Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

has anyone seen 'W', thinking of giving it a spin?

I did and I enjoyed it, I wouldn't have made it a movie though, a Two Part tv special on HBO would have been poifecto..

I'd watch W and Frost/Nixon back to back if I were you.

Yes, but my point is why release a film about WC2006 in 2009? Surely it would have made more sense to release it next summer and base it around the 2010 WC

I think the original plan was for the third one to come out around the WC2006. Just a few months after or something.

But the whole trilogy just got more and more half arsed. Second one came out later than planned, so the third was pushed back too... and, well they gave up really. Probably only did the third because they had to.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

The only one I've seen before, I thought I'd watch all 5 before the new one comes out in July. Unfortunately I only managed to get half way through the game of quiditch before turning it off.

Don't remember it being that bad first time around like. Hopefully the other 4 will be ok first time around at least.

Gomorrah

Not at all as good as it's cracked up to be. Difficult to stick with for the first hour, but the second hour redeems it.

Don't be silly it's a beautiful film.

I enjoyed it like but it's a bit all over the place too imo. Might have to give it a 2nd watch.

Gomorrah

Not at all as good as it's cracked up to be. Difficult to stick with for the first hour, but the second hour redeems it.

Each to their own.

I far preferred the Consequences of Love.

I did like the tailor though.

Gomorrah

I enjoyed it like but it's a bit all over the place too imo.

That's the problem exactly. It suffers from the same as Babel or Crash or Love Actually. A multitude of characters with tenuous links (or none whatsoever) each labouring the same, obvious point....

The wages man - these gangs are dangerous...i want out.

The Tailor - these gangs are dangerous...i want out.

The second in command to the waste disposal dude - these gangs are dangerous...i want out.

The kid who takes a bullet as initiation - these gangs are dangerous...Maybe I've been hasty getting in.

The two scarface loving dudes - these gangs are dangerous...

The only one I hadn't seen before was the tailor. A film about him would have been good rather than the 15 minutes he got.

This was the film I'd been looking forward to most from last year, so I felt a tad let down. Perhaps I'd built it up too much.

Gomorrah

That's the problem exactly. It suffers from the same as Babel or Crash or Love Actually. A multitude of characters with tenuous links (or none whatsoever) each labouring the same, obvious point....

The second in command to the waste disposal dude - these gangs are dangerous...i want out.

The kid who takes a bullet as initiation - these gangs are dangerous...Maybe I've been hasty getting in.

The only one I hadn't seen before was the tailor. A film about him would have been good rather than the 15 minutes he got.

This was the film I'd been looking forward to most from last year, so I felt a tad let down. Perhaps I'd built it up too much.

<_<

pph_0.jpg

I loved the really raw working class areas of Naples and the loose camerawork...Little things like the flood in that womans kitchen so she couldn't make the money collector a coffee had a real charm about it lacking in many 'tight' gansgter dramas. If 'tight' is indeed what you're whinging about. Also the poetic elements were for me simply and beautifully done (the boys letting off the guns at the lake, the old bathtub with the boys doing the Scarface 'pantomine/homage'. For these quiet moments gave the film a very organic and thougtful grounding in a place where it was clear none of the main characters could really control the 'darkness' with which they were all entwined.

I have seen it 3 timea and once at the cinema, I urge you to look again Nicos/Alex.

Edited by Park Life

Goal 3 - What the hell was that <_< we spent 2 parts of the trilogy following 2 blokes about then 1 suddenly doesn't exist and the other only has a bit part they got replaced with two total nob heads who i really didn't care about in the slightest. The Liam Adams character is just Gavin Harris obviously the actor finally noticed how shit these films are. Oh and the 'Geordie' England fans how cringe worthy were they! at the funeral "oh and cheers for lettin wu pay wor final respects and that like" awful especially as they never even spoke to that character.

It was so bad I didn't even care when my stream cut out at the end.

Gomorrah

<_<

pph_0.jpg

I loved the really raw working class areas of Naples and the loose camerawork...Little things like the flood in that womans kitchen so she couldn't make the money collector a coffee had a real charm about it lacking in many 'tight' gansgter dramas. If 'tight' is indeed what you're whinging about. Also the poetic elements were for me simply and beautifully done (the boys letting off the guns at the lake, the old bathtub with the boys doing the Scarface 'pantomine/homage'. For these quiet moments gave the film a very organic and thougtful grounding in a place where it was clear none of the main characters could really control the 'darkness' with which they were all entwined.

I have seen it 3 timea and once at the cinema, I urge you to look again Nicos/Alex.

You watched Hunger yet? There's simple, beautiful poetry....with a story. :D

Goal 3 - What the hell was that :D we spent 2 parts of the trilogy following 2 blokes about then 1 suddenly doesn't exist and the other only has a bit part they got replaced with two total nob heads who i really didn't care about in the slightest. The Liam Adams character is just Gavin Harris obviously the actor finally noticed how shit these films are. Oh and the 'Geordie' England fans how cringe worthy were they! at the funeral "oh and cheers for lettin wu pay wor final respects and that like" awful especially as they never even spoke to that character.

It was so bad I didn't even care when my stream cut out at the end.

<_<

Are we doing a toontastic film club here, where everyone watches the same thing to facillitate group discussion?

Gomorrah

<_<

pph_0.jpg

Like I said I'll probably check it out again and I did enjoy it. It does suffer a bit from being all over the shop though. I didn't have much trouble following it (although I'd have had to strangle wor lass about 5 mins in if I'd watched it with her) but it did impinge a little on my enjoyment at times because of the way it jumped about. I think concentrating on less characters might have worked better for a film of this length as it almost seemed like the beginning of a mini series or something due to so many different people being introduced.

I agree about the gritty realism being a big plus though and I didn't feel so much that all the characters were saying the same thing (even if they were to an extent). It was more the feeling of organised crime seeping into so many aspects of life which is pretty true for that part of the world.

Gomorrah

<_<

pph_0.jpg

You watched Hunger yet? There's simple, beautiful poetry....with a story. :D

I was disappointed it had nothing to do with Knut Hamsun.

Drag me to Hell. Best horror film for a while. It could have been a lot more scarey without some cheesy and gross laugh out loud bits thrown in that spoiled the suspense a bit. Still, highly entertaining and recommended. 8/10

Man on Wire

really good documentary about the french guy that wire-walked between the twin towers in 1974...... :icon_lol: ....guy is a bit of a nutt-bar

I felt sorry for his girlfriend. Sticks with him all the way through his nutty plan. So what does he do ... goes and fucks another girl as soon as he can!

But really ... yep, it's a great documentary.

I kept wondering why it had been made.

I've never seen a documentary about so little. I kept wondering when it would make some point about anything...presuming it would be a 9/11 related point.....but it never did. Instead, the rope walker made the lack of a point explicit. The reporters kept asking him "why?" too, and there was no reason, it was just beautiful.

Transformers 2. Now I know Michael Bay is a fan of explosions and CGI but I think hes starting to take the biscuit now. 3 hours of identikit robot fights and no story had me desperate for it to end! Shame cos I normally love shit action films like this!

Transformers 2. Now I know Michael Bay is a fan of explosions and CGI but I think hes starting to take the biscuit now. 3 hours of identikit robot fights and no story had me desperate for it to end! Shame cos I normally love shit action films like this!

Thing is like, films like that should be 110 mins tops I reckon (preferably shorter). It seems to be the fashion for action-packed blockbusters to be at least 2 and a half hours long these days which is just far too long.