Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Munich

Thought it was great but if you are going to see it i think most people have to be sorta interested about Black September as my one of my mates mate who went along with us was bored shitless!

Goes for about 150 minutes or so but it was stunning how they combined the old television footage into the movie and also re-enacted the parts eg the break into the Olympic Village, airport scene etc.

Eric Bana was good in it i thought and the ending is very symbolic blah blah. Thought they could of given more of a run down in the end of who is still alive and what they are doing now etc.

If you go i would recommend viewing, One Day In September the documentary before viewing the movie as it will help.

85518[/snapback]

Have you read the book Wellsy? (One Day In September) also very interesting. I think I'll give Munich a watch. Eric Bana is class (well he was in 'Chopper' anyway).

Layer Cake

the most in-depth review I can be arsed to give about this film is "Meh" It's all I can summon in response to the hour and a half of...Meh I was offered.

85519[/snapback]

2 lines is one of the more in depth reviews in this entire thread to be be perfectly honest with you.

Layer Cake

the most in-depth review I can be arsed to give about this film is "Meh" It's all I can summon in response to the hour and a half of...Meh I was offered.

85519[/snapback]

2 lines is one of the more in depth reviews in this entire thread to be be perfectly honest with you.

85532[/snapback]

I've got a pirate copy me mate loaned me. Worth a watch or not?

Layer Cake

85519[/snapback]

85532[/snapback]

85533[/snapback]

I certainly think so. Far better than Lock, Stock or Snatch or any of the shitty Brit gangster films they inspired. Far more classy and glossy than any of them without the terrible stereotypes.

And Seinna Miller is a nice bit of eye candy.

85533[/snapback]

I've got a dodgy copy of 'The Boondock Saints' anyone know if it's worth a watch?

85538[/snapback]

Definately give it a watch, thought it was a cracking film

:lol:

85533[/snapback]

I've got a dodgy copy of 'The Boondock Saints' anyone know if it's worth a watch?

85538[/snapback]

I only saw the opening 15 minutes of this movie and found it so embarrassingly badly acted that I had to turn it off. That may not put me in the best position to judge it but it sits on a proud list of movies I had to turn off with only 2 others, Gigli and Queen of the Damned!

I believe the story of the film getting made might be of some interest, though.

85533[/snapback]

85538[/snapback]

I only saw the opening 15 minutes of this movie and found it so embarrassingly badly acted that I had to turn it off. That may not put me in the best position to judge it but it sits on a proud list of movies I had to turn off with only 2 others, Gigli and Queen of the Damned!

I believe the story of the film getting made might be of some interest, though.

85586[/snapback]

I thought it was a superb film tbh

Well I suppose I'll join in with the haters. I thought it one of the worst films I've seen in a long while. I did watch it all the way through though but then I can count the films I've switched off before the end on one hand. My time isn't that precious.

Why is it so bad?

Where to start. As previously mentioned terrible acting coupled with the most atrocious Irish accents I've heard on film since Orson Welles tried one in the Lady from Shanghai. A horrible self-concious attempt to be cool throughout the film which backfires almost every time. Billy Connolly. Defoe's embarrassing sub-Oldman prancing. I'm sorry but my vitrol toward the film has been somewhat eroded by time.

It seems though that it's either a film that you love or hate though I'm sure the lovers must love the idea of film more than the actual film. The idea of schoolkid vigilantes (or rather man-children) righting the wrongs of the world in a self-consciously cool (as defined by Tarantino) manner on some shallow religious pretext (see Sam Jackson's turn in Pulp Fiction). I suppose that might appeal to some people. And that's just fine.

That's true Gemmill they seem to be unable to do gentle, natural accents it's always the full blarney and as such sounds ridiculously false. I haven't seen the two films you mention but I can't imagine they can be as bad as this.

In saying I bet British actors doing American accents grate on them just as much. Hugh Laurie's turn in House strikes even me as laughably bad so I can't imagine how Americans might greet it. Really anyone who's ever seen A Bit of Fry & Laurie will hear little difference between the accent he used in the big business US parody, the one we all laughed at, and the one he adopts in House, which we're presumably supposed to take seriously. No that I begrudge him him success of course.

Don Cheadle's cockney accent in Ocean's 11 deserves a mention too.  Dick Van Dyke-tastic!

86121[/snapback]

That really was terrible wasn't it, I wonder what possessed him to do it? Almost spoilt a good movie.

We seem to have a 2-2 split decision on Boondock Saints at the moment. Think I'll leave it for now, tv not too bad the neet.

That's true Gemmill they seem to be unable to do gentle, natural accents it's always the full blarney and as such sounds ridiculously false. I haven't seen the two films you mention but I can't imagine they can be as bad as this.

In saying I bet British actors doing American accents grate on them just as much. Hugh Laurie's turn in House strikes even me as laughably bad so I can't imagine how Americans might greet it. Really anyone who's ever seen A Bit of Fry & Laurie will hear little difference between the accent he used in the big business US parody, the one we all laughed at, and the one he adopts in House, which we're presumably supposed to take seriously. No that I begrudge him him success of course.

86117[/snapback]

He won a golden globe for it. So I think they like it. Plus a friend of my uncles in California thought Bob Hoskins was American. I think they have so may accents they just think our pretend one is just one they haven't heard.

The Ice Storm

Bleak like American Beauty but came out a few years earlier and is (in my opinion) better. The humour is less obvious and the scenario more believable. The empathy therefore felt for the characters gives the devastating ending more of an impact than you get from American Beauty. Using the weather to convey a feeling of foreboding should feel like a cliche (well...it does to be honest), but here it is fresh and integral. I've never been more impressed by a Kevin Kline performance either. Highly recommended.

Death In Venice

Looks occassionally lovely but that isn't enough to sustain it's two mind numbingly tedious hours.

All of its themes are explicitly stated in short bursts of dialogue such as this about an egg timer "The aperture through which the sand runs is so tiny that first it seems as if the level in the upper glass never changes. To our eyes, it appears that the sand runs out only, only at the end. And until it does, it's not worth thinking about. Till the last moment when there is no more time... when there's no more time left to think about it.". So, you don't realise life is short till it's too late! Hardly original, maybe it was in 1912, but if you must make a film about it now, try conveying it in a less hamfisted way than a voiceover followed by 40 minutes of almost silent perving on a young boy. There are other ideas on the purity of art, disregarding shame to achieve genius etc all similarly approached. Avoid if possible.

This Sporting Life

Excellent British film from the 60's. Richard Harris is great as a lonesome rugby player struggling to win the affections of an equally lonely widow. The fact that she refuses to move on from the death of her husband leads to Harris becoming exasperated and violent alienating himself all the more from her.

Depressing but well worth it.

Edited by Happy Face

Watched Jarhead on Saturday night.

Simply not to be missed, very funny yet very moving.

85979[/snapback]

I've just sat and watched this. I'm not a girl who usually likes war films but I thought it would pass a couple of hours and found I really enjoyed it. I thought it gave a hell of an insight into some of the psychological aspects of war that you really can't imagine.

It also had Jake Gyllenhaal dancing round in just a santa hat to hide his modesty. :naughty:

Edited by catmag

Watched Jarhead on Saturday night.

Simply not to be missed, very funny yet very moving.

85979[/snapback]

I've just sat and watched this. I'm not a girl who usually likes war films but I thought it would pass a couple of hours and found I really enjoyed it. I thought it gave a hell of an insight into some of the psychological aspects of war that you really can't imagine.

It also had Jake Gyllenhaal dancing round in just a santa hat to hide his modesty. :naughty:

86907[/snapback]

I wasn't particularly interested in seeing Jarhead, but something in your review won me over, I just can't quite put my finger on what it was...