Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

20 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Public service announcement 

The best version of the best film ever made is on BBC1 tonight at 12:15

Apocalypse Now. The Final Cut

Call me crazy but I think the original cinema releases for both Apocalypse Now and Blade Runner are the best versions.

Yes they may not of been the "full" realisation of the director's vision but they were the actual releases that changed the way we looked at cinema. The effect they had on cinema from that moment on is huge and the later released director's cuts never had that effect and influence.

If you haven't seen Heart of Darkness then make sure you do as soon as you can - the fact that Apocalypse Now was even made is just a feat in itself.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

Call me crazy but I think the original cinema releases or both Apocalypse Now and Blade Runner are the best versions.

Yes they may not of been the "full" realisation of the director's vision but they were the actual releases that changed the way we looked at cinema. The effect they had on cinema from that moment on is huge and the later released director's cuts never had that effect and influence.

If you haven't seen Heart of Darkness then make sure you do as soon as you can - the fact that Apocalypse Now was even made is just a feat in itself.

I would have agreed with you, seeing the original at the cinema as a teenager was an absolute stunning for me. I still remember it vividly, I've never had a cinematic experience like it.

I've watched the original dozens of times since

I thought Redux was horribly disappointing, the whole rhythm of the original was gone.

I saw the final cut  a couple of years ago, again at the cinema, the first time I had seen any version at the cinema in a couple of decades. Going in I was worried that it wouldn't live up to the original at it would be a disappointment but it was a genuine masterpiece

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

The Snowman. The Snow Pedo, more like

Another manifestation of Mrs. F’s utter Christmas insanity is that we are, as a family, wiping our arses with the Snowman.…

… as we do every year, because she’s a few slices short of a loaf. 

I’m not kidding either- she was frantic in November that she wouldn’t be able to get any in due to shortages. :lol:

en_The_snowman_carta_Igienica_1200x1200.

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

I’m taking Fist Jnr. to see Spidrman; Too Far From Homecoming To Come Home, I’ll let you know if it’s anything other than the standard formulaic cack. 

Going to the Everyman though, so I can at least have a beer whilst enduring it. :lol:

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m taking Fist Jnr. to see Spidrman; Too Far From Homecoming To Come Home, I’ll let you know if it’s anything other than the standard formulaic cack. 

Going to the Everyman though, so I can at least have a beer whilst enduring it. :lol:

The franchise really seems to have nailed the pithy titles there anyway

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wolf Creek 

Dont usually watch horrors (since my 20’s) but saw a trailer for this on TikTok which looked good. Unfortunately it turned out that the trailer was for Wolf Creek 2

I will not be watching Wolf Creek 2 as I remembered why I don’t watch horrors during Wolf Creek 1

Edited by Christmas Tree
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Piper Alpha. 

Fucking terrible series of fuck ups. 

The poor blokes in the accommodation block… 

I’ll watch that tomorrow. 

Fucking scary going to live on one of those fuckers. 

I was quite surprised that Deepwater was a floating or semi floating rig. I couldn’t quite understand how they manage to keep it stable enough to drill.

The first rig I went on was a semi-submersible, and they roll about in heavy seas like a ship ( they’re technically classed as ships, and registered as such). 

Maybe it was just me, but I was always very aware of where my escape route was, wherever I was, on whichever rig. 
On arrival you’d be given a safety tour, and there were lads who’d be bored and not paying attention and I’d always think

“ Walking BBQ”. 

I always wore clothing that would keep me warm if I had to jump, whereas there were lads stilling about in jeans and whatever. 
That’s not to say I permanently on edge, far from it, but they’re hazardous sites and I took the the advice above from an old hand who’d been on them for decades. 

• Like 2