Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Got round to watching The Pusher 2. Absolutely cracking effort yet again, thought the first one was better mind, probably just because I thought Frank (Hristo Stoitchkov) was class, but if the third one ranks up with these two then it is definitely going to be one of my favourite trilogy's of all time.

The third one is mainly about Milo. It's class too.

You can't beat those genocidal Serbians like.

Radovan makes an appearance too. Comes out of retirement.

Total legend.

Got round to watching The Pusher 2. Absolutely cracking effort yet again, thought the first one was better mind, probably just because I thought Frank (Hristo Stoitchkov) was class, but if the third one ranks up with these two then it is definitely going to be one of my favourite trilogy's of all time.

The Hristo Stoitchkov?

The Hristo Stoitchkov?

<_< No, he just looks like him.

The Hristo Stoitchkov?

:nufc: No, he just looks like him.

:( Consider my amazon order cancelled.

Actually quite tempted but I feel I should refuse to buy it on principal. My gran wouldn't be happy. <_<

The Pusher 3.

Good ending to the trilogy, the first one is still me favourite though, all in all a cracking piece of cinema though which I would highly recommend to anyone.

"Sell ecstacy with a Beckham haircut and you're the man." <_<

Cheers on the recommendation Alex.

No one else seen cloverfielfd then?

I've not seen it yet, but even before I do I have reservations about it's subtext. I wonder if any Americans looking at the film and comparing it with Godzilla remember that the atomic bomb and Hiroshima (which inspired Godzilla) was excessive retribution for the behaviour of Japan during WW2. Japan were the bad guys!

Cloverfield is obviously a 50's red menace inspired post 9/11 sci-fi film, but does it make it plain that they brought it on themselves? From what I've heard of the limited scope (one man and his video camera) there is no context whatsoever for the attack. Godzilla had a history, in the past sacrifices were made to placate him, but Cloverfied (by all accounts) has nothing like that, it's just a foreign monster that Americans are completely ignorant of. It sounds to me like it's a condemnation of terrorist attacks without any attempt at understanding.

A Hollywood endorsement of American foreign policy rather than a cautionary tale against rampant empire building?

Excellent filmy post Nicos.

I've not seen it yet, but even before I do I have reservations about it's subtext. I wonder if any Americans looking at the film and comparing it with Godzilla remember that the atomic bomb and Hiroshima (which inspired Godzilla) was excessive retribution for the behaviour of Japan during WW2. Japan were the bad guys!

Cloverfield is obviously a 50's red menace inspired post 9/11 sci-fi film, but does it make it plain that they brought it on themselves? From what I've heard of the limited scope (one man and his video camera) there is no context whatsoever for the attack. Godzilla had a history, in the past sacrifices were made to placate him, but Cloverfied (by all accounts) has nothing like that, it's just a foreign monster that Americans are completely ignorant of. It sounds to me like it's a condemnation of terrorist attacks without any attempt at understanding.

A Hollywood endorsement of American foreign policy rather than a cautionary tale against rampant empire building?

Fucking hell Happy Face. Can you not just watch it and enjoy it as a film about a monster? If you think major film makers have anything in their head other than 'How can we make sure we sell more tickets for this than any other film' then youre mad.

Fucking hell Happy Face. Can you not just watch it and enjoy it as a film about a monster? If you think major film makers have anything in their head other than 'How can we make sure we sell more tickets for this than any other film' then youre mad.

I certainly can, but in this case my reservations are in direct response to what the director has said were his intentions...

On Comparisons to 9/11: “[“[it works] in the same way that Godzilla was really a metaphor for its time, and was a sort of movie about the A-bomb and Hiroshima and all of that,” he says. “The idea of it dealing with the anxiety of that time and that’s why it captured so much attention because it tapped right into people’s anxieties… I think that what was really interesting here was knowing that we were going to be dealing with the metaphor of what this was and dealing with the anxieties of our time. We thought that there would be something really sort of powerful about the idea”

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/12/14/clover...irector-speaks/

No need to apologise young'un.

Went to see National Treasure:Book of Secrets last Friday.

Hmmm, got a bit ridiculous at times tbh. Cross between Raiders of the Lost Ark and Mission Impossible.

6.5/10 on the hips scale.

btw good to see This is England get the best British film at the BAFTA's yesterday. Still think it didn't go far enough after setting up such a strong racist thread, and a bigger budget could have done that.

I like the low budget feel of Shane Meadows films. It's reminiscent of English-type of film-making by people like Mike Leigh and Ken Loach. It gives it a gritty reality.

I stand corrected, but I think the director hugely overestimated the average film goer if those were his intentions :lol:

I certainly can, but in this case my reservations are in direct response to what the director has said were his intentions...

On Comparisons to 9/11: “[“[it works] in the same way that Godzilla was really a metaphor for its time, and was a sort of movie about the A-bomb and Hiroshima and all of that,” he says. “The idea of it dealing with the anxiety of that time and that’s why it captured so much attention because it tapped right into people’s anxieties… I think that what was really interesting here was knowing that we were going to be dealing with the metaphor of what this was and dealing with the anxieties of our time. We thought that there would be something really sort of powerful about the idea”

I stand corrected, but I think the director hugely overestimated the average film goer if those were his intentions :D

Edited by J69

I stand corrected, but I think the director hugely overestimated the average film goer if those were his intentions :lol:

I stand corrected, but I think the director hugely overestimated the average film goer if those were his intentions :D

I don't think the director wants the average moviegoer to consider the fears that he's tapping into. He's exploiting those fears to make a scary movie. Having not seen the film, I don't know the extent to which he succeeds, judging by the reception, he has.

Frequency. Quite enjoyed it when I wasnt expecting to. Ending was a bit of a let down but these type of movies always are.

Excellent film !!

Got round to watching Pan's Labyrinth. Loved it. I think it was canofbeans who said it was a natural follow-up to 'Spirit of the Beehive' (also excellent) and he's spot on there imo. It's a beautifully poignant film.