Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I've never heard of anyone that didn't enjoy it.

Ok. Vastly overrated though.

I think its one of those movies which if you have been told by everyone is great then you'll be mildly disappointed. However, if you dont know anything then it will be good.

Had a similar experience with Last King of Scotland. I was expecting a masterpiece but ended up being...well....meh.

Edited by Holden McGroin

I think its one of those movies which if you have been told by everyone is great then you'll be mildly disappointed. However, if you dont know anything then it will be good.

So, vastly overrated then. :lol:

So, vastly overrated then. :devil:

i thought it was great, but i perhaps benefitted from the fact that I'd heard nothing about the film before hand so expected nothing.

there we are then

So, vastly overrated then. :devil:

i thought it was great, but i perhaps benefitted from the fact that I'd heard nothing about the film before hand so expected nothing.

there we are then

I think you'd have enjoyedit even if other people said it was good.

Class film.

Stalingrad

Did the hand-held shaky camera thing and a multitude of lost limbs five years before Saving Private Ryan, but I still thought it was absolute horse shit. It didn't help that it was dubbed like. I think they only had one voice over artist though as none of the characters really became distinghuishable until an hour and a half in (has anyone ever seen a well dubbed live action film?). But even getting past that (which is VERY difficult) it just looks shit. Obviously a big budget that's all on screen in terms of portraying battle, but it lacks basic lighting continuity, a bloke shoots himself in the head and it's a full second before the blood hits the wall behind him, every low ranking soldier is against the war and sympathetic to the other side, all the top brass are your typical blood thirsty Nazis, soldiers just get up during gunfights and walk off.

pap!

Twelve and Holding

Not quite as obviously touting for controversy as the director's debut "L.I.E." (though I suppose not every film can feature a jovial paedo who's the pillar of the local community), but it still manages to cover pyromania, child-on-child violence, Lolita syndrome and clinical obesity, so that should push a few people's buttons. Couple of obvious plot flaws offset by some surprisingly decent kid acting, and all in all I was quite taken by the atmosphere of the whole thing.

Cloverfield.

Watching someones home video of a party (which is what the first fifteen minutes or so equates to) is pretty dull but once you get past that it's a really good watch (though not as good as some of the over the top reviews I've seen). The way they only showed glimpses of the monster and never made any attempt to explain what it was or where it came from is a masterstroke. It could have easily turned out to be another mess like Godzilla but I think what they set out to do (which for me seemed to be as much about the fact that every major world event from now on will be captured on film because of our increasing use of techology) really worked. I don't know whether I'd really want to watch it over and over again but it's defintely worth seeing.

Ratatouille.

Good but not in the same league as either of the Toy Stories, Shrek or Monsters Inc and for kids I would think it would be well back on Finding Nemo too.

The animation was top notch like.

Point Blank.

Lee Marvin did a much better job of being hard and mean as fuck than Mel Gibson did in Payback and Angie Dickinsons tits were a nice distraction too. Didn't like some of the 60's editing though which seemed to be trying to be a bit too trippy for its own good.