Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

The Descent - shit

92192[/snapback]

:lol:

I'll not bite.

Planes Trains and Automobiles - It amazes me that Groundhog Day gets all this credit as one of the great comedies while Planes, Trains and Automobiles never gets a mention, probably because it's currently more fashionable to praise Bill Murray than it is John Candy.

The car rental reception scene is a classic.

The Descent - shit

92192[/snapback]

;)

I'll not bite.

Planes Trains and Automobiles - It amazes me that Groundhog Day gets all this credit as one of the great comedies while Planes, Trains and Automobiles never gets a mention, probably because it's currently more fashionable to praise Bill Murray than it is John Candy.

The car rental reception scene is a classic.

92294[/snapback]

They're not pillows!! :lol:

Did you like it? I thought it was dreadful tbh.

92360[/snapback]

Seems to be really dividing people, I enjoyed it.

92363[/snapback]

I'm not the biggest fan of horrors tbh, but wor lass loves them so I rented it. The only horrors I really like are stupid ones like the Evil Dead or Braindead and 70's ones like the Hammer House ones.

Edited by alex

92360[/snapback]

92363[/snapback]

I'm not the biggest fan of horrors tbh, but wor lass loves them so I rented it. The only horrors I really like are stupid ones like the Evil Dead or Braindead and 70's ones like the Hammer House ones.

92364[/snapback]

If you haven't seen Bad Taste yet, give it a go, good laugh.

92360[/snapback]

92363[/snapback]

92364[/snapback]

If you haven't seen Bad Taste yet, give it a go, good laugh.

92368[/snapback]

Seen it, class! :lol:

I thought the acting was atrocious, but loved the ideas and the execution otherwise.

I'm sure it's been discussed previously and resulted in me being :lol: , but anyway, spoilers to follow....

I wonder if most people that hate it miss the blatant subtext, The descent into madness rather than the cave. After losing all that she loved, did she actually leave the hospital? Is it all just a fight with her inner demons? Is it better to cling to madness if in doing so you can still interact with those you've lost? If escaping the demons meant you'd live in pain for the rest of your days, why bother?

It had some cool gore, and was insanely claustrophobic at times. I also love a downbeat ending.

Edited by Happy Face

I got the subtext and still hated it :lol:

Maybe hate is a bit strong but I think the acting did it for me tbh, as you say it's shite. Plus the characters are upper middle class graduates in the main which makes it extremely difficult to have any sympathy for their plight.

I thought the acting was atrocious, but loved the ideas and the execution otherwise.

I'm sure it's been discussed previously and resulted in me being  ;) , but anyway, spoilers to follow....

I wonder if most people that hate it miss the blatant subtext,  The descent into madness rather than the cave.  After losing all that she loved, did she actually leave the hospital?  Is it all just a fight with her inner demons?  Is it better to cling to madness if in doing so you can still interact with those you've lost?  If escaping the demons meant you'd live in pain for the rest of your days, why bother?

It had some cool gore, and was insanely claustrophobic at times.  I also love a downbeat ending.

92373[/snapback]

The only way the scene where she's running down the dark hospital corridor makes any sense is if the whole thing is allegorical, but it's a horror movie, it should be scary first. I can't really understand how that subtext makes it a better movie, you called it blatant yourself, bit of pop-psychology, really.

I also don't agree on the acting. Just because acting is more natural or the characters annoying doesn't make bad acting. I think most Hollywood acting is atrocious. I never felt any of the characters behaved in ways that were unrealistic.

And reading movies about how to read movies is uber-gay, FACTICIOUS! ;)

PS: "I wonder if most people that hate it miss the blatant subtext" How fucking superior was that! :lol::)

Edited by DotBum

The only way the scene where she's running down the dark hospital corridor makes any sense is if the whole thing is allegorical, but it's a horror movie, it should be scary first.  I can't really understand how that subtext makes it a better movie, you called it blatant yourself, bit of pop-psychology, really.

I also don't agree on the acting.  Just because acting is more natural or the characters annoying doesn't make bad acting.  I think most Hollywood acting is atrocious.  I never felt any of the characters behaved in ways that were unrealistic.

And reading movies about how to read movies is uber-gay, FACTICIOUS! ;)

PS:  "I wonder if most people that hate it miss the blatant subtext"  How fucking superior was that! :lol:;)

92376[/snapback]

If I can enjoy a film on different levels it makes it a better film IMO. Just because it was blatant, didn't make it less valid.

And I agree, anyone reading a BOOK about reading movies would be gay. Who does that like?

PS - it was a sarky dig :):):)

...though I am superior tbh. :):):)

HF, are you doing film studies or something (not taking the piss) or are you just into films and reading about them?

92379[/snapback]

No, I'm not on a course. Wouldn't mind like. The only film books I've ever read are Easy Riders and Raging Bulls which has no theory, and The Story of film Which is a historic look at how film has progressed.

I watch lots of films though. Bit of a geek if I'm honest.

HF, are you doing film studies or something (not taking the piss) or are you just into films and reading about them?

92379[/snapback]

No, I'm not on a course. Wouldn't mind like. The only film books I've ever read are Easy Riders and Raging Bulls which has no theory, and The Story of film Which is a historic look at how film has progressed.

I watch lots of films though. Bit of a geek if I'm honest.

92384[/snapback]

Been watching the Jonathon Woss programs on Asian Cinema? Good stuff like although I've missed a couple of them.

The funny thing HF blew a gasket when I took the piss out of him and others for taking Celebrity BB waaay too seriously over on N-O.

92382[/snapback]

:lol:;)

Never watched it.

92385[/snapback]

I must have been confusing you with Nicos Papavasillou ;)

If I can enjoy a film on different levels it makes it a better film IMO.  Just because it was blatant, didn't make it less valid. 

And I agree, anyone reading a BOOK about reading movies would be gay.  Who does that like?

PS - it was a sarky dig ;)  ;)  :)

...though I am superior tbh. :)  :)  :)

92380[/snapback]

I totally agree with you, the film can work on as many levels as the director wants, but it has to work on a basic level most of all, unless the aim is to make it esoteric. I'm a real fan of horror movies, I enjoy watching the suspense being built, the timing, what I would have done differently, the effect of the camera angles used. But first and foremost, if a film isn't satisfying people who aren't interested in the "nerdier" aspects, then it's probably a failure.

I have no problem with reading about film, in the same way I don't really think any worse of Gemmill for juicing/mincing or whatever it is he does in the privacy of his own home. :lol:

The funny thing HF blew a gasket when I took the piss out of him and others for taking Celebrity BB waaay too seriously over on N-O.

92382[/snapback]

:lol:;)

Never watched it.

92385[/snapback]

I must have been confusing you with Nicos Papavasillou ;)

92389[/snapback]

That dick? Never. :)

I watched Wossy and enjoyed it aye. I was disappointed he didn't highlight much stuff that isn't already widely available and popular here. It being on BBC4 I thought it would dig a bit deeper. Still good like.