Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Saw Ant-Man recently, oddly needs more of the protagonist in it.

Some good moments, but too heavy on the cgi for me. One for a quiet Friday night in, rather than going to the cinema, I reckon.

Saw Ant-Man recently, oddly needs more of the protagonist in it.

Some good moments, but too heavy on the cgi for me. One for a quiet Friday night in, rather than going to the cinema, I reckon.

You think a film based on the premise of a man shrinking down to the size of an Ant had too many special effects?

You think a film based on the premise of a man shrinking down to the size of an Ant had too many special effects?

Yes.

Curiosity led me to this list of "recurring sketches" from Hale & Pace's penultimate series in 1997:

• London cabbies
  • Waiter/s with "black pepper"
  • Are you nervous...nervous now?
  • Curly & Nige: (1) In the garage (2) At the D.I.Y shop
  • American sheriff & his deputy
  • Rappers with baggy clothes
  • Yorkshiremen
  • Crime boss & his muscle
  • Two redheads who copy the end of what people say
  • Trainspotters
  • Elderly gentleman who can't swear
  • Meditating man who wishes for things to happen

:lol::jesuswept:

Reminded me of being out on the piss once and about 3 or 4 of us ending up back at some lasses house. She had (what would've been VHS copies of) Joe Pasquale and Jim Davidson stand-up gigs. Amongst others. Probably included Hale and Pace. Joe Pasquale man :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminded me of being out on the piss once and about 3 or 4 of us ending up back at some lasses house. She had (what would've been VHS copies of) Joe Pasquale and Jim Davidson stand-up gigs. Amongst others. Probably included Hale and Pace. Joe Pasquale man :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember his short lived revival after I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here? :lol: Fucking advert after advert of him going "OOH, ME JACOBS!"

Remember his short lived revival after I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here? :lol: Fucking advert after advert of him going "OOH, ME JACOBS!"

:lol: I didn't watch that but who the fuck was in it if he won? Ghenghis Khan, Stalin, Hitler and Essembee?

I watched Cinema Paradiso the other night. Thought it was a bit depressing for a sunday night when I was on a bit of a comedown but canny all the same. The last scene was superb.

Great show. I mean film.

The mother-in-law visited at the weekend, which (as usual) means finally watching a DVD or two that she's bought us for Christmases past and that we've been too lazy to even take the plastic off. :lol:

That spacewalking show was perfectly enjoyable as a romp and visually remarkable, though as noted by many, there's not a great deal more to it than that. Like with Interstellar, there was a specific point in Sandra Bullock's journey where I wish the film would have been able to end on an unexpected and massive sci-fi downer, but obviously Hollywood would never allow it to happen.

That French revolution singing show was pretty faithful to the stage version within the given parameters, which is fair enough I suppose, there'd have been hell to pay if they'd changed it too much. The "live" singing obviously brings some intimacy to proceedings but it does flag up the flaws of some of the actors too. Hugh Jackman is worryingly Shatneresque in the scenes where Jean Valjean has a bit of "upstanding citizen" pomp about him, but he's great in the pathetic/tortured/dying scenes so I'll let him off. Russell Crowe is fundamentally useless and the stage-school-Cockney kids from Oliver! are a right pain in the arse, but all in all the BIGNESS of the production outweighs some of the more manipulative stuff.

Or as I apparently said at the time:

Les Mis is one of the few musicals I've got any real time for, in fact it's probably the only one I actively like as a whole - but that's on stage, with all the grandeur that entails and the option of choosing how involved you decide to become in the whole thing. I'm expecting the constant close-ups and so on in the film to provide emotional button-pressing that's already there in the music/lyrics (and then some!) so doesn't need to be hammered home additionally.

I guess that's broadly true, although the emotional button-pressing scenes with Anne Hathaway are by far the best thing in it, so I can't really complain. :lol:

The mother-in-law visited at the weekend, which (as usual) means finally watching a DVD or two that she's bought us for Christmases past and that we've been too lazy to even take the plastic off. :lol:

That spacewalking show was perfectly enjoyable as a romp and visually remarkable, though as noted by many, there's not a great deal more to it than that. Like with Interstellar, there was a specific point in Sandra Bullock's journey where I wish the film would have been able to end on an unexpected and massive sci-fi downer, but obviously Hollywood would never allow it to happen.

That French revolution singing show was pretty faithful to the stage version within the given parameters, which is fair enough I suppose, there'd have been hell to pay if they'd changed it too much. The "live" singing obviously brings some intimacy to proceedings but it does flag up the flaws of some of the actors too. Hugh Jackman is worryingly Shatneresque in the scenes where Jean Valjean has a bit of "upstanding citizen" pomp about him, but he's great in the pathetic/tortured/dying scenes so I'll let him off. Russell Crowe is fundamentally useless and the stage-school-Cockney kids from Oliver! are a right pain in the arse, but all in all the BIGNESS of the production outweighs some of the more manipulative stuff.

Or as I apparently said at the time:

I guess that's broadly true, although the emotional button-pressing scenes with Anne Hathaway are by far the best thing in it, so I can't really complain. :lol:

George Clooney is basically Buzz Lightyear in it, isn't he?

Russell Crowe is fundamentally useless

Throughout the whole film it was bugging me as Crowe's voice reminded me of someone else. A few days later I realised it was David Essex and I've watched it subsequently just waiting for him to burst into "Oh What a Circus" from Evita.