Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

City of God. 

Been meaning to getting round to this as I've seen it recommended many a time and wasn't disappointed. A bit violent at times but brilliantly shot. (For those who haven't seen it......It's about a budding young photographer growing up in the Brazilian slums in the 60s then 70s and the gangsters/drug gangs around at the time). Excellent film.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Ghost Stories. Started off very promising and suspenseful. As with most horrors the end either makes or breaks it. I can see a 50/50 split on people would think of the finale.

Quite clever but took a slight shine off it.

Think that sums up exactly what I thought of it.  The Paul Whitehouse section was the high point for me but I didn't think they pulled off the ending really.  Still enjoyed it though.

16 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

City of God. 

Been meaning to getting round to this as I've seen it recommended many a time and wasn't disappointed. A bit violent at times but brilliantly shot. (For those who haven't seen it......It's about a budding young photographer growing up in the Brazilian slums in the 60s then 70s and the gangsters/drug gangs around at the time). Excellent film.

Aye, it's class. Not seen it in ages

On 02/09/2018 at 21:03, Howmanheyman said:

City of God. 

I watched it at the cinema when it first came out. Brilliant film but the only seats they had available were front row. I felt violated afterwards 

• 2 weeks later...

Blackkklansman. Disappointing really....good performances from all but it was clunky as fuck and pretty cliched. Although I understand the relevance to the rest of the film,  the end bit where things were brought right up to date struck me as Lee coming up with the idea in post production last year and just bolting it on. The current Mrs PL hated it. She wanted to see the spy who dumped me :lol:

oh and and a couple in front of us walked out after about 30mins...not sure what they were expecting? :unsure:

Edited by PaddockLad

13 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Blackkklansman. Disappointing really....good performances from all but it was clunky as fuck and pretty cliched. Although I understand the relevance to the rest of the film,  the end bit where things were brought right up to date struck me as Lee coming up with the idea in post production last year and just bolting it on. The current Mrs PL hated it. She wanted to see the spy who dumped me :lol:

oh and and a couple in front of us walked out after about 30mins...not sure what they were expecting? :unsure:

Spike Lee laying it on thick as per.

• 2 weeks later...

Where Eagles Dare, Burton and Eastwood, what a combination. Classic.

Mandy with Nicholas Cage, watched about a quarter of it as that was all we could put up with. It's well fucked up, it's had good reviews across the board but it is too strange for my tastes.

American Animals, based on a true story it is another one with good reviews but the ending is shit IMO. Walked away from it thinking that was a waste of time.

:D

For a young chap, navigating the stormy waters of early adolescence, in search of the remotest chance of seeing some fleeting glimpse of late-night tv titties, any film of Wor Ingrid’s was an absolute home-banker. 

( that’s banker…). 

Unless it was Where Eagles Dare… but I’m almost positive I probably tore the neck off it when she showed up in that anyway :D

• Haha 1

Venom.  It seems to have been getting panned by critics and took about five minutes to see why.  The dialogue is poor, there's surprising little chemistry between Hardy and Williams and the performances in general of the three strong leads was poor.  That said, by the end I found myself quite enjoying Eddie Brock/Venom combination.  It feels like they missed a trick with the humour there could have been with them but what they got in was quite good fun.  

3 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Venom.  It seems to have been getting panned by critics and took about five minutes to see why.  The dialogue is poor, there's surprising little chemistry between Hardy and Williams and the performances in general of the three strong leads was poor.  That said, by the end I found myself quite enjoying Eddie Brock/Venom combination.  It feels like they missed a trick with the humour there could have been with them but what they got in was quite good fun.  

Yeah the critical reviews I've read have put me off paying to see it in the cinema. Sounds like Sony still can't get the Superhero film right. Clunky dialogue, pointless sub plots and lots of bad CGI instead of practical effects.

I thought Hardy would have the range to play the character and I thought the successes of Deadpool and Logan would convince the studio to let the source material speak for itself. It's a shame as it could have easily been decent, but it sounds pretty bad with only a few redeeming moments.

20 hours ago, The Fish said:

Yeah the critical reviews I've read have put me off paying to see it in the cinema. Sounds like Sony still can't get the Superhero film right. Clunky dialogue, pointless sub plots and lots of bad CGI instead of practical effects.

I thought Hardy would have the range to play the character and I thought the successes of Deadpool and Logan would convince the studio to let the source material speak for itself. It's a shame as it could have easily been decent, but it sounds pretty bad with only a few redeeming moments.

I actually think it benefitted from not being a Marvel studios film mind.  Their polish has gone a bit too far now for me, I liked (to an extent) the fact that it was a bit clunky.  If I'd paid to see it it, I would have less than impressed mind.

I went to see A Simple Favour last night.  It's a bit of a weird film that comes across as Gone Girl made by the Hallmark channel.  Reasonably entertaining but again I wouldn't have liked to have paid for it.

19 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I actually think it benefitted from not being a Marvel studios film mind.  Their polish has gone a bit too far now for me, I liked (to an extent) the fact that it was a bit clunky.  If I'd paid to see it it, I would have less than impressed mind.

I went to see A Simple Favour last night.  It's a bit of a weird film that comes across as Gone Girl made by the Hallmark channel.  Reasonably entertaining but again I wouldn't have liked to have paid for it.

I don't follow? You liked it (to an extent) because it wasn't as well put together?