Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Just watched District 9. At first it seems like abit of a pisstake where the alines are living in a slum and are obsessed with catfood but as the film goes on it actually turns out to be pretty decent.

If I have to give it a rating - 7.5/10. I'd definitely watch it again.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Enjoyed it, and it was reasonably faithful to the book, although Erika Berger was barely in it at all. Considering one of the key moments of the book is

how Salander lets her guard down and allows herself to fall in love with Blomkvist, only to see him and Berger together

isn't dealt with.

Will have to watch the second one to see if they put that right. Otherwise, great.

Centurion. I'm not sure what it was really like cos I ended up watching it in two parts cos I was falling asleep on Friday night. Which always fucks a film right up.

I think it was ok though - I enjoyed the first hour more than the last bit but I dunno if that's cos I watched the last bit 24 hours later. :D Lots of gore and swords lopping people in half and stuff, so if you're into that you'll like it.

The Prestige

Honestly, I've had this lying around to watch for about a year. I really don't know why I never watched it earlier than tonight, as I thought it was quality.

moon - it was ok but personally I can't see what a lot of the fuss was about - 30m budget you'd expect a bit more. Thought the Clint, Pop Will Eat Itself, Mansell soundtrack was brilliant.

District 9 - Amazing. I'll never be able to face a prawn cocktail again but for the budget and no name talent it was brilliant. Peter Jackson should have a rest from directing and just produce for a while if this is an example of the gems he finds. It ended perfectly for a sequel but from what I've read it's not likely to happen.

edit: because unlike Gemmill I made a mistake. :D

Edited by sammynb

Thought Incredible Hulk was decent, much better than Ang Lee's as an action film based on a comic book, even if Ang Lee's was more artistically worthwhile.

Metropolis. 1927 silent film. Actually really good, was expecting to be bored to death. Really easy to get into despite lack of dialogue.

Considering it is a classic by one of the great director, it's good to know ;)

The new footage could have ruined it though :icon_lol:

Metropolis. 1927 silent film. Actually really good, was expecting to be bored to death. Really easy to get into despite lack of dialogue.

See that's where it's a funny one.

The original shown in Germany was 157 minutes long but US cinemas refused to show anything longer than 90 minutes, for commercial reasons (which also meant Battleship Potemkin was never going to be a hit), so the original we all know isn't actually the original - for starters the US cut out the titty scene.

HF have you seen any of the restored/rediscovered versions?

What's fucked up is the first time I saw it, it was the 80 minute Giorgio Moroder version :icon_lol:

Edited by sammynb

Went to the cinema for the first time in 5 months yesterday (#shittheydonttellyouabouthavingchildren), went to see The Girl Who Played With Fire. Like the first one it stuck religiously to the book.

It suffered because, like the book, it's not a particularly rounded story and it left you wanting the story to conclude, which it will when the third one comes out in 6 months time.

It was overly long and i spent the last hour worrying about getting home late for the babysitter!!!

See that's where it's a funny one.

The original shown in Germany was 157 minutes long but US cinemas refused to show anything longer than 90 minutes, for commercial reasons (which also meant Battleship Potemkin was never going to be a hit), so the original we all know isn't actually the original - for starters the US cut out the titty scene.

HF have you seen any of the restored/rediscovered versions?

What's fucked up is the first time I saw it, it was the 80 minute Giorgio Moroder version :icon_lol:

I saw a free copy that came with The Times. Not sure what the running length was. Not sure I'd be arsed to watch it again for the new footage like.