Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Well, I can't prove that either way on here but people who go to the piss-ups can confirm I'm not fat. And the same people have said you are. :)

those same people haven't seen the new slimline me though.

lost half a stone baby, yeah! <_<

Well, I can't prove that either way on here but people who go to the piss-ups can confirm I'm not fat. And the same people have said you are. :)

those same people haven't seen the new slimline me though.

lost half a stone baby, yeah! <_<

That's right, there's no proof of what you say. :)

Amelie. The first time I've seen it (and the first time I've ever watched a totally subtitled film). Very good, just the type of film you never see coming from Hollywood.

Really, not seen any Asian cinema or 'City of God' or owt like that? Would be just your cup of char I reckon.

Crouching Tiger is the only asian film I've watched all the way through and I'm embarassed to admit I watched it dubbed.

There's a lot of foreign films I quite fancy (City Of God, Kurasowa films etc) but I'm always put off with the subtitles. Mainly because whenever I've tried to watch a film with subtitles the dialogue seems very poor as if they have just done a basic translation and you don't get what they are really saying.

I watched a bit of Ong Bak the other night and some of the dialogue seemed laughable.

After watching Amelie I think I have proved to myself that I can watch a film with subtitles so I will probably give some others a go.

Edited by David Kelly

Amelie. The first time I've seen it (and the first time I've ever watched a totally subtitled film). Very good, just the type of film you never see coming from Hollywood.

Really

My sentiments exactly.

With such fine taste I assumed Mr Kelly would have seen all the foreign classics.

Crouching Tiger is the only asian film I've watched all the way through and I'm embarassed to admit I watched it dubbed.

There's a lot of foreign films I quite fancy (City Of God, Kurasowa films etc) but I'm always put off with the subtitles. Mainly because whenever I've tried to watch a film with subtitles the dialogue seems very poor as if they have just done a basic translation and you don't get the real meaning.

I watched a bit of Ong Bak the other night and some of the dialogue seemed laughable.

After watching Amelie I think I have proved to myself that I can watch a film with subtitles so I will probably give some others a go.

Ong Bak is only really decent for the fight scenes imo. The dialogue is laughable. There's a load of good films out there though and the subtitles never put me off tbh. You soon get used to them.

Edit: Btw I'd say from my experience when you watch a film dubbed, it ruins it. I much prefer subtitles.

Edited by alex

Subtitled film recommendations...

Hidden - French A married couple are terrorized by a series of videotapes planted on their front porch.

Pusher Trilogy Danish (as originally recommended by Mr Face) - Three stories surrounded by the underground drugs trade of Copenhagen...

A Very Long Engagement French - Audrey Tatou. the story of a a young woman, Mathilde's relentless search for her fiancée, who has disappeared from the trenches of the Somme during World War One

I actully really fancy that Hidden.

Like I said now that I have proved to myself I can watch a film in subtitles I'm sure I will pick more up.

I know my sister has City Of God on DVD so that might well be my first stop.

Unless Ong Bak is on again tonight (seems to have been on every night on Sky recently) in which case I will probably try and watch that because I was quite enjoying it despite the poor dialogue.

I actully really fancy that Hidden.

Like I said now that I have proved to myself I can watch a film in subtitles I'm sure I will pick more up.

I know my sister has City Of God on DVD so that might well be my first stop.

Unless Ong Bak is on again tonight (seems to have been on every night on Sky recently) in which case I will probably try and watch that because I was quite enjoying it despite the poor dialogue.

City of God is class. Another one you might like is La Haine.

I always put subtitles on. Even on English speaking DVD's.

I'm not mutton or owt. I just don't like to miss anything if, say for example, Russell Crowe is doing his low mumble.

Don't want to misquote any dialogue more like, you dweeb <_<

I'm not mutton or owt. I just don't like to miss anything if, say for example, Russell Crowe is doing his low mumble.

Actually I do that to which makes it more strange that it has took me so long to give foreign films a go.

I often watch films when the bairn and wor lass are alseep and the house is so small and open plan that I have to have the volume down real low so I put the subtitles on to make sure I can catch everything. And it never bothers me in the slightest.

Don't want to misquote any dialogue more like, you dweeb <_<

You would fight me?

To Kill A Mockingbird - Gregory Peck classic. Top stuff

The Double Life of Veronique - Absoloutley brilliant, though I never had a clue what was going on. It looked lush though and I can't wait to watch it again and try to work it out.

The China Syndrome - Missed the first few minutes but caught this on More4. I kept thinking "I'll turn this off soon", but never did and kept coming back after the adverts. It was great fun. Jack Lemmon is immense. Almost as good as he is in Glengarry Glen Ross.

Only Yesterday - Early Studio Ghibli film without any of the magic of their more recent stuff. Though the stuff with the kid is adorable, especially at the end when her ten year old self runs with her back to the village. :icon_lol::D

The Bicycle Theives - All I could think of was the Burlesque house episode of the Simpsons.

Heres a few other foreign films to get you all started.

memories of murder: korean police drama. about koreas first serial killer and how completely unpreprared the police were.

Shutter: taiwanese horror. you'll :icon_lol::D when you find out what causes the blokes neck pain.

Quill: Japanese comedy drama about the life of a guide dog. anyone who has lost a dog will cry buckets.

Once Upon A Time In The West.

Never mind the fact it's one of the greatest films of all time, people call it Leone's masterpiece well I don't as it's not even my favourite Leone film, but the fact that it is so good and yet not my favourite shows how good the genius of Sergio Leone was. It also stars one of the most beautiful women of all time.

untitledoa9.jpg