Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I bought the dvd and it wouldn't work in my player so I gave it to a mate.

I think I probably have seen at least 90% of it. I don't remember sitting down to watch it from start to finish, but I think I've seen most of it across multiple Channel 4 Sunday night screenings.

Americans go to the jungle. Kill, Rape & pillage. Hurts them more than their victims. Right?

Well, sure, there's that, but it's also got one of the finest* death scenes ever.

It's a good film though.

*over-acted.

Bladerunner is great, watched it first when i was about 12 so i think that may have had some influence. Its also (felt like) one of the most sampled films of all times, during the rave years there was always some track with samples from it. Then there was the classic 'Remake' track of the Vangelis theme that was on Renaissance.

The Final Cut Blu ray is under a tenner now. It's a film that really benefits from the blu ray makeover.

https://www.amazon.fr/Blade-Runner-%C3%89dition-Sp%C3%A9ciale-Harrison/dp/B000XIABTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468916897&sr=8-1&keywords=blade+runner+final+cut+blu+ray

Edited by Park Life

Platoon is probably Stone's best work.

I enjoyed 12 monkeys too. Good turn from Brad Pitt, though it's ages since I watched it.

Bladerunner is a classic man

I was massively disapointed with Blade Runner when I first watched it. Think I was expecting something like Star Wars with Ford starring and of course it's very different. Love it now though. Particularly good to watch stoned.

Shite.

EDIT: Like everything Ridley Scott did between Alien and The Martian.

Blade Runner changed sci fi forever. It's probably one of the most copied films of all time.

When I said "it's frowned upon" that meant people don't need to keep telling me I'm wrong :lol:

I realise the status of these films in popular culture, and that objectively speaking, if a barometer of a films quality is it's endearing popularity, then I am completely wrong and it's a failing of mine that I don't have the intellect or heart to see what it is that appeals to so many others.

Not gonna lie and say I got more out of them than I did though. Bored, bored bored.

When I said "it's frowned upon" that meant people don't need to keep telling me I'm wrong :lol:

I realise the status of these films in popular culture, and that objectively speaking, if a barometer of a films quality is it's endearing popularity, then I am completely wrong and it's a failing of mine that I don't have the intellect or heart to see what it is that appeals to so many others.

Not gonna lie and say I got more out of them than I did though. Bored, bored bored.

Something like De Sica's 'Bicycle Thieves' is hard going and critics go on about it as they do Kurosawa's 'Ran' and they both require repeated viewing to digest the beauty and you realise how trapped you are in modern cinema conventions and you have to fight to raise your game....But Blade Runner man! It's practically a kids film. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089881/

Edited by Park Life

Something like De Sica's 'Bicycle Thieves' is hard going and critics go on about it as they do Kurosawa's 'Ran' and they both require repeated viewing to digest the beauty and you realise how trapped you are in modern cinema conventions and you have to fight to raise your game....But Blade Runner man! It's practically a kids film. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089881/

Exactly. If I'm watching a kids sci-fi film, I'll watch one with fighting spaceships. Not one where a robot ponders his reality by looking at an oragami horse.

While I'm being inflammatory, the Lion King was on Channel 5 over the weekend. That's shite too.

Can't stand Rowan Atkinson's performance in particular.

3EAaQ.jpg

You've never watched Platoon?! That's more shocking than Ewerk's cinematographically impoverished childhood!

I watched a documentary on that the other day. What a fucking film.

Dafoe

Berenger

Sheen

Depp

Whitaker

All pretty unknown at the time.

Is anyone going to see the new Bourne film?

Princess Bride still one of my favourites

(Jimbo has lost all credibility here mind)

that happened WAY before this thread....

Everybody wants some!! At least 3 laugh out loud moments, amazing soundtrack and one of the those strange films where nothing really happens. Absolutely loved Boyhood and wanted to see this on the back of that. Going to have a go at the Before trilogy now.

Everybody wants some!! At least 3 laugh out loud moments, amazing soundtrack and one of the those strange films where nothing really happens. Absolutely loved Boyhood and wanted to see this on the back of that. Going to have a go at the Before trilogy now.

I watched this last week and really enjoyed it. Didn't think it was a patch on Dazed and Confused though which is obviously very similar in tone and by the same director. I also tried to watch Slacker, the debut by the same guy, the other week but really struggled with that.

Close encounters is a bit slow and the climax could only be seen as a worthwhile pay off 40 years ago.

I always preferred the first dialogue free half hour of 2001 with the monkeys to the hour in space and the dialogue free last half hour. Think Americans like the bit in space more because they don't realise it's Rigsby. Genius from start to finish though, obvs.

I have just been speaking to a lad about movies and I have never watched;

Close Encounters of the Third Kind or 2001 Space Oddyssey

Worth a watch?

Definitely.

2001 is a long watch and slightly dated but the beginning of the film us worth it. Close encounters is fucking superb.

Close Encounters... was on recently, being noteworthy-ish as it doesn't seem to get repeated as much as a lot of films of that ilk / era. It still looked good although I, admittedly, didn't watch it properly. Thought it was amazing as a kid like.