Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Dunkirk. 

Thought that it was excellent. 

Top notch soundtrack, tension built throughout and stunning cinematography. 

Realised coming out that at points I'd been sat there with my hands in my mouth due to the tension. 

Found myself welling up a bit at the credits at the end, totally taken aback. 

Watched it yesterday and like Tooj thought the tension and cinematography were excellent. I thought it was largely good but it didn't convey the numbers involved at times. Anyway, overall very good and definitely nothing like films based on US battles/soldiers.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday too, difficult to say that I "enjoyed" it, probably due to the fact that it's a fairly truthful account of what actually happened.  Agree with Tooj, not many films have moved me in the way this did., a stunning piece of cinema.  Mark Rylance is probably one of history's greatest character actors, he's brilliant as the skipper of one of the "little ships". Didn't know till this morning that Harry Styles was in it, he was very good too and could have a big future as an actor ahead of him. 

I wasn't going to bother with it but after a mate described it as "the opening of Saving Private Ryan for a whole movie" I'm defo going to give it a go.

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Atonement had one of the longest cinematic scenes ever about Dunkirk, was amazing and horrific, hell on earth. Filmed in hartlepool iirc. Amy comparison with this? 

Yes, Hartlepool is also a horrific, hell on Earth. :razz:

• Like 1

Watched Trainspotting 2 last night. It's a canny enough film but it was never going to live up to the original. Still worth a watch though

On 23/07/2017 at 10:23 AM, Howmanheyman said:

Watched it yesterday and like Tooj thought the tension and cinematography were excellent. I thought it was largely good but it didn't convey the numbers involved at times. Anyway, overall very good and definitely nothing like films based on US battles/soldiers.

Agree with this 100%.

Went to see Dunkirk last night and enjoyed it, though I'm not sure how much it'll stand up to a repeated viewing as it all hinges around these mini escalations of tension where you're not really sure who is going to come out alive. Also, it needed some light comic relief, like someone accidentally straddling a torpedo as it hurtled through the sea, that kind of thing.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Well there's 2hrs 15mins I won't get back. Lovely special effects mind, and the Planet Mul is somewhere I could happily while away my days but the plot is woeful. There's zero chemistry between the lead couple and Delevinge's eyebrows had more charisma than the hormonal teenager that was meant to be the lead man. The 2 saving graces were Ethan Hawke and the cute little chameleon creature who shits out whatever you feed him. I knew there was a reason why I always let the ex take the bairn to sci-fi films...

8 minutes ago, catmag said:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Well there's 2hrs 15mins I won't get back. Lovely special effects mind, and the Planet Mul is somewhere I could happily while away my days but the plot is woeful. There's zero chemistry between the lead couple and Delevinge's eyebrows had more charisma than the hormonal teenager that was meant to be the lead man. The 2 saving graces were Ethan Hawke and the cute little chameleon creature who shits out whatever you feed him. I knew there was a reason why I always let the ex take the bairn to sci-fi films...

As soon as I saw the trailer I thought "That'll be pretty but total shit." Same as Dark Tower.

Definitely a film I'll end up watching when I've nowt to do though.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Atomic Blonde and The Dark Tower last week.  Both were watchable but AB was much the better of the two.  Worth watching for Theron's nipple on when she goes into the ice bath.

I've not read any of the Dark Tower books but I assume it's a lot more in depth then the film which seemed to have been made very much for children.