Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Behind Enemy Lines.

Thought it was canny like.

A sudden urge to join the US Navy mind. <_<

I really enjoyed that too.

The Spirit Of The Beehive.

Beautifully shot 1970's Spanish film set in Franco's Spain, found it very moving in it's own way.

Quality film.

Taxi to the Dark Side

Apart from Sicko, the Best Documentary category at this years academy awards was dominated by American made films about the 'troubles' in Iraq/Afghanistan (Michael Moore was already ahead of the curve on that one). Taxi to the Dark Side took the award and you have to be impressed at oscars persistence in rewarding those that tear a new arsehole for the Bush Administration.

Scathing, it shows that war crimes commited in Guantanamo, abu graib and Bagram which contravened the Geneva convention were comparable with nazi torture. In particular that they were conceived at the highest levels of office and repeatedly acknowledged by top brass. The difference being disciplinary action has been taken only against those at the lowest levels, against soldiers that carried out the vaguest of orders. While George Bush and his cronies are guaranteed immunity from prosecution under laws signed and passed by themselves.

The film was made by the director of Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and has a similar anger in the face of corruption & institutionalised criminality. Well worthwatching.

Taxi to the Dark Side

Apart from Sicko, the Best Documentary category at this years academy awards was dominated by American made films about the 'troubles' in Iraq/Afghanistan (Michael Moore was already ahead of the curve on that one). Taxi to the Dark Side took the award and you have to be impressed at oscars persistence in rewarding those that tear a new arsehole for the Bush Administration.

Scathing, it shows that war crimes commited in Guantanamo, abu graib and Bagram which contravened the Geneva convention were comparable with nazi torture. In particular that they were conceived at the highest levels of office and repeatedly acknowledged by top brass. The difference being disciplinary action has been taken only against those at the lowest levels, against soldiers that carried out the vaguest of orders. While George Bush and his cronies are guaranteed immunity from prosecution under laws signed and passed by themselves.

The film was made by the director of Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and has a similar anger in the face of corruption & institutionalised criminality. Well worthwatching.

Firmly and fully believe that you cannot hold the individuals entirely responsible in cases like this for this reason.

Human Traffic - it's alright like. Canny dated already though. Some bits are spot on but some bits are cheesy as fuck.

Control - Really enjoyed it. It no doubt helped that I am a fan of Joy Division although it's worth checking out anyway. It looks great in b&w too imo and the lad who played Curtis was excellent, as was Samantha Morton as his wife.

No End In Sight

Another of the oscar nominated films on Iraq with the involvement of Alex Gibney (Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, Taxi to the Dark Side) though this time he produces rather than directs. This probably had me most engrossed of them all. I can see why Taxi won the oscar, it's angrier polemic is a reaction it’s easier to get with, given the flagrant abuse of international law it concentrates on. But No End in Sight looks broadly at not just the war in Iraq, but it’s entire context, going as far back as Donald Rumsfeld courting Saddam back in 1983. The scope makes it a lot drier, but all the more depressing.

The number of high ranking Americans lining up to denounce actions taken over there is incredible. There are no Bush bashing political hacks people can sweep under the carpet as loony lefties, it includes a good number of the movers and shakers that worked within the administration on the re-structuring of Iraq. It had me thinking of a nuclear breakdown, they say one can’t be caused by a single fault, you need 12 faults all to happen in a row. The number of mistakes they highlight speaks volumes about how opportunities to turn it around have been wasted and almost every action taken has served only to heighten tension. Of the people the film holds most culpable, it’s a surprise that Bush actually isn’t one of them, having delegated re-structuring of the country, you could argue that was his one mistake, but the level of stupidity of the likes of Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz and Bremer defies belief.

Eye-opening and disheartening.

Sounds interesting. I caught a bit of a documentary a while back where US government officials were looking at Rough Guide and Lonely Planet books on Iraq prior to the invasion. I shit thee not.

Sounds interesting. I caught a bit of a documentary a while back where US government officials were looking at Rough Guide and Lonely Planet books on Iraq prior to the invasion. I shit thee not.

I can believe it. The person hired to redesign Baghdad's entire traffic infrastructure was fresh out of college and spoke no Arabic. She couldn't believe she got the job either. Lot's of jobs went to kids whose parents donated to Bush's election campaign.