Or blown out of the sky.can you imagine the feeling of falling to earth?

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

Buy "Flight" magazine (its weekly) - every 6 months they publish a full list of stats and details of all accidents for every plane that is commercial - easy really

or http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

Buy "Flight" magazine (its weekly) - every 6 months they publish a full list of stats and details of all accidents for every plane that is commercial - easy really

86277[/snapback]

Do they have interviews with the dead people to see if it hurt?

86266[/snapback]

How the Dickens do you know?! I know you're the bloody Oracle on here, but you'll be telling us you were in a plane crash once and it didn't hurt one bit! :P

86271[/snapback]

never been in one thank God................ once in one that was hit by lightening - very noisy, very bright but the plane stayed up

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

86277[/snapback]

Do they have interviews with the dead people to see if it hurt?

86278[/snapback]

you really don't want the detail they publish after they've taken a close look at the bodies........... or bits

86266[/snapback]

righto....

And like your point about them gliding, I wouldn't want to find out....

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

86277[/snapback]

OK, here's one for you...

TWA plane that crashed off Long Island during the '96 Olympics. Brought down simply because the plane had been left on the apron too long with the air conditioning system left on. The aircon system heated the fuel in the centre tank to flash point and a short caused by the shoddy insulation on the wiring loom caused a spark and the fuel exploded. It resulted in a fracture which caused the nose to detatch and the plane literally fly for another half mile without a front section before it stalled and crashed......

You telling me those people felt nowt! :P

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

86277[/snapback]

OK, here's one for you...

TWA plane that crashed off Long Island during the '96 Olympics. Brought down simply because the plane had been left on the apron too long with the air conditioning system left on. The aircon system heated the fuel in the centre tank to flash point and a short caused by the shoddy insulation on the wiring loom caused a spark and the fuel exploded. It resulted in a fracture which caused the nose to detatch and the plane literally fly for another half mile without a front section before it stalled and crashed......

You telling me those people felt nowt! :P

86286[/snapback]

I heve heard it verified that when a plane explodes in mid air, many of the passengers will be alive and conscious as they fall to Earth, knowing they are going to die. Then there's burning to death during a crashed landing, etc.

In actual fact, they take into account the amount of suffering the person is likely to have felt when compensation claims to relatives are made. In the afore-mentioned 15 minutes upside down horror, the relatives of the dead were paid millions.

86256[/snapback]

... unless you're married to a jug-eared Prince of course.

to be absolutely honest I have never given my safety a second thought. I find that it's better to be ignorant to the myriad of problems that could happen and just settle back, listen to music/read a book/watch the world fly by.

what the point in worrying what-if? you, as a passenger, can't do anything anyway so sit back and enjoy yourself. At least if you're plummeting to your death you can spen whatever time you've got cursing the string of events that lead you to this end, or ticking off things you're proud of.... that's gotta be soothing.

:P

Right, just so people don't have to read it..

Yes, I agree that statistically you're more likely to be involved in a car crash than a plane crash....

however, if I had to choose whether to crash in a car, or crash in a plane, I'd choose the car.

Now, does anyone else want to point out to me that statistically it's safer to fly, because I'm not sure enough people have said it yet.

86242[/snapback]

I understood the first time. My point was you are much more likely to DIE in a car crash, not just be involved in one.

86272[/snapback]

Riiiight.

I've been in 3 car crashes, survived all three. Pretty sure there's almost 0% chance of surviving a plane crash.

Are you seriously telling me that someone is more likely to die in their first car crash than in their first plane crash??

Sorry, but bollocks. Would love to see your facts on the issue though :P