Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Finally got around to watching the Dictator on Netflix, and had quite a few decent chuckles. On the whole it was better than I was expecting.

Cloud Atlas

Came out in The US last year, not sure why it's been delayed for release here so long. Out at the end of the month I got free tickets to a preview. I was dreading it. A 3 hour film that links 6 stories over hundreds of years by the Matrix folk who got so far up their own arses by the end of that trilogy. Sounded like a pretentious load of twaddle I would be aching to get out of. I was never ever bored though. I was often lost and unsure what any of them had to do with each other, but I think I'll get more and more of it with subsequent watches. Some might say there is too much twaddle about tolerance whether it's race, sexual orientation, age or futuristic"true bloods"....but i think it's well balanced with some broad humour, particularly the Jim Broadbent stuff in the old peoples home, which plays like Maggie Simpsons escape from nursery on The Simpsons.

Cloud Atlas 3/10

Save yourself the 3 hours.

Kermode catching up with me in his latest blog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n66GotwXN9I

Wrong again CT

Kermode catching up with me in his latest blog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n66GotwXN9I

Wrong again CT

I think you beautifully sum up the film and our viewpoints ups when you say....

I was often lost and unsure what any of them had to do with each other, but I think I'll get more and more of it with subsequent watches.

That might appeal to you but I prefer to "get it" on the first watch.

I appreciate what you say but maybe you are wrong and you wont get more of it and it is just pretentious twaddle?

I think you beautifully sum up the film and our viewpoints ups when you say....

That might appeal to you but I prefer to "get it" on the first watch.

I appreciate what you say but maybe you are wrong and you wont get more of it and it is just pretentious twaddle?

Ohhhhh, so if you don't understand something the first time, you just bin it off?

That explains so much.

Scandi night chez Meenz, courtesy of the wonderful Film Four.

Festen is really very good. Of course the Dogme ethos is trumped-up nonsense, and the Danish language is so ugly you can't tell who's supposed to be drunk and who isn't, but the script and performances are terrific.

You, The Living is a bizarre collection of loosely interlinked skits on sadness and mortality, played out against a grey and faded Swedish urban landscape. The humour is dark, bone-dry and, for the most part, very quiet. If anything it reminded me of some of the more experimental parts of Monty Python's Meaning Of Life, which is generally not a bad thing.

Hot Tub Time Machine.

This ambitious film is technically brilliant, wonderfully scripted and beautifully shot.

Poignant yet majestic with flawless casting and astounding acting.

24 hours later and I am still pondering the depths of its message to us all.

10/10

Hot Tub Time Machine.

This ambitious film is technically brilliant, wonderfully scripted and beautifully shot.

Poignant yet majestic with flawless casting and astounding acting.

24 hours later and I am still pondering the depths of its message to us all.

10/10

:lol:

Has anyone watched "A Field In England"?

Such a strange film, pretty pointless actually.

TiVo'd it, got five minutes in, figured it wasn't going to be my kind of thing. Did the tone change at all?

Which three actors would make you give a movie a go; one that you wouldn't necessarily chance it?

Ditto actresses & Directors?