Fifa to investigate Mikel threats

Craig

Fifa is to investigate claims that Manchester United and Chelsea target John Obi Mikel has received death threats, reports BBC Radio Five Live.

The Nigeria international, 18, signed for United in April 2005 but later said he had been forced into doing so.

Mikel appeared to temporarily go missing during the dispute and has since claimed he wants to join Chelsea. There is no suggestion that the death threats came from Chelsea, who are still keen to sign the teenager.

"Inside me I know where I want to go and I think Chelsea is the better place for me to be," Mikel told BBC Radio Five Live in an interview to be broadcast in full later on Monday.

United insist they have rights to the player, who is at the African Cup of Nations with Nigeria, and have counter-claimed that he has been forced into saying he wants to join Chelsea.

Fifa is now expected to decide what happens to Mikel, while it has also been suggested United and Lyn could push for punishments, including a transfer ban, to be imposed on Chelsea.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4661150.stm

How can Man United push for a transfer ban on Chelsea?

He's either Man United's player, or he isn't. It's that simple. If he signed a contract with them, he has to honour it. It's fuck all to do with Chelsea, it's down to the player himself.

I did hear somewhere else though that Man United will take £15m from Chelsea for him.

Man United have apparently asked that FIFA punish Chelsea for this Mikel business by imposing a transfer ban and excluding them from certain competitions. Whilst I think Man United are out of order asking for this sort of thing, I would find it canny funny if Chelsea got a ban from the CL or something (if found guilty of being up to no good). Following the way they behaved with Ashley Cole, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they'd done similar with this lad.

All it would do banning them from competitions is level the playing field slightly which I would have no problem with.

I saw him speaking for Mourinho at the weekend saying that he's got no interest in the England job.

Jose being Jose, you know damned well that if this was the case, he'd stick himself before the cameras and say so...

I smell Kenyon bricking it in case 'the special one' fucks of and takes Sven's job - be kind of ironic seeing as Kenyon tried to poach Ericksson a couple of years back! :P

He's either Man United's player, or he isn't. It's that simple. If he signed a contract with them, he has to honour it. It's fuck all to do with Chelsea, it's down to the player himself.

I did hear somewhere else though that Man United will take £15m from Chelsea for him.

85996[/snapback]

Now Chelsea don't have a history of tapping up players or other staff members from rival clubs. :P The player wouldn't be able to change his mind if there wasn't a club willing to sign him...

85996[/snapback]

Now Chelsea don't have a history of tapping up players or other staff members from rival clubs. :P The player wouldn't be able to change his mind if there wasn't a club willing to sign him...

86155[/snapback]

FACT?

85996[/snapback]

86155[/snapback]

FACT?

86159[/snapback]

What, that Chelsea tapped up Ashley Cole? That they tapped up Arnesen? Yes, I think these are facts.

Plus the rumours around the bid for Gerrard and the signing of Essien.

But is good to see you sticking up for Chelsea yet again... :steamtrain:

85996[/snapback]

86155[/snapback]

FACT?

86159[/snapback]

What, that Chelsea tapped up Ashley Cole? That they tapped up Arnesen? Yes, I think these are facts.

86165[/snapback]

Forget it's Chelsea for a minutes, and forget it's Man United.

One club are calling for specific action to hamper the other clubs' chances of success. You think that it's right that a club are able to do this?

What the hell has it got to do with either club? It's up to FIFA to decide what happens, seeing that it's the player who has effectively broken the contract.

Even if Chelsea have spoken to the player, if he's under contract to Man United then it's up to him to either honour the contract or suffer the consequences.

Nice to see that you're bashing Chelsea yet again... :icon_lol:

85996[/snapback]

86155[/snapback]

FACT?

86159[/snapback]

86165[/snapback]

One club are calling for specific action to hamper the other clubs' chances of success. You think that it's right that a club are able to do this?

What the hell has it got to do with either club? It's up to FIFA to decide what happens, seeing that it's the player who has effectively broken the contract.

Even if Chelsea have spoken to the player, if he's under contract to Man United then it's up to him to either honour the contract or suffer the consequences.

Nice to see that you're bashing Chelsea yet again... :icon_lol:

86168[/snapback]

Well, I don't deny that I hate Chelsea (as much as ManUre).

Regulations are there to be honoured. A player wouldn't get his head turned if there wasn't a club approaching him (and probably offer him more money or making him other promises). The regulations about the "tapping" of players are there to protect clubs, especially smaller ones, from other clubs. If a club came away scot free of tapping up players and only the players got punished then it would open the door for a club like Chelsea to simply try to poach players by throwing money at them ... what they are already doing. Players not honouring contracts is one thing, but clubs not honouring the contractual status of players is the root of the problem.

Edited by Isegrim

85996[/snapback]

86155[/snapback]

FACT?

86159[/snapback]

But is good to see you sticking up for Chelsea yet again... :icon_lol:

86165[/snapback]

Nice to see that you're bashing Chelsea yet again... <_<

86168[/snapback]

Well, I don't deny that I hate Chelsea (as much as ManUre).

Regulations are there to be honoured. A player wouldn't get his head turned if there wasn't a club approaching him (and probably offer him more money or making him other promises). The regulations about the "tapping" of players are there to protect clubs, especially smaller ones, from other clubs. If a club came away scot free of tapping up players and only the players got punished then it would open the door for a club like Chelsea to simply try to poach players by throwing money at them - what they are actually are doing now. Players not honouring contracts is one thing, but clubs not honouring the contractual status of players is the root of the problem.

86185[/snapback]

So you'll agree that it's down to FIFA to sort, not for Man United?

It's the equivelent of Christiano Ronaldo gesturing for the ref to book someone who has just fouled him.

By the way, there's no actual proof of Chelsea doing this is there? :steamtrain:

So you'll agree that it's down to FIFA to sort, not for Man United?

It's the equivelent of Christiano Ronaldo gesturing for the ref to book someone who has just fouled him.

By the way, there's no actual proof of Chelsea doing this is there? :P

86187[/snapback]

Of course it is down to FIFA to sort it, but I think that ManUre are entitled to complain about it. And there isn't the same sort of code of honour as for sportmanship on the field, this is the business side of football where several million pounds are at stake.

And for the proof: I can't see Chelsea telling Mikel "Sorry lad, but you already did sign for someone else, we unfortunately came too late and can't sign you." And taking the Cole and Arnesen actions into context I don't think that Chelsea deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Isegrim

Closet Chelsea fan tbh.  <_<

86200[/snapback]

:P

At least it means I'm losing the "you and Craig are the same person" tag now :steamtrain:

86203[/snapback]

No, it just means that Craig seems to be a Chelsea fan, too... :icon_lol:

Closet Chelsea fan tbh.  :)

86200[/snapback]

At least it means I'm losing the "you and Craig are the same person" tag now :icon_lol:

86203[/snapback]

No, it just means that Craig seems to be a Chelsea fan, too... <_<

86209[/snapback]

:steamtrain: He'll love that!

Closet Chelsea fan tbh.  :scare:

86200[/snapback]

At least it means I'm losing the "you and Craig are the same person" tag now :steamtrain:

86203[/snapback]

No, it just means that Craig seems to be a Chelsea fan, too... :icon_lol:

86209[/snapback]

Bollocks! Not a fucking chance in hell would I support that bag 'o' shite! :)

<_<