Facebook

Anorthernsoul

Never had a Facebook account. Not so much because of privacy concerns but I don't really care about what's going on in the day to day lives of 95% of the people I know and I doubt they'd care much about what's going on in mine.

Had one years ago, deleted it, set up a new one a couple years ago.

I have it there purely for Messenger and if someone wants to get in touch in general.

Under no circumstances will I actually read my newsfeed.  It's boring and I'll end up thinking a lot less of the people I know.

My life is of no interest to me, let alone the NSA.

I have it but mainly for keeping touch with a very large family. 

I dont understand these people that have 700 “friends” on. People randomly staying in touch with old acquaintances that would have long disappeared in natural selection.

I have one but really it's just to have a footprint for people to be able to contact me through. I don't do anything with it whatsoever apart from check messages.

The data thing is disturbing if you think too much about it but really, they know fucking everything already man - we're trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted now.

Mostly just use it for messenger and somewhere to dump holiday photos so my mum can see them these days. 

Apart from the potentially dodgy source of the data (which is problematic of course) that CA have used for brexit or trump or whatever whats the problem here? Is anyone surprised that social media is just a big information gathering scheme? 

I had to mute all of the messages I was getting because I got bored to death of being tagged into one those 'tag a mate who does x, y, z' things.  Like others I only have it for messenger and tbh that's more of a negative than a positive.  It's too easy for birds to find you and get in touch.  If I wanted to see you again pet I'd have given you my number instead of sheepishly leaving your bed in the early hours of the morning!

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

I had to mute all of the messages I was getting because I got bored to death of being tagged into one those 'tag a mate who does x, y, z' things.  Like others I only have it for messenger and tbh that's more of a negative than a positive.  It's too easy for birds to find you and get in touch.  If I wanted to see you again pet I'd have given you my number instead of sheepishly leaving your bed in the early hours of the morning!

batting them away tbh 

Got a friend request off this lass I barely knew but was in my class at middle school. I don't think she went to our high school but, in all honesty, I can't remember either way. The bizarre collecting of 'friends' is as CT alludes to, just bizarre. She's fucking bogging as well.

I do think however Facebook is an excellent community tool for keeping touch. I’m in a metal detecting community (obvs) and in my village we have a online community (well moderated) which is great for local issues / events / warnings etc.

Just not cool for cats anymore (if it ever was).

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

boldon has a metal detecting community, of course it does. :lol:

No silly, my metal detecting club has a community online so we can see when digs are on etc ;)

But the Boldon community is great for when thieves are about or when events are taking place or when the villagers need to come together to save the library from vicious labour cuts etc.

Actually I bumped a park car and put that on the community to trace the owner. As I said, more used by old farts these days.

Had one at uni when it was for uni students only. Deleted it once I realised that all the people I went to uni with were balloon knots.

My mam has one now, she’s in her 60s and uses it to look at her mates kids wedding photos and sigh whenever I’m over visiting 

The one GOOD thing Facebook is good for is promoting shit, if you're an artist/creative type you can get your stuff out there for free (Or at a cost depending on how far you want to push it).

Also if you run club events/gigs it is a great advertising tool.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I'm not on it. I was years ago but it's shite. As soon as a family member started asking why I never "liked" their posts, I knew it was time to go.

h voice that keeps on calling me

"There's a voice that keeps on calling me

Down the road, that's where I'll always be.
Every stop I make, I make a new friend,
Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."

a voice that keeps on calling me

Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

a voice that keeps on calling me

the road, that's where I'll always be.

I thought I was the only person in the world not on Facebook :D

Last thing I want to see if some fuckers picture of their very expensive steak and chips with a  £10 bottle of wine in a top restaurant, while I'm stuck at home skint eating Aldi fishfinger sarnies. 

They used a red filter on the picture of Corbyn though. And unlike with Williamson, they didn’t take a picture of him wearing his usual suit and tie. Wonder why not?