Summer signings 2018

Kid Dynamite

Where do we strengthen and how much do we spend?

For me:

Dubravka £4mil

Kenedy £15mil

Slimani £20mil

No 10 £10mil+

Mitrovic could recoup £15mil of that and I can see us selling Merino for £15mil too.

I’d rather keep Merino personally as an injury to Shelvey/Diame has us playing Hayden. Ditto for Manquillo if one our full backs is injured 

I think we need to buy for the 1st squad at; CF(£20m), LW(£15m), #10(£20m), CM (£15m) =c£70m

Cover for CM, LB, RB = c£15m

8 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Where do we strengthen and how much do we spend?

For me:

Dubravka £4mil

Kenedy £15mil

Slimani £20mil

No 10 £10mil+

Mitrovic could recoup £15mil of that and I can see us selling Merino for £15mil too.

I’d rather keep Merino personally as an injury to Shelvey/Diame has us playing Hayden. Ditto for Manquillo if one our full backs is injured 

I want Dubravaka and Kenedy for sure, not sure we've seen enough of Slimani to make a permanent signing, and a thigh injury managed to keep him out for more than a month of his time here. He's missed 27 games through injury since signing for leicester just last season which is pretty poor.

I really want us to keep Merino, I think with the proper time off to sort out his back he'll be an excellent player who just hasn't been able to force his way past Shelvey and Diame (who is in the form of his life at the moment so fair enough) 

Mitro will go hopefully and end the obsession with someone who has admitted he can't play the way benitez wants him too but some folk are still desperate to have in the team.

Jay Rodriguez has been in but hes not been the player he was since that terrible injury before the last world cup, though I would love a Burnley lad to playing for us!

As for signings from elsewhere...god knows, could do with a 10 but Perez has been ace of late, a better striker for sure, someone to properly compete with/take some gametime from Ritchie and give him a rest, ideally someone quicker.

Aye Perez has been good lately, but there's far better out there and if he gets injured we've nobody else who can play that role the way Benitez wants.

Agree about Slimani like. He's looked decent in his brief cameos, but he hasn't scored, and has only played, what, 40 minutes?

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aye Perez has been good lately, but there's far better out there and if he gets injured we've nobody else who can play that role the way Benitez wants.

Agree about Slimani like. He's looked decent in his brief cameos, but he hasn't scored, and has only played, what, 40 minutes?

What about Pogba? hes been poor the last couple of seasons but Im sure under Rafas coaching he could be a decent player

49 minutes ago, The Fish said:

True, but strikers coming to the premier league are notoriously hit and miss (Mitro for example). The Dutch fella we nearly spent £15mil on has scored 1 goal all year iirc. I'd like to see a bit more of Slimani first but he's got pedigree, is used to the league and seems to be buying into Rafa's work ethic. We could do worse. Charlie Austin could be alternative but he's a sick note as well

Jay Rodriguez is an option but from what I've seen of him he's not dissimilar to Perez. Shaqiri at no.10 maybe? 

8 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

True, but strikers coming to the premier league are notoriously hit and miss (Mitro for example). The Dutch fella we nearly spent £15mil on has scored 1 goal all year iirc. I'd like to see a bit more of Slimani first but he's got pedigree, is used to the league and seems to be buying into Rafa's work ethic. We could do worse. Charlie Austin could be alternative but he's a sick note as well

Jay Rodriguez is an option but from what I've seen of him he's not dissimilar to Perez. Shaqiri at no.10 maybe? 

Think it's unfair to say Mitro is a hit or a miss. He's scored goals in the top flight and in the Championship, he just doesn't play the way Benitez wants and as such won't feature for Newcastle unless Benitez decides we're going to play a different style. 

Slimani has fewer Premier League goals and assists than Mitrovic, and none for us thus far. I like the look of him, but I'd not be shocked if we end up looking elsewhere.

Shaqiri doesn't strike me as a player that would fit well in Benitez's style. Also, isn't he more a wide attacking player?

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Think it's unfair to say Mitro is a hit or a miss. He's scored goals in the top flight and in the Championship, he just doesn't play the way Benitez wants and as such won't feature for Newcastle unless Benitez decides we're going to play a different style. 

Slimani has fewer Premier League goals and assists than Mitrovic, and none for us thus far. I like the look of him, but I'd not be shocked if we end up looking elsewhere.

Shaqiri doesn't strike me as a player that would fit well in Benitez's style. Also, isn't he more a wide attacking player?

Shaqiri can play anywhere in a 3 behind a front man iirc. He can spank them in with both feet from all angles and has good close control. I think he'd be an upgrade on Perez and he's only 26. Wouldn't be cheap though

If the current bottom 3 go down, then I can see there being a lot of interest in

Jonny Evans

Jay Rodriguez

Salomon Rondon

Jack Butland

Shaqiri

Joe Allen

Fraser Forster

Nathan Redmond

Charlie Austin

Ryan Bertrand

Not sure Rafa would like Shaqiri, talented player but believes his own hype a bit too much.

I honestly don't think Rodriguez is good enough to improve us as it stands tbh but fuck knows with any player who has been under Pardew. 

Charlie Austin is essentially a functionining injury in human form, I've quite enjoyed shedding those sort of players over the last couple of years.

8 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Shaqiri can play anywhere in a 3 behind a front man iirc. He can spank them in with both feet from all angles and has good close control. I think he'd be an upgrade on Perez and he's only 26. Wouldn't be cheap though

Doesn't work as hard as Perez does to close down and harrass though. He's a bit of a MoTD player, for me. Like Zaha at Palace.

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If the current bottom 3 go down, then I can see there being a lot of interest in

Jonny Evans

Jay Rodriguez

Salomon Rondon

Jack Butland

Shaqiri

Joe Allen

Fraser Forster

Nathan Redmond

Charlie Austin

Ryan Bertrand

There are a couple more Southampton players I like, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse are both better players then they've shown this season and Tadic would be a shout if we're talking 10s

Seeing as we’ve never spent more than 11mill on a player since Ashley bought the club I think some are over indulging in their Football Manager type fantasies here a bit :cuppa:

We'll probably sign the goalie but I seriously think Kenedy and Slimani are outside our likely budget without selling players. Which probably means getting rid of Gayle & Mitro at least which to me means yes we'll likely get some new free faces in but the squad won't improve that much. 

5 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Cedric from Southampton is a good right-back who'd look excellent with some proper coaching.

Ive only ever really in two games against us and he was shite in both, is he actually decent?

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Seeing as we’ve never spent more than 11mill on a player since Ashley bought the club I think some are over indulging in their Football Manager type fantasies here a bit :cuppa:

We'll probably sign the goalie but I seriously think Kenedy and Slimani are outside our likely budget without selling players. Which probably means getting rid of Gayle & Mitro at least which to me means yes we'll likely get some new free faces in but the squad won't improve that much. 

Spent more than £11m once last summer, twice the summer before, and 5 (five) times the season before that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Spent more than £11m once last summer, twice the summer before, and 5 (five) times the season before that.

not much more than that though, surely? what's the record fee under ashley? 14m on wijnaldum? 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Ive only ever really in two games against us and he was shite in both, is he actually decent?

Aye, he had a good season last year, had a good solid Euros where Portugal went on to win it. He's in that group with Redmond, Tadic etc. who are being throttled by crap coaching.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

not much more than that though, surely? what's the record fee under ashley? 14m on wijnaldum? 

Yeah, £14.5m on Wijnaldum, £13m on Mitrovic. £12m each on Thauvin, Shelvey, and Townsend.