Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

All the money in the world

Canny enough. John Paul Getty, old cunt and oil tycoon, had his grandson kidnapped. They demanded $17mil and he told them them fuck off. He eventually offered $2.9mil but only cos $2.2mil was tax deductible. He made his son pay him back the other $700k at 4% interest :lol:

21 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

An actor needs range to play a superhero now? 

Should always be the case that the actor isn't just a cardboard cutout. Superhero movies only got good after the director, studio and actors paid the source material a little more than a cursory glance. Material that has revealed a characters depth over the decades.

17 hours ago, David Kelly said:

So you do follow.

In that case it just doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't you want a well put together film? 

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

In that case it just doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't you want a well put together film? 

Exactly what Ayatollah said.  Most of the most polished music in the world has very little interest to me and personally I find that in a lot of cases action films made in the 80's and 90's are, while a bit clunky in places, far more enjoyable to watch than better put together movies that are being released these days.

3 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Exactly what Ayatollah said.  Most of the most polished music in the world has very little interest to me and personally I find that in a lot of cases action films made in the 80's and 90's are, while a bit clunky in places, far more enjoyable to watch than better put together movies that are being released these days.

So Tango & Cash > say, Central Intelligence?

I'd say we agree, but not because the latter is more polished, just that the latter has to be marketable for all time zones, whereas Tango and Cash was just put out to live and die by it's on merits/flaws. So even a flawed movie that is hasn't been attacked by producers, marketing execs and lawyers will be a better watch than some of the focus group diluted shit.

I personally think the Marvel movies that are all in house, tend to be more true to their story than the Sony (previous iterations of Spiderman), or Fox (X-men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil) properties. Although not all Marvel films are good, they're at least seem to be less diluted by dickheads. 

But Justice League, BvS, Man of Steel and Suicide Squad look like halfway through the writing process some shiny suited producer burst in and vomited Michael Bay-ness all over the storyboard. Loads of good films have been ruined by studio interference.

Did you enjoy the Expendable movies, Fast & the Furious? These for me are less well polished, but enjoyable films.

19 hours ago, The Fish said:

So Tango & Cash > say, Central Intelligence?

I'd say we agree, but not because the latter is more polished, just that the latter has to be marketable for all time zones, whereas Tango and Cash was just put out to live and die by it's on merits/flaws. So even a flawed movie that is hasn't been attacked by producers, marketing execs and lawyers will be a better watch than some of the focus group diluted shit.

I personally think the Marvel movies that are all in house, tend to be more true to their story than the Sony (previous iterations of Spiderman), or Fox (X-men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil) properties. Although not all Marvel films are good, they're at least seem to be less diluted by dickheads. 

But Justice League, BvS, Man of Steel and Suicide Squad look like halfway through the writing process some shiny suited producer burst in and vomited Michael Bay-ness all over the storyboard. Loads of good films have been ruined by studio interference.

Did you enjoy the Expendable movies, Fast & the Furious? These for me are less well polished, but enjoyable films.

Never watched Central Intelligence but I do like Tango and Cash, particularly the bit where the couple fucking in a car just pop up out of nowhere during a fight/chase sequence for no reason other than to get some tits into the film.  They'd never get away with that now and it's not an improvement in cinema.  I can't stand Kevin Hart so that put me off Central Intelligence.

I watched the first Expendables and it was ok but didn't make me want to watch the rest.  Fast and Furious films are terrible.  I was forced to watch them with the ex and until the Rock showed up I couldn't see why they were getting made at all.  When he turned up they turned into something else (ie there was a plot, however slim) and I was reasonably entertained by that one.  Not enough to watch any further ones when I didn't have someone else forcing me to go.  Skyscraper is the best action film I've seen in ages.

Don't get me wrong, Venom wasn't great and there have been numerous Marvel films that are much better and I dare say I would have had higher expectations if Marvel had made it in a similar vein to Deadpool.  But if Marvel had made it like Black Panther, I probably would have enjoyed it less.

Incidentally since we've mentioned films with The Rock, apparently he is going to play Jack Burton in a remake of Big Trouble In Little China.  I'm prepared to say now that this one of the worst idea's I've heard and it will be fucking terrible.

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

Never watched Central Intelligence but I do like Tango and Cash, particularly the bit where the couple fucking in a car just pop up out of nowhere during a fight/chase sequence for no reason other than to get some tits into the film.  They'd never get away with that now and it's not an improvement in cinema.  I can't stand Kevin Hart so that put me off Central Intelligence.

I watched the first Expendables and it was ok but didn't make me want to watch the rest.  Fast and Furious films are terrible.  I was forced to watch them with the ex and until the Rock showed up I couldn't see why they were getting made at all.  When he turned up they turned into something else (ie there was a plot, however slim) and I was reasonably entertained by that one.  Not enough to watch any further ones when I didn't have someone else forcing me to go.  Skyscraper is the best action film I've seen in ages.

Don't get me wrong, Venom wasn't great and there have been numerous Marvel films that are much better and I dare say I would have had higher expectations if Marvel had made it in a similar vein to Deadpool.  But if Marvel had made it like Black Panther, I probably would have enjoyed it less.

Incidentally since we've mentioned films with The Rock, apparently he is going to play Jack Burton in a remake of Big Trouble In Little China.  I'm prepared to say now that this one of the worst idea's I've heard and it will be fucking terrible.

He is not playing Jack Burton it is a sequel not a remake.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a864984/dwayne-johnson-big-trouble-in-little-china-sequel-not-remake/ 

On 10/10/2018 at 14:26, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I'm at John Carpenters gig next week. Got tickets to meet him before hand and get him to sign 2 records 

IMG_20181011_174159_zpswj6yh5yl.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'm at John Carpenters gig next week. Got tickets to meet him before hand and get him to sign 2 records 

IMG_20181011_174159_zpswj6yh5yl.jpg

Is he still doing electro soundtrack stuff? 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Is he still doing electro soundtrack stuff? 

Yeah, he's just doing a gig full of his film soundtracks

Assault on Precinct 13

Halloween

The Fog

Big Trouble in Little China

The Thing

Escape From New York

They Live

Christine etc.

He's just done the soundtrack for the latest Halloween film, although it's not massively changed since the original 40 years ago 

• Like 1

Bad Times At The El Royale.  Totally my kind of fllm, a bit Tarrantino and a bit Film Noir with one of the greatest actors of the last 30 years in Bridges and an excellent soundtrack.  A little bit too long perhaps, and they didn't really make the most of Thor's character but I thoroughly enjoyed it.