Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I'm not even a big fan of his popular films, think Red State was the last one i watched.  It was canny.  I've got a lot of time for how he's handled himself though.

After Copout (where he had little control and got all the blame) he's only doing stuff that he has full control of and he's happy to live or die by it.  They all make their money back from his fanboys so he gets to make more.

He might have gone too far with Yoga Hosers though.  Moose Jaws might make a loss if even his fans are getting tired of them.

Best thing about him is bringing Tell Em Steve Dave (specifically Walt Flannagan)  to the giant podcast bin.

He definitely seems to operate in a bit of a bubble where he now keeps himself insulated from criticism, and consequently the quality of his output has plunged to untold depths. Scott Mosier seems to have done the right thing by distancing himself from Smith's projects.

Fair play though, he's a very likeable and funny bloke, has carved out a nice life for himself and has a following that adores him, so he must be doing something right. Plus Tell Em Steve Dave is the podcasting highlight of my week and it wouldn't exist without him.

Also, if you want to understand the Trump phenomena, over the years Tell Em Steve Dave has provided interesting insight into the mindset of three reasonably well off middle aged white men with nothing to be angry about but completely indignant at the politically correct society that leads to students getting a safe space.

The religious one is massively concerned about muslims, the godless one "jokes" about blacks a bit too much and doesn't even use the veneer of jokes when talking about feminists, the liberal one is the wealthiest and while he offers most balance to the other two, he's not liberal enough to think that taxes are a good thing at all.

They aren't bad people, I'd happily drink with any of them, but having spent an hour a week with them for 6 years Trump's popularity isn't all that surprising.

Holy Grail :dunno:

Giz a clue.

It's the epitome of juvenile humour and was written by/starred a Canadian.

Holy Grail obviously a favourite too, for very different reasons.

Star Trek Beyond.

Too much of a comic-book caper, they are too heavy on action, the original movies were a little more cerebral, now its just whizz-bang no-brainer action, after the great first movie, I'm tired of this reboot franchise.

Started watching Yoga Hosers last night but turned it off in disgust. I managed to get all the way through Tusk which was awful but this was miles worse. What the fuck has gone wrong with Kevin Smith? I know he was never what some people made him out to be but the complete lack of any sort of quality in his films now makes me wonder how any of them get made.

+1

It's like a student project, with the same Canadian accent joke used every 60 seconds

The Siege Of Jadotville.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and good to hear a rare survival story told on screen. Considering the Irish had very little battle experience and the little support they had it was a valiant effort, and pretty sickening the treatment they received for the rest of their lives. Sad really.

It's not a funny film.

Most of the characters are hateful.

I begrudged the slag getting to be a slag and have her victims fighting over her. That she should judge them after stringing then along and lying.

It's a fantasy for dysfunctional people to enjoy that supposes their dysfunction were attractive/endearing/excusable to all around them and will be rewarded.

But, despite being a patsy, Firth's deadpan delivery is excellent and provides laughs.

Being a slag is all about female empowerment, you chauvinist pig.

I'm all for females feeling empowered by putting it about as much as men.  Not at all empowering to secretly tell two men they're the father of the same baby though.  That's just being a duplicitous slag.

Read the first book ages ago and couldn't for the life of me get my head around why so many people seem to find a character like that interesting in any way. The best thing you could say about it is that it's a short, easy read.

it's the kind of shit i can't bear to be in the same room as - to be filed along with x factor, cold feet, brothers & sisters and all the other schmaltzy crap the wife likes.

I'm all for females feeling empowered by putting it about as much as men. Not at all empowering to secretly tell two men they're the father of the same baby though. That's just being a duplicitous slag.

Spoilers ffs! ;)

Read SDoBJ when it was serialised in the grauniad in the 90s. Was okay and of its time.