Estate agents

Dr Gloom

Think I mentioned before but we had one estate agent at the last house who came round and basically talked the place down from arriving and said we should put it up for £X which was about £20k less than we were hoping for. The place was nice as well, period property and we'd spent a canny bit of money on it over the 11 years or so we'd been there. My lass has good taste (in interior design at least) so I'm not trying to take credit for it really. Anyhoo, we got somebody else in, much to the surprise and chagrin of the first bint who was all negative about the place. We had 3 showings and two of them offered the full asking price (i.e. what we were hoping to get for it in the first place). tl/dr: They're fucking cunts

Edited by Alex

the thing that never ceases to amaze is how incompetent they are at their job. they need no qualifications and are rarely capable of answering the most basic questions about a property. their skills don't tend to extend far beyond driving and the basic motor skills required to turn a key in a door.  

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Nah, simply registering your intent with an estate agent has been going on for years and doesn’t lead to the overall effect of the housing market. At the end of the day you choose to register knowing full well that the agents duty is to the vendor.

It also depends where you’re buying and what the market is like. If you want to beat the crowd and get a chance before a board goes up then registering is a must.

If I was after a house in a set area and was keen, then I would have no problem giving an agent by budget. All he can then do is give me first bite at the cherry having matched me up. From their it’s all down to negogiation.

*Seller assumes I have that budget anyway or I wouldn’t be viewing*

Market forces then determine the rest. If I know property’s like the one Im after are rare to the market and it’s the one I want, then I’m not going to mess around.

How can you claim that? The housing market is ridiculous, not just in London. The amount I've paid for a 3 bed terrace is silly, but that's the market in the area I'm living. 

nationwide.jpg

How can young people afford to buy their own home without significant help?

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

How can you claim that? The housing market is ridiculous, not just in London. The amount I've paid for a 3 bed terrace is silly, but that's the market in the area I'm living. 

nationwide.jpg

How can young people afford to buy their own home without significant help?

The rise of the housing market is not down to buyers joining a mailing list. It’s down to lack of new houses over the last 30 years and a growing population. Pure old supply and demand.

How any young people manage these days without Mam and Dads help is a mystery.

Massive council build is needed.

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

The rise of the housing market is not down to buyers joining a mailing list. It’s down to lack of new houses over the last 30 years and a growing population. Pure old supply and demand.

How any young people manage these days without Mam and Dads help is a mystery.

Massive council build is needed.

You cannot state that it doesn't lead to the inflation of the market. You're not a market expert.

I’ve worked for 3 of the largest house builders in the country and now work for a group that provides social housing (as well as builds) across the NW. 

There are numerous reasons for the housing bubble but a “massive council build” wouldn’t solve them

6 minutes ago, strawb said:

I’ve worked for 3 of the largest house builders in the country and now work for a group that provides social housing (as well as builds) across the NW. 

There are numerous reasons for the housing bubble but a “massive council build” wouldn’t solve them

30 years off not enough new houses and a lack of new council houses are the main culprit pure and simple.

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

30 years off not enough new houses and a lack of new council houses are the main culprit pure and simple.

I didn’t say it wasn’t. I said a massive council build wouldn’t solve the myriad issues with the housing market.

I’m quite confident in my knowledge of an industry I’ve worked in for 15 odd years, but if it makes you feel better write to your council and ask them about their development plans. You could suggest a massive build

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

If you put your house up for sale for £300,000 and the estate agent sends me to view it, you are going to pretty well assume that I can pay the £300,000.

As for registered buyers, quite often you will get the call long before the board goes up. ( Though I guess your arsey way with people shines through and you hear nothing) :)

And if I know you can afford 350k, I can hold out for more.

Gloom saw a list with people's budgets on it, some of which he knew, and you think this is normal practice and acceptable? You'd be happy with your confidential data being stared? Aye righto. Fucking hell, as well as selling sofas were you a second hand car salesman by any chance? 

4 hours ago, strawb said:

I didn’t say it wasn’t. I said a massive council build wouldn’t solve the myriad issues with the housing market.

I’m quite confident in my knowledge of an industry I’ve worked in for 15 odd years, but if it makes you feel better write to your council and ask them about their development plans. You could suggest a massive build

:D

Edit; I am a fanny’s hair away from selling Fist Hall, I can confirm Estate Agents are incompetent idiots. 

12 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

I am.

Congrats on your new castle as well.

:lol: sure thing fatso. Like you're an expert on politics, music and cooking too? 

Thanks, it's lovely.

On 10/04/2018 at 18:28, strawb said:

What do you think is the answer Strawb? 

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Congratulations Dave, you fucking baldy cunt. You're all right grown up now. 

My next purchase after that was pizza and wine, then a comic book movie.

This is the 2nd big life event I celebrated on my own while she's off celebrating with her sisters. :lol::( 

12 hours ago, NJS said:

What do you think is the answer Strawb? 

Well the issues are councils not having the money to do a massive build, social housing providers the same since their budgets were cut, archaic planning laws stopping development of brownfield sites, land banking by the larger housing builders and a move into building PRS developments from some developers rather than build to sell. That’s before you get to a massive skills shortage in the construction industry, so even if the will and money to build loads of houses was there we couldn’t build at the required rate without a lot of foreign labour (hot topic) or a massive rise in construction wages to drive recruitment and training (which reduces profitability).

Dont know the answers to the issues though mate or I would run for government.