Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

King Kong vs. Godzilla - The American production is quality, the helium balloon transportation of King Kong for his fight with Godzilla being a highlight (video), but I wouldn't mind seeing the original cut without the American news presenter which is meant to be even better.

kkgballoontravellu5.jpg

King Kong Escapes - The better of the two, it sticks more to the original with King Kong smitten by a blonde bombshell and just doing what he can to find and protect her. The fact that Dr Who has made a robot King Kong to find all the element X in order to become a nuclear world power adds another dimension though, where King Kong is disgusted by 'civilisation' and leaves us to it. The best bit on here is the T-Rex that would rather drop kick Kong than bite him :unsure:

poster316uy1.jpg

Edited by Happy Face

The Birth of a Nation - watching it now, the goodies come across as baddies and vice versa. A putrid, denial ridden, southern, white account of the civil war, reconstruction and the inception of the KKK. I've always avoided it because a silent film lasting over 3 hours doesn't sound as entertaining as King Kong Vs Godzilla and more modern, short stuff. But I was gripped throughout. Fascinating stuff.

The full film is available to view here but isn't as cleaned up as the DVD.

Hidden - Call me old fashioned but I like my thrillers to end up resolved, there's no point in keeping me on the edge of my seat then leaving me there. It's not that I dislike open ended films per se, Lost in Translation for example is quality, but for a film to do that it should really be asking the viewer bigger, unanswerable questions about life, not whodunnit? That said, I did thoroughly enjoy the film and it did ask bigger questions about the nature of guilt, lies, good intentions etc. it just didn't follow the genre convention which was unsatisfying for me.

I thought this was excellent and I'm not sure the question of who was sending the tapes needed to be resolved (I think it's safe to assume it was the son as I can't think of any other logical explanation). I think the film was more about guilt and what it does to people than the mystery of the tapes.

Oh and the final scene in Majid's appartment is one of the most memorable scenes I have ever seen. Truely brilliant.

Talladega nights and the black Dahlia. Not bad on both nothing exceptional. Will Ferrell should make a more well structured and written comedy like Old school again. he is well talented but just giving him a character his mates and pointing a camera at him doesn't bring out the best in him in my opinion.

Hidden - Call me old fashioned but I like my thrillers to end up resolved, there's no point in keeping me on the edge of my seat then leaving me there. It's not that I dislike open ended films per se, Lost in Translation for example is quality, but for a film to do that it should really be asking the viewer bigger, unanswerable questions about life, not whodunnit? That said, I did thoroughly enjoy the film and it did ask bigger questions about the nature of guilt, lies, good intentions etc. it just didn't follow the genre convention which was unsatisfying for me.

I thought this was excellent and I'm not sure the question of who was sending the tapes needed to be resolved (I think it's safe to assume it was the son as I can't think of any other logical explanation). I think the film was more about guilt and what it does to people than the mystery of the tapes.

Oh and the final scene in Majid's appartment is one of the most memorable scenes I have ever seen. Truely brilliant.

Yeah, this has definitely become one of my favourite films. I became completely immersed from beginning to... well, until the penultimate scene. The movie felt so claustrophobic to me that, when the last shot/scene came, all the tension i had felt throughout the whole thing, completely dissipated and i felt so relieved... and at the same time, quite disturbed with what i had just experienced. I thought "ok, this should be the end" and started waiting for the credits to roll, and yes, it was 'the ending' but the last shot will keep people talking about what it might reveal... if it reveals anything at all. But this is not the type of film where everything is orchestrated just to deliver a surprise 'twist' ending.

The structure of the film is remarkable and it touches themes that revolve around trust (or distrust) and the way we might communicate (or not communicate) it; be it between husband & wife, parents & sons, french & algerians, legitimate child & adopted child, filmmaker & audience etc. In all honesty, there are numerous themes that I need to get my head round. And the fact that music wasn't used once to manipulate the viewer's emotions, while remaining devastating at times, should really be applauded.

Edited by looneytoon

Yeah, this has definitely become one of my favourite films. I became completely immersed from beginning to... well, until the penultimate scene. The movie felt so claustrophobic to me that, when the last shot/scene came, all the tension i had felt throughout the whole thing, completely dissipated and i felt so relieved... and at the same time, quite disturbed with what i had just experienced. I thought "ok, this should be the end" and started waiting for the credits to roll, and yes, it was 'the ending' but the last shot will keep people talking about what it might reveal... if it reveals anything at all. But this is not the type of film where everything is orchestrated just to deliver a surprise 'twist' ending.

The structure of the film is remarkable and it touches themes that revolve around trust (or distrust) and the way we might communicate (or not communicate) it; be it between husband & wife, parents & sons, french & algerians, legitimate child & adopted child, filmmaker & audience etc. In all honesty, there are numerous themes that I need to get my head round. And the fact that music wasn't used once to manipulate the viewer's emotions, while remaining devastating at times, should really be applauded.

I hadn't even noticed the lack of music I was so into the film. It certainly didn't go for any of the easy shocks or twists for that type of film all of which make all the more memorable. I suspect it will stay in my mind for a long time to come which is always a good sign for a film.

The book by James Ellroy is good. Is the movie a reproduction of that or not?

Have a guess :unsure:

The Black Dahlia murder is an actual event. Ellroy's book is a fictionalised version of the events surrounding the Black Dahlia murder. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they're telling a different version of the story, knerbheed. ;)

The Black Dahlia murder is an actual event. Ellroy's book is a fictionalised version of the events surrounding the Black Dahlia murder. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they're telling a different version of the story, knerbheed. ;)

The answer's yes btw.

'The Black Dahlia' is an old b&w film too though isn't it come to think of it? Or am I thinking of something else/a similar named film? I bet David Kelly/Happy Face would know.

The answer's yes btw.

'The Black Dahlia' is an old b&w film too though isn't it come to think of it? Or am I thinking of something else/a similar named film? I bet David Kelly/Happy Face would know.

The Blue Dahlia is an old Alan Ladd film noir. I don't know if it's at all related but it's supposed to be a better film.

The answer's yes btw.

The Blue Dahlia is an old Alan Ladd film noir. I don't know if it's at all related but it's supposed to be a better film.

That's the one I'm thinking of.

The films aren't related and the Blue Dahlia came out a few months before the actual real murder case. Which possibly accounts, in part, for the nickname given to the actress who was killed.

certainly alludes to that in the Black Dahlia

From wiki:

"According to newspaper reports shortly after the murder, Short received the nickname "Black Dahlia" at a Long Beach drugstore in the summer of 1946, as a play on the then-current movie The Blue Dahlia, starring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake. However, Los Angeles County district attorney investigators' reports state the nickname was invented by newspaper reporters covering the murder. In either case, Short was not generally known as the "Black Dahlia" during her lifetime."

I guess no one else has seen Spirit of the Beehive. I'm so alone. :unsure:

I have. The Spanish (70's fillum?) set during the civil war about the two young sisters. Lurved it. Absolutely class.

I think he means the Studio Gigli (sp?) one about the story of a brother and sister during the second world war

Don't know that one. I only stumbled upon the other one on Amazon though after it was recommended after another Spanish film.

Edit: Forget it :unsure:

Edited by alex