Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Jingle all the way. Always liked it in a 'so bad it's good type of way' but it was a chore to get through it today

I've actually bought 24 x 2nd hand Xmas films on DVD to get through in December :D

Watched Miracle on 34th Street yesterday. It seems to be the first Christmas film I catch every year and despite my Grinch-like non-appreciation of the season makes a little bit of the Christmas spirit creep in.

I watched Miracle on 34th street for the umpteenth time on Sunday.  And Bad Santa for the first time.  34th Street was much the better I thought.  

I've got briefs for It's A Wonderful Life at the Tyneside Cinema in a couple of weeks and the new Star Wars a couple of days before.  Can't wait for that weekend.

Suicide Squad - A lot overly long introductions then a lot of shooting then a lot of 2D character bullshit.

Plus Margot Robbie.

Also agreed. Her arse is worthy of a mention though. Edited by Rayvin

Suicide Squad - A lot overly long introductions then a lot of shooting then a lot of 2D character bullshit.

Plus Margot Robbie.

:aye:

DC just cannot seem to get the movies right.

Rogue One. Very good last hour or so and I loved the ending. Mendelsohn was slightly disappointing. I really like him as an actor but I didn't think he stood out as the main bad guy. Mind you, you could consider him the third tear bad guy in this story so he shouldn't be standing out above the other two.

Kermode reckons Rogue One is quality

Listened to the podcast last night. He kept making the point that it's far more intense and violent compared to the others and that he'd be extremely wary of taking "younger" (aged 7-10'ish) kids to see it. Naturally the bairn is going this afternoon with his dad so I guess we'll see..

Rogue One 6.5/10

Visually the best Star Wars film with the greatest full on battle scene ever, but the plaudits end there.

There are some serious flaws with this, especially the lazy and inarticulate directing which couldn't overcome buckets of exposition and 2D character development pitched at video game level.

Diego Luna as Cassian is hopeless. There is his twee Spanish accent (I honestly couldn't understand some of what he said), his inability to deliver emotional dialogue and those piggy eyes...Lead protagonists don't work with piggy eyes...In film 90% of the delivery is in the eyes. Felicity Jones too is hopeless you just can't identify or care for her even in emotional charged scenes with her father she comes across as chocolate box and not even Milk Tray at that. She was good in other films so it can only be the hapless Dir of Gareth Edwards who has a great eye but sadly no orchestration to convey emotional character driven moments. There were 7 cuts in one cuddle with her father...The eye can't linger the brain can't connect the soul starts to not give a fuck.

Jyn isn't helped by the fact that all her lines are exposition..'We have to do this, we have to go there...This is happening that might happen...Someone is somewhere..We have to find that...etc..The only character given a 15 min backstory for empathy loading spends the rest of the film cuing action and verbalizing plot points. The script is essentially very flat and probably the worst Star Wars script of all time...Her checklist transition from survivor to 'rebel' is a vague retinue that skips over the mind like a mobile phone commercial..We don't really know what or how it happened but it looks nice. There is a bad pot noodle mix of paper thin script, 2D acting and zero emotional range (teary look - frown - happy face). Gareth Edwards either can't direct or spent the whole time worrying about the look and the special effects (which are brilliant).

Wen and Donnie Yen could have been the ace in the hole but the battle scenes they appear in their action sets are ridiculous, unbelievable and almost totally without jeopardy (bar one scene). They have no intro, no backstory bar a couple of lines and no emotional depth hence you don't really give a fuck if they live or die cause you don't really care about them. Samurai slapstick. This is a kind of 'Dirty Dozen' almost completely sanitized of nourishment like a Big Mac. Big lazy badly drawn plasticky characters flay around against one magnificent back drop after another. Mikkelsen delivers the only partially believable performance and that is saying something due to what he is up against. K-2SO has the best lines and does deadpan like a machine which is extremely funny.

You're basically glued to the fantastic eye candy of the compositions with rich detail and depth and some lego figures are kinda getting in the way trying to spoil it.

Edited by Park Life

Listened to the podcast last night. He kept making the point that it's far more intense and violent compared to the others and that he'd be extremely wary of taking "younger" (aged 7-10'ish) kids to see it. Naturally the bairn is going this afternoon with his dad so I guess we'll see..

Let me know Jnr's verdict- I'm taking Fist Jnr. over the holidays, so plot, acting etc is irrelevant.

How does it hold up in the shooty bang bang stakes? :lol:

i watched it yesterday, don't see why like, donnie yen batters some people with a stick, usual lazer gun kills/explosions

but it's not like you see gore or whatever, guess it's more for the fact people are killed off in it on screen

edit > looked it up

VIOLENCE

There are frequent gunfights, use of hand-held weapons, explosions and aerial dogfights between spaceships. Blood and injury detail is limited and brief.

Occasional scenes of mild threat include an interrogation and gun threat.

so basically star wars stuff happens

Well you know the kind of stuff he normally watches so it sounds like it'll be fine. I've just mentioned it to his dad so he's aware. MF - will let you know! 

He keeps trying to persuade me to let him watch Deadpool. He's 7 ffs! 

In fairness the deadpool thing is probably my fault lol

It probably is! He keeps putting his woolly hat over his face, walking up behind me saying "Hi, I'm Deadpool" :lol: