Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

If anyone enjoyed Oldboy and/or the earlier Sympathy For Mr Vengeance then you might be interested in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance which has just come out on DVD in asia link.

It's out on limited cinema release in the UK in February.

67242[/snapback]

been looking forward to it for a long time but I've heard its disappointing.

Welcome to Dongmakgol came out around the same time (not sure if its on DVD yet though) , it stars the guy who played Mido in Old Boy. Heard good things about it. Might be worth checking out.

67325[/snapback]

Most the reviews I've seen were canny positive Link.

Watched that Emily Rose thing last night, didn't rate it. I was getting bored towards the middle/end.. and it certainly wasn't scary. Decent concept though, I just expected to find it more interesting than I did.

Watched that Emily Rose thing last night, didn't rate it. I was getting bored towards the middle/end.. and it certainly wasn't scary. Decent concept though, I just expected to find it more interesting than I did.

67521[/snapback]

Watched that a couple of weeks ago, wasn't up to much, I was wondering though, if you're being attacked by an invisible force, why does the dark make it any scarier?

67521[/snapback]

Watched that a couple of weeks ago, wasn't up to much, I was wondering though, if you're being attacked by an invisible force, why does the dark make it any scarier?

67524[/snapback]

;) Fair comment like.

I found it funny in places, as I usually do with horror films. That girl playing the lass who was possessed had a cushty job, most of her lines were just "aaaaaaaaaarrrghgghhhhhh" together with strange facial expressions..

The first in the 293-part Narnia series. A nice enough adaptation - all rather twee, preposterous and very, very English, but then that's the whole point really...

67539[/snapback]

Just like the book then ;)

DOOM.

Pretty crap really but good fun for a bunch of drunk lads.

I don't pay any attention to reviews and anybody who writes a book about how to appreciate films should be shot. Films should entertain or enlighten. If they don't do either then they are basically directors writers and actors having a big mutual wank.

The Aristocrats - Funny as owt. The description of a man fisting his daughter with an arm the size of Popeye's was inspired. ;)

Batman Begins - I was loving it until he sent lieutenant Gordon the antidote before he was gassed, silly plot point but annoying.

Useless child actors, slow moving yet poorly explained plot, shoddy looking CGI. A boring kids film, and the end couldn't come soon enough.

67868[/snapback]

Just seen it and have come to the conclusion that your opinion is bizarre to say the least. It is utterly faithful to the book in much the same way Lord of the Rings was. As such I would say the film is almost beyond criticism. I also completely disagree with your assertion of the acting and CGI, the latter of which I thought was remarkable.

As for it being slow moving and a kids film, well yes, what the hell did you expect? A bit like saying the LotR is about hobbits and elves really. At the end of the day Narnia does what it says it will, and is a good nostalgic trip for adults who read the book as a kid, and a brilliant film for kids who haven't read the book.

Edited by Renton

Useless child actors, slow moving yet poorly explained plot, shoddy looking CGI. A boring kids film, and the end couldn't come soon enough.

67868[/snapback]

Just seen it and have come to the conclusion that your opinion is bizarre to say the least. It is utterly faithful to the book in much the same way Lord of the Rings was. As such I would say the film is almost beyond criticism. I also completely disagree with your assertion of the acting and CGI, the latter of which I thought was remarkable.

As for it being slow moving and a kids film, well yes, what the hell did you expect? A bit like saying the LotR is about hobbits and elves really. At the end of the day Narnia does what it says it will, and is a good nostalgic trip for adults who read the book as a kid, and a brilliant film for kids who haven't read the book.

69293[/snapback]

I agree, i was dragged to see this and the new Harry Potter and Narnia was a hell of a lot more bearable. Wouldn't really go out of my way to recomened it to anyone but it was interesting enough to sit through!

67868[/snapback]

69293[/snapback]

Kids films can still be entertaining for adults - see Toy Story, Shrek, most Disney films are watchable at least. If kids enjoy this film then good for them - I didn't. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more had I read the book, but again this doesn't have to be a neccessity - I enjoyed the LotR films despite not reading the books first.

Being a kids film based on a book does not excuse it from being shite!

67868[/snapback]

69293[/snapback]

Kids films can still be entertaining for adults - see Toy Story, Shrek, most Disney films are watchable at least. If kids enjoy this film then good for them - I didn't. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more had I read the book, but again this doesn't have to be a neccessity - I enjoyed the LotR films despite not reading the books first.

Being a kids film based on a book does not excuse it from being shite!

69306[/snapback]

CS Lewis was virtually compulsory reading when I was a kid, before you graduated to Tolkein! I think you are really criticizing the book in this instance and not the film: perhaps middle class Edwardian fairy tales loosely based on christian allegory are not your thing. :lol:

I understand they are planning to make the entire Narnia series - at least the other books were far superior to tLtWatW, imo tbh of course.

Edited by Renton

My main gripe with the film was its pacing - it takes ages to set the scene, followed by what essentially a long, drawn out chase sequence, a bit of hanging around then a (shit) CGI fest for the battle.

Although if they are making several of these (dear god) then admittidly quite a bit of exposition at the start is required (as in the first X-Men film).

My main gripe with the film was its pacing - it takes ages to set the scene, followed by what essentially a long, drawn out chase sequence, a bit of hanging around then a (shit) CGI fest for the battle.

Although if they are making several of these (dear god) then admittidly quite a bit of exposition at the start is required (as in the first X-Men film).

69316[/snapback]

It's worth pointing out that Lewis wrote a prequel to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, called the Magician's nephew. This might explain the nature of Narnia and "deep magic" somewhat. Having said that though, it isn't much cop if you aren't a kid. The later stories are much more your standard fantasy tales and are all the better for it imo. The last book though, called the last battle, is basically a christian jizz fest. It depicts armageddon, and Susan goes to hell for not "believing" in Narnia any more......

69316[/snapback]

It's worth pointing out that Lewis wrote a prequel to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, called the Magician's nephew. This might explain the nature of Narnia and "deep magic" somewhat. Having said that though, it isn't much cop if you aren't a kid. The later stories are much more your standard fantasy tales and are all the better for it imo. The last book though, called the last battle, is basically a christian jizz fest. It depicts armageddon, and Susan goes to hell for not "believing" in Narnia any more......

69322[/snapback]

Well thats ruined the rest of them for me now hasn't it! :huh:

:lol:

69316[/snapback]

69322[/snapback]

69316[/snapback]

69322[/snapback]

69324[/snapback]

*SPOILERS* (Sorry Gejon, I'd be amazed if they made a film of the last book mind)

Did you not see that that the death of Aslan was basically the crucifixion of Christ?

Edited by Renton