Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Watched Elysium on the plane on Saturday - good idea but ultimately disappointing - I'm starting to recognise the traits that Matt Damon exhibits in all his roles confirming my overall view that very few "actors" act - they just portray themselves.

Yeah, it looked bizarre at times but it all worked really well. The uses of 'bad' CGI worked great as well. I'll definitely be giving it another watch sometime, especially as I missed Bill Murray's cameo. Shame it's not out down there, it luckily has a run at a cinema right next to me as the closest one after that is a good hour or so drive away.

Those videos are interesting Happy Face, he definitely uses both those shots extensively in Grand Budapest Hotel, of course the videos have some examples from the trailer but there are a lot of shots of Ralph Fiennes character and his friend Zero's faces close up and centered. Beautiful film.

The 'bad' cgi was implemented to great effect. Made everything look even more dolls housey than his usual films. Love Wes Anderson, glad that Grand Budapest is doing so well as it's a terrific film. Fiennes is a superb actor.

Cap'n 'Murica - The Winter Soldier

Enjoyed this one. Better than the first CapAM film, and the whole omniscient surveillance theme was an interesting one to go with. I agree with Kermode though - they should've gone a bit further with it, given the film clocked in at over 2 hours. The first end credit scene

where we meet Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch] has me looking forward to the next Avengers even more. The second end cred scene wasn't really worth staying for.

Thing with both of the CapAm films, neither has seemed like *his* film whereas Thor and Iron Man are definitely centre stage. A lot of focus placed on Nick Fury in this one, as well as Black Widow. They might as well give the latter her own film, it would definitely work (although I'm not sure Marvel want to take the risk financially).

Worth a watch if you liked any of the other Avengers films. 7/10.

I watched Cap2, wish I'd watched it in 2D mind.

It was good, but as you say Thor and Iron Man "own" the scenes they're in, but Steve Rogers' Cap doesn't have the same presence, other than when he's being a bit badass. He should be played like a firebrand general portrayed by Willis or similar; the guy is supposed to be 90.

Oh and Marvel's Quicklsilver (on the right)

avengers-2-scarlet-witch-quicksilver-set

Unlike Sony's version that looks like "The cutesy androgynous nerdy one" from a teenager's favourite boy band

x-men-quicksilver-days-future-past-empir

Actually think Ryan Reynolds is a decent fit for Deadpool, but only if it's rated R and only if it's a Marvel film, not a Sony one.

Also, Hugh Jackman is a good Wolverine in the 1st film (and the cameo in First Class), but he's softened too much in later movies. It's the story and the scripts that've let them both down.

Who's a better fit for Deadpool?

There's only one Dirty Harry ;)

( I did not know Clint turned down the Bond role , offered to him after Connery, as he thought it should be an English actor's role

Would've been great.

" The name's ..... I have no name" :D )

Saw Captain America 2 last night. Think it's my favourite of the Marvel films, which is surprising as there's not a lot of attraction to the character. Much better than the first which kind of fell apart in the second half, some unnecessary commitments they made in that were thankfully only minor distractions here.

Reynolds was grand as deadpool, the script/movie itself was god awful

Yup.

FOX owns the rights to Deadpool as part of their X-Men deal and they've not got a movie right yet, imo. So I'm hoping that when they lose the rights, Marvel/Disney pick it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Man of Steel

I re-read the reviews from this thread and general agree that the proper "drama" bits were better than the cgi.

Would rather have had a full film on that and save a fuller war with Zod for another film which I think is what Fish suggested.

Still can't see how a fight against Batman can be fair one like.

I think the closest they will get will be as with Dark Knight Returns, though I doubt it will be done as well.

Man of Steel

I re-read the reviews from this thread and general agree that the proper "drama" bits were better than the cgi.

Would rather have had a full film on that and save a fuller war with Zod for another film which I think is what Fish suggested.

I think the closest they will get will be as with Dark Knight Returns, though I doubt it will be done as well.

:aye:

DIdn't you just waste 90 minutes of your life watching NUFC?

Aye but atleast I was able to appreciate it for the shower of shit i knew it would be. I was also close enough to Pardew for him to overhear my abuse without directing it at him in an overly aggressive gonna get thrown out kind of way. :picknose:

Spider-Man 2. Pretty poor, far too much cgi, some of the worst one liners on recent memory and a thoroughly miserable ending. Jamie Foxx is the baddie too which was a strange choice

Also just seen TASM2.

Overall I enjoyed it - good movie for someone who was a major fan of TASM cartoon from the 90s. Riddled with annoying bits and moments that add nothing to the film.

Can see the split over Garfield's spidey, but he's a good fit for the role. The one-liners come as a part of the character, although by the end I was going mad at hearing the spiderman themesong.

Good bits: 1)

The handling of Gwen's death was spot on. Great scene and for me, the film could've ended on a major high note right there. Shame there won't be anymore Amy Stone but she was the right fit for the role.

2) Andrew Garfield and Dane DeHaan both turned in sound performances. Like DeHaan a lot, took to the Harry Osbourne character well. They rushed his descent into villainy though.

3) End credit scene. Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique will be one to watch. Not sure what movie this will be though?

Bad bits:

1) Fuck off with shite cgi. The truck chase scene added nothing but to lazily introduce a character. Leads to...

2) Fuck off with this Rhino. I appreciate transfering the comic version to the screen is difficult, but some nobend poorly-acted-stereotypical russian baddie blatantly being shoehorned in to the upcoming Sinister Six film didn;t work at all.

3)

Setting up the Sinister Six film just by throwing all their origins into Oscorp's special project room. It's going to be shit. Stop tying so many bad guys/plot devices to Oscorp, it’s lazy as hell.

4) Didn’t buy Jamie Foxx as a quiet, social outcast. I didn’t mind the adaptation of Electro otherwise.

Miles better than the first one, but it’s gutting that they couldn’t have let the license go so that we could’ve had Spiderman in the Avengers. Would’ve really been something special.