Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Just watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I must say I loved it.  I love a film which makes you think and does something a bit different.  I cant usually watch Jim Carrey without having to throw things at the screen as he really boils my piss but he is excellent in this, not going for the jokes at every opportunity as usual.

and I love a happy ending :)

73547[/snapback]

aye great film, and Carrey is quite phenomenal in dramatic roles!

... i recently saw Wedding Crashers, it was okay, a bit of fun.

Me and You and Everyone We Know, very strange yet interesting and very funny in parts.

Me and You and Everyone We Know, very strange yet interesting and very funny in parts.

74057[/snapback]

Just watched it. Absoloutley mother fucking tip top. I thought it was going to be too quirky for my taste, a bit Royal Tennanbaumy but it wasn't at all. It was more cute, I never thought "well that's just silly" like I thought I would.

Brandon Ratcliff is a legend. Fuck Haley Joel Osment. Ratcliff shits all over him in this. Nowt like watching a 7 year old kid describe a Monroe transfer ))<>(( :lol:

Everyone should watch it.

74057[/snapback]

Just watched it. Absoloutley mother fucking tip top. I thought it was going to be too quirky for my taste, a bit Royal Tennanbaumy but it wasn't at all. It was more cute, I never thought "well that's just silly" like I thought I would.

Brandon Ratcliff is a legend. Fuck Haley Joel Osment. Ratcliff shits all over him in this. Nowt like watching a 7 year old kid describe a Monroe transfer ))<>(( :lol:

76071[/snapback]

Fucking strange movies you're watching! :lol:

74057[/snapback]

76071[/snapback]

Fucking strange movies you're watching! :lol:

76087[/snapback]

:lol:

:gay:

Oops, that didn't come out right. Just to clarify - HJO isn't in this film.

Connie and Carla (well, i missed the beginning, but it was easy to catch up). With David Duchovny (sp?!) in it.

What a fantastically RANDOM film. It was surprisingly funny... I can't remember any specific bits that was funny, but I just remember laughing out loud a lot. I enjoyed it tres much.

The jacket - forgetting the fact that you get to see Keira Knightley's gorgeous cone shaped nipples and breasts, it is an awesome film. The blurb mentions 12 monkeys but it's far more Jacob's ladder.

Brassed off was on More 4 yesterday and watched it again. A truely great film imo, with outstanding performances from Poselthwaite and Tomkinson in particular. I remember when this was released 10 years ago (!) the Southern media hated it, claiming it was Northern sentimental rubbish. Yet they loved the cliched, stereotyping in the full Monty and especially Billy Elliot, which were vastly inferior films imo.

Connie and Carla (well, i missed the beginning, but it was easy to catch up).  With David Duchovny (sp?!) in it.

What a fantastically RANDOM film.  It was surprisingly funny... I can't remember any specific bits that was funny, but I just remember laughing out loud a lot.  I enjoyed it tres much.

76378[/snapback]

I hear the grammar police sirens on their way... :rolleyes:

Connie and Carla (well, i missed the beginning, but it was easy to catch up).  With David Duchovny (sp?!) in it.

What a fantastically RANDOM film.  It was surprisingly funny... I can't remember any specific bits that was funny, but I just remember laughing out loud a lot.  I enjoyed it tres much.

76378[/snapback]

I hear the grammar police sirens on their way... :rolleyes:

76947[/snapback]

police_siren.jpg

Enron - The Smartest Guys in the Room

Thoroughly entertaining look at the dark underbelly of the American Dream, market capitalism taken to the nth degree complete with power shortages being engineered to bump up energy prices and account books based on expected and not actual earnings. Hilarious stuff really if it hadn't cost people their pensions and livelihoods. Let's hope the men at the top are all rounded up and locked away for long enough that they'll never get to see their buried treasure. Wishful thinking considering the owner is a close friend of the Bushes. Still, I bet it was some ride and it's difficult not to feel some kind of empathy with an ideology based on greed. After all many of us are still Thatcher's children.

Me and You and Everyone We Know

Wilfully eccentric and disarmingly frank look at one of these mythical small town American neighbourhoods that seem to exist in many of their independant (in spirit) films. Full of snapshots of characters' eccentricities and idiosyncrasies (if they're not the same thing) and chock full of feel good niceness that makes you really want to like the film. Maybe this makes it a good film, I certainly enjoyed it. I'd really be the worst film critic in the world since I can never explain why I like a film, I just like it. I can tell you why I don't like a film, but why I like one. That's much harder. I like this film because it made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Eat that Barry fucking Norman.

Dogville

The first of Lars Von Triers American trilogy is superb. Grace (Nicole Kidman) is on the run and ends up in a small town in the middle of nowhere called Dogville. In exchange for keeping her hidden, she does jobs for all the people in the town. At first politeness keeps the townsfolk from giving her too much work, but as time goes by they get more and more out of her, then it all gets very wrong.

Nicole Kidman was brilliant and I don't normally rate her. I can't see why people think it's anti-American, it seems to me that it's anti-humanity. I suppose playing Young Americans over the end credits with pictures of American poverty is what does it, but that seemed to me like baiting, because the film doesn't cover any themes specific to America that I can think of.

Manderlay

The second of Lars Von Triers American trilogy is superb. Grace is in the deep south and comes accross a plantation called Manderlay that still practices slavery 70 years after the Emancipation Proclamation. After freeing the slaves she feels required to help them embrace their freedom, and succeed in their own right.

I didn't enjoy the film as much as Dogville, but it's ideas were far better explored. The fact that we are always on the slaves side and want Grace to achieve her goal is totally subverted when we see that if these 'slaves' aren't going to bring about change themselves, they can't be helped. How much more can be done for them before they take some steps for themselves?

It is also analagous to the situation in Iraq. With well intentioned inteference forcing personal ideals on a community not ready or willing to change, with disastarous results.

Brokeback Mountain

Rich and beautifully acted tale of forbidden hopes and dreams. This isn't a gaudy tale of sweaty cowboys humping each other (although it does happen at one point), it's one of angst and romance, of dreams and reality, of sadness and of hope. It should win the best picture oscar on merit alone let alone to upset the moral majority who insist on the biblical wrongness of man o' man love (though I suspect it's really the sweaty humping that gets their collective backs' up).

The Constant Gardiner

Ray Fiennes is a fine actor, a traditionally limp British stalward who seems often to be pinned for those roles of excessive politeness that are given to Hugh Grant in fluffier material. No this is a serious film, dealing with serious issues, how the unprotected people over there *points*, are being chewed and spat out by the mythical multi-conglomerate-pharmacutical-corperations or some such. Rachel Weiss does her best Kate Winslet impression and the film spirals somewhat confusingly out of control, as these conspiracy thrillers often do. It's a film of flashbacks, flash forwards, flash floods and flashy camera angles (at times). But it's nothing we haven't seen before, just a good solid conspiracy thriller with a top Ray Fiennes performance as the drippy British guy who slowly grows a Hollywood backbone.

Cowboy love gets my oscar nomination out of the two, both are better than the horribly manipulative Crash.

A Cock and Bull Story.

One of the most bizarre films I've ever seen as it encompassed the filming of a film within a film so kept jumping between the 18th Century and the present time. It was one that you had to concentrate on quite hard to keep up with, but the craic between Coogan and Brydon made it worth it.