Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

On 27/01/2019 at 17:21, Christmas Tree said:

I’m having a serial killer week ( and yes @renton only leavers are serial killers), as I’ve had a few days off.

Some cheesy one, Bone collector, copycat and Zodiac and Kalifornia.

See they are busy re-making the absent stranger? with Zac effron as Bundy.

Boner Collector was your nickname in the 80s iirc. 

13 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Overlord.  Was ok but a bit disappointing after the trailer looked really good.

Thought you meant the b&w war film for s ninite there 

On 06/02/2019 at 13:54, Alex said:

It’s really good. It’s about the D-Day landings (aka ‘Operation Overlord’) and was notable for its use of actual WW2 footage. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlord_(1975_film)

Yeah I looked it up on IMDB.  It looks interesting, I'll try and see if I can get it online somewhere.

Alita.  Absolute dogshit (although not as bad as Robin Hood).  The visuals and the fight scenes were pretty good but the script is fucking dreadful.  I may have missed the point and maybe it's a kids film but it was a massive disappointment given the people involved.

Mary Queen of Scots. 

Decent enough, Margot Robbie choosing the “pretty plays ugly” part of Lizzy I. 

Saoirse Ronan is canny enough as Mary the Sweaty, but the whole thing is just a bit “Hollywood”. 

There’s some jarring (to me :D), mistakes- Carlisle is depicted as a brooding, dark outpost surrounded by massive mountains, numerous scenes of the border are shot in Glencoe, and the biggest is the meeting between Mary and Lizzy- never happened. 

Other than that, it’s well shot, Guy Pearce is decent as William Cecil. 

Needs more tits. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Mary Queen of Scots. 

Decent enough, Margot Robbie choosing the “pretty plays ugly” part of Lizzy I. 

Saoirse Ronan is canny enough as Mary the Sweaty, but the whole thing is just a bit “Hollywood”. 

There’s some jarring (to me :D), mistakes- Carlisle is depicted as a brooding, dark outpost surrounded by massive mountains, numerous scenes of the border are shot in Glencoe, and the biggest is the meeting between Mary and Lizzy- never happened. 

Other than that, it’s well shot, Guy Pearce is decent as William Cecil. 

Needs more tits. 

In the ancient & Royal Scottish Border Burgh of Jedburgh the house where MQOS rode out from to visit her injured lover Boswell at Hermitage Castle in Liddesdale still exists, as does the blood soaked fortress 50 miles distant in the "debatable lands"

I only mention this because on the day Mickey Quinn scored 4 on his debut v Leeds we went out in Jedburgh that evening and I pulled the cousin of a world famous Scottish international rugby player who looked like she'd been at the game too and had stolen two of the match balls and shoved them down her top. They remain to this day the biggest pair of norks I've ever seen. 

I bet you weren't expecting an anecdote that directly links your excellent film review to Newcastle United were you? :)

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Ant said:

Polar on netflix

mads mikkelsen as JohnWick/Kill bill basically

utterly shite, with Matt Lucas being some sort of annoying wierdo (i know!) the whole way through it 

Yeah, I like Mikkelsen but it was fucking gash. I thought Bird Box was decent, speaking of Netflix flicks 

Starting to make good on a vague new year's resolution to finally watch all the unwatched/shrinkwrapped DVDs and Blurays on the shelves before deciding whether to keep them or give them to the charity shop and belatedly embrace the Netflix age. They're alphabetised (because I'm a normal person) so I figured I might as well work from left to right and start with Amadeus, which I remember seeing as a little kid and being freaked out by the death scene. Quite why I was still watching by then I've no idea since it's (a) about classical music and (b) so bloody long (even more so with this being the director's cut) but as ridiculous and historically wonky as it is, I can't say I didn't enjoy it this time round. May have done a bit of air conducting once or twice. :lol: 

• Haha 2