The First Time you Flew

Pilchard Chops

"I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

almost all planes crash on landing, on takeoff or go straight into a mountain - you don't feel a thing..............................

86266[/snapback]

And you know this how? Previous life?

86269[/snapback]

Buy "Flight" magazine (its weekly) - every 6 months they publish a full list of stats and details of all accidents for every plane that is commercial - easy really

or http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

86277[/snapback]

OK, here's one for you...

TWA plane that crashed off Long Island during the '96 Olympics. Brought down simply because the plane had been left on the apron too long with the air conditioning system left on. The aircon system heated the fuel in the centre tank to flash point and a short caused by the shoddy insulation on the wiring loom caused a spark and the fuel exploded. It resulted in a fracture which caused the nose to detatch and the plane literally fly for another half mile without a front section before it stalled and crashed......

You telling me those people felt nowt! :P

86286[/snapback]

I heve heard it verified that when a plane explodes in mid air, many of the passengers will be alive and conscious as they fall to Earth, knowing they are going to die. Then there's burning to death during a crashed landing, etc.

In actual fact, they take into account the amount of suffering the person is likely to have felt when compensation claims to relatives are made. In the afore-mentioned 15 minutes upside down horror, the relatives of the dead were paid millions.

86293[/snapback]

You don't feel a thing mate. Rob read it in a Dickin's novel :steamtrain:

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TWA plane that crashed off Long Island during the '96 Olympics. Brought down simply because the plane had been left on the apron too long with the air conditioning system left on. The aircon system heated the fuel in the centre tank to flash point and a short caused by the shoddy insulation on the wiring loom caused a spark and the fuel exploded. It resulted in a fracture which caused the nose to detatch and the plane literally fly for another half mile without a front section before it stalled and crashed......

There was a plane a few years ago in America that lost a section of it's tail and flew upside down for 15 minutes before eventually crashing and killing all on board. To compound matters, I have heard when the body is stressed like this time goes into slow motion "survival mode" and it would have felt like hours to the victims. Horrendous.

Now, its exactly this kind of thing that puts me off flying...

"I wouldn't mind a long, drawn-out awareness of my impending doom whilst trapped in a metal tube with a couple of hundred people screaming"...

almost all planes crash on landing, on takeoff or go straight into a mountain - you don't feel a thing..............................

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

Buy "Flight" magazine (its weekly) - every 6 months they publish a full list of stats and details of all accidents for every plane that is commercial - easy really

86277[/snapback]

86286[/snapback]

I heve heard it verified that when a plane explodes in mid air, many of the passengers will be alive and conscious as they fall to Earth, knowing they are going to die. Then there's burning to death during a crashed landing, etc.

In actual fact, they take into account the amount of suffering the person is likely to have felt when compensation claims to relatives are made. In the afore-mentioned 15 minutes upside down horror, the relatives of the dead were paid millions.

86293[/snapback]

You don't feel a thing mate. Rob read it in a Dickin's novel :steamtrain:

86300[/snapback]

Perhaps Rob works for an insurance company.

"Mrs Smith, your husband didn't feel a thing, honest. Here's 20 quid. "

well yeah Bizza, but it'd be a bit of a spam thread if we posted the safe arrival of every other bloody flight, now wouldn't it?

In the US, each year there are about 40,000 deaths per year in automobile

accidents vs. about 200 in air transport.

if 500-1000 people die of plane crashes then these things are more dangerous...

Robert Baker estimated 229 deaths per year from circumcision in the United States.

• 12,000 deaths per year due to unnecessary surgery

• 7000 deaths per year due to medication errors in hospitals

• 20,000 deaths per year due to other errors in hospitals

• 80,000 deaths per year due to infections in hospitals

• 106,000 deaths per year due to negative effects of drugs

40000 deaths per year from alcohol

.. you gonna stop drinking, or going to the hospital?

well I gave quite a range

:P

trying to point out that it doesn't matter.

trying to point out that you could prove that walking your dog is statistically safer at 8.30 rather than 9.00... but at the end of the day if you're gonna go, you're gonna go, so why waste time and miss out on opportunities just because of something as daft as fear?

Edited by Geordie Fish

... or crash into another plane... and everyone on one plane dies.... everyone on the other plane survives... or something to that effect.

Would like to think that last bit of your post was true though, Rob........ Actually, no, I don't like to think about it in that kind of detail at all.

*backs away from the thread*

Oh, but btw, gold star for Lazarus and "that's quite a range". *applauds*

Edited by Lou

I don't mind flying at all - long hauls can be a pain if the movies are crap and you get sat next to a freak (or behind someone who thinks whacking their seat back full tilt for the entire flight is a good idea), but for the most part it's alright.

On the seat reclining thing, I almost had a bout of air rage once when some German tosser on the way back from America put his seat back from the minute the seatbelt light went off.  I'm canny tall so it was pretty uncomfortable.  Anyway, I dozed off eventually, and must have moved my legs, only to be awoken by this tosser turning round with his neck cushion strapped round his neck, and those silly little eye things designed to block out the light on his forehead going "I vould like to know vhy you are putting your knees in ze back of my seat!"  I told him that maybe it was because I was tall and he'd had his seat fully reclined for the last 8 hours.  Anyway, he told me I needed to be more careful to which I responded "I suggest you turn around and shut up, dickhead".  He goes "No!  You are ze dickhead!", pulled his little eye things down, and turned back round. :P  Aye, that's right, I'm nails. :steamtrain::icon_lol:

I couldn't get back to sleep cos I was so livid, so I spent the rest of the journey playing keepy-ups with the back of his chair, the little prick.  I can't stand it when people are inconsiderate like that on planes - I know the seats are designed to go back that far, but I never recline mine more than about halfway because it just makes the journey unpleasant for the person behind.

Oh and I really can't understand people who are scared of flying.  It's safer than driving.

85905[/snapback]

<_<

I've had the oppositte in that a kid was behind me twatting the back of my chair (which wasn't reclined at all) and getting on my tits. And they were a family of mackems with the kid in full red and white attire, so i feel i was more than vindicated in slamming my chair back as he was getting out to leave, sending him to the ground!

Car crash isn't gonna get you on the news though, is it?

86256[/snapback]

... unless you're married to a jug-eared Prince of course.

86298[/snapback]

Who's that then?? :P

Diana was divorced by the time she croaked! :steamtrain:

86256[/snapback]

86298[/snapback]

86367[/snapback]

but she was married to him him at some point and in fact it was that marriage that propelled her into the public eye.

the apostrophe in my post referred to the missing "w" and "e" and a missing "a"

so there :icon_lol:

<_<

21 hours, NY to Brissy.  Backatcha.

86397[/snapback]

You're going to Brisvegas???

Mags why, oh why?

It was actually aimed at our English friends and their 3 hour jaunts to Europe but hey if you wanna talk the talk.

23hr to Frankfurt - 26 if you include the stop over in Dubai.

24hr to laandan. I don't know what the states is but I've been invited to a wedding in Woodstock this year, so I hate to think how long it's going to take to get there.

86256[/snapback]

86298[/snapback]

86367[/snapback]

but she was married to him him at some point and in fact it was that marriage that propelled her into the public eye.

the apostrophe in my post referred to the missing "w" and "e" and a missing "a"

so there <_<

:scare:

86393[/snapback]

*cough*

1 entry found for you're.

you're    P  Pronunciation Key  (yr; yr when unstressed)

Contraction of you are.

And at the time of her death, she was no longer married to him...

So I'll see your :scare: and raise you a :)

:icon_lol:

This game is fun!

Been to Kefalonia as well - most bizarre thing about that place is the arrivals hall is literally a coregated iron shack (or at least it was when I went there in 1991)...

86074[/snapback]

Can we play it some more? :P

"Pretty sure there's almost 0% chance of surviving a plane crash."

Not true - everyone walked away from that Air France crash in Toronto last year

I think that - in a crash were someoen is killed , 40% of the passengers and crew survive.

the Flight table often shows a couple of people killed out of say 130 on board

86266[/snapback]

86269[/snapback]

86277[/snapback]

86286[/snapback]

aye that was an odd one - it was one of number of ex Iran Air Force 747's that TWA bought - funnily enough the Iranian Air Force had one blow up out of Tehran in the same way

And if the nose comes off at 38,000 feet the drop in cabin pressure would cause everyone to pass out immediately - and its also bloody cold as well

This game is fun!
Been to Kefalonia as well - most bizarre thing about that place is the arrivals hall is literally a coregated iron shack (or at least it was when I went there in 1991)...

86074[/snapback]

Can we play it some more? :P

86410[/snapback]

Malta Luqa always used to be a hole IIRC

Edited by Rob W