The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistically safer than driving, but physically more dangerous.

Not sure I follow. It's a fact you're more likely to drive on the way to the airport than on the flight itself (especially in some foreign countries), but that doesn't help people who have developed phobias much, unfortunately, no matter how much you tell yourself it. <_<

86035[/snapback]

I don't think I'd ever drive on the flight myself tbh :P

Anyway, the point I'm making is that if you're in a car crash, you're statistically more likely to survive than if you were in a plane crash.

86037[/snapback]

FFS, make one typo on this place and you get crucified! :steamtrain:

I agree you're more likely to survive a car crash, but obviously you're much, much more likely to have one.

86043[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

last year I was flying from Boston to Halifax. All of the previous flights had been cancelled due to bad storms at Halifax. The flight was delayed but we were told that the flight crew would give it a go but there was a very good chance that they would just turn round and come back to Boston. As we we got closer to Halifax the plane was swaying about and you couldnt see a thing out of the windows due to the amount of rain. The pilot tried to land as the plane was jumping in all directions, turbulence doesnt describe it. At the last minute he pulled up and went to do it again, which he did twice more. We eventually landed and were told we were only the second flight that had managed to land that day. The worst thing about it was seeing the air hostess strap herself in and do that little cross thing on herself, thought if she's shitting herself then it must be bad! Seriously thought my number had come up.

The only time I've had any degree of fear was coming back into Newcastle from Majorca.

It was February and fucking freezing - 10 mins from take off the pilot came on and reported it was going to be 'bumpy' as there was freezing fog and that the runway was likely to be like an icerink! :P

We landed from the coast end and every other time I've landed at that end, the plane has slowed down sufficiently to make the first turn off towards the apron - not this time, he fucking motored straight past that and had to make the turn (bloody speedily as well) at the very end of the runway - on top of that, he was all over the place on it!!

The only other time I've had to 'think about it' was after the event. Coming back from Corfu we landed at Munich for refuelling and it was only then that the pilot told us that it was a necessity as Corfu is the shortest runway in Europe and that if we'd have had enough fuel on board to take us back to Newcastle, we'd never have taken off and dropped off the end of the runway into the sea!! :steamtrain:<_<

86006[/snapback]

Strange. I've flown direct from Corfu to Newcastle direct in a 757 before.

86025[/snapback]

This was in one of the shitty old 737s that Britannia used to use. Probably couldn't wind the elastic band back far enough tbh... :icon_lol:

Probably the scariest flight I've ever been on was going to Florida when I was 8.  The turbulence was horrendous, and there were loads of those moments where the plane just drops like a stone and you think it's never gonna right itself.  Most of those moments were followed by various drunk people throughout the plane shouting "YEEEEEEHAWWW!" like the Dukes of Hazard though, which made it all seem a bit less worrying.  Good old Brits abroad. :P

86029[/snapback]

All that was missing was the 'whistling dixie' in the background! :steamtrain:

Kefalonia airport is another weird airport. We were sitting waiting on the runway for ages to take off, the pilot was quite funny and kept us entertianed as he was pissed off with the guys in the air traffic control; 'sorry folks, but it seems that the boys and girls up in the air traffic control tower have a problem with more than one plane. God help us all.'

I actually went to Kefalonia a couple of weeks after Sept 11. Me and Mrs SLP couldn't get seats together and the mackem bloke next to me kept making Sept 11 jokes as we came in to land, fueled by the fact we had an American pilot. 'ere mate, he's looking for revenge. Hope he doesn't spot a Mosque.'  :P

86042[/snapback]

Been to Kefalonia as well - most bizarre thing about that place is the arrivals hall is literally a coregated iron shack (or at least it was when I went there in 1991)...

Probably the scariest flight I've ever been on was going to Florida when I was 8.  The turbulence was horrendous, and there were loads of those moments where the plane just drops like a stone and you think it's never gonna right itself.  Most of those moments were followed by various drunk people throughout the plane shouting "YEEEEEEHAWWW!" like the Dukes of Hazard though, which made it all seem a bit less worrying.  Good old Brits abroad. :P

86029[/snapback]

86071[/snapback]

Perhaps Renton could drive the General Lee whilst he's flying :icon_lol:

86029[/snapback]

86071[/snapback]

Perhaps Renton could drive the General Lee whilst he's flying :icon_lol:

86087[/snapback]

Renton P Coltrane tbh.

I'd rather my car engine cut out whilst driving than a plane engine cut out whilst flying.

tbh :P

86028[/snapback]

the plane tho has 1, 2 or 3 more engines any of which will kepp you up

and of course they also glide pretty well...........................

I'd rather my car engine cut out whilst driving than a plane engine cut out whilst flying.

86028[/snapback]

86097[/snapback]

I saw this documentary about near disasters, which had this plane running out of fuel mid-Atlantic (there was a fuel leak, and the pilots accidentally diverted all the fuel to the leak...). The plane (some type of Airbus) had no power at all - I didn't realise that the electrics, hydraulics, etc were dependent on the engines turning. So basically it turned into a huge aluminium glider with minimal controls (there was some auxillary power supplied to the airelons via some type of wind generator, but that was it). It managed to glide over 50 miles to a safe, but very scary, landing in the Azores. The aircraft had no functioning flaps, rudder or brakes, and managed to stop just short of a sheer cliff drop at the foot of the runway. Very close thing....

86028[/snapback]

86097[/snapback]

I'd personally rather not test that theory....

I met a BA hostess at a party once - she was on the 747 that ran into a volcanic cloud south of Java at night in the early 80's

they lost all 4 and were gliding for 18 minutes before they got 2 restarted.............

the crew and passengers still have a re-union every year....

I was too little when i first flew to remember it now. I flew loads when I was little... lots of good old 13hr flights. I used to just curl up on my seat and go to sleep for it all.

Which, actually, is still essentially what I do. I love flying. And I don't mind long flights at all.... 13 hours where I just HAVE to sit and sleep, eat, watch TV, read, and play silly little computer games. I don't see how this is in any way bad???? Maybe I'm just a lazy sod.

I've never been scared when flying, not that I can remember anyways, so if I was at some point, then it's obviously not left any lasting psychological scars. My uncle died in a plane crash before I was born, but it's never stopped any of the family from flying, never made any of us afraid of planes. I guess there's no point in stopping living life and doing what you want, just because there's an offchance that it could be dangerous... even if you had to be made aware of the danger the hard way.

86028[/snapback]

86097[/snapback]

My car glides better when out of fuel to be honest :steamtrain:

I quite enjoy flying. Coming back from the US of A a couple of years back was hilarious, a fat scouse bird who had tanlines round her eyes where her glasses had been started kicking off cos a Manc family were taking the piss, calling her the 'Fat Scouse Panda'... well, it was funny for the first few minutes, but when you had 2 hours of the fat bird shouting shes going to kill the 'manc cunts' it gets abit grating.

I quite enjoy flying. Coming back from the US of A a couple of years back was hilarious, a fat scouse bird who had tanlines round her eyes where her glasses had been started kicking off cos a Manc family were taking the piss, calling her the 'Fat Scouse Panda'... well, it was funny for the first few minutes, but when you had 2 hours of the fat bird shouting shes going to kill the 'manc cunts' it gets abit grating.

86160[/snapback]

Another hazard of flying, having to sit and listen to one's compatriots. In fact, make that any form of travel :P

I first flew when I was 7 and we went to Yugoslavia on holiday. I love flying but I get very bored once we're up in the air. I can also never, ever sleep on flights which is going to be fun during the 22 hour flight to Sydney in April.

I've never flown before and after reading this thread  I doubt I ever will  :P

86184[/snapback]

It's ok mate, it's perfectly safe. Planes don't even need engines according to this thread :steamtrain: Safer than walking, FACT!

86186[/snapback]

Boy racer tbh. :icon_lol:

I've never flown before and after reading this thread  I doubt I ever will  :P

86184[/snapback]

It's ok mate, it's perfectly safe. Planes don't even need engines according to this thread :steamtrain: Safer than walking, FACT!

86186[/snapback]

Boy racer tbh. :icon_lol:

86191[/snapback]

Who? Him or me?