Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Expendables 2 - surely I don't need to say owt about this one. Throw-back to your childhood if you're anything like me, fun but less enjoyable than the first in my opinion.

Bourne Legacy - not as good as the other 3 but it's not terrible either.

The Watch - had low expectations of this and it was better than anticipated. Some genuine laugh out loud moments.

A little Bit of Heaven

A grotesque, evil, wretched, puss ridden, disgrace of a film about a slag, being a complete cath-word to her mates and family as she dies from arse cancer. I was glad she died but disappointed in her nearest and dearest for making it easy on her as she popped her self-centred, inconsiderate clogs. Contains hideous scenes of Whoopi Goldberg as god (which she did much better in The Muppets years before), gay best friends dancing, spirits dancing at a party funeral and cringeworthy drunk acting on a bike. It's in poorer taste than you could possibly imagine a feel good cancer rom-com would be.

The Goonies

Mary Poppins is the greatest family film there ever was, but once the little ones are a bit older, and can take the odd "shit" here and there, this is as good as family viewing gets. Was at a christening on Sunday and supposed to go out in Newcastle after, but we dodged that and turned all the lights off, got a blanket out and watched it from start to finish instead. Much better. "That's what I said! Booby Traps!"

Citizen Kane

citizenkane4.jpg

Shamefully this was the first time I've seen it, and for somebody like myself that is a self-professed film geek that's quite shocking really.

Of course I'm not going to rate it as highly as it is perceived on some of the lists from the critics, as that's where the power of the film lies to this day, the impact it had at the time due to its fresh take on cinematography, the special effects, the score etc.

Still think the film passes the test of time, although I'm not going to rank it amongst my own personal favourites but I can certainly see how it received such praise at the time.

Also I think the whole premise of the film shows that despite all of the materialistic things 'Charlie' had acquired in his life all he still longed for that love that he felt he lost when his mother signed over those forms.

Having watched it you might be interested in Raising Kane by Pauline Kael...

http://www.paulrossen.com/paulinekael/raisingkane.html

She basically says "Screw Orson Welles, Gregg Toland was DA MAN!!"

Just back from taking my redheaded 5yr old and her 5yr old cousin to see Brave.

I'd say it's maybe just a bit old for them, but they seemed to enjoy it. There's just not enough funny to keep them entertained.

Having said that, the animation is stunning. Absolutely stunning.

From the opening scene onwards , the landscapes are incredible, there's a scene with rain running down the castle stonework, the princess's hair- magnificent.

Just back from taking my redheaded 5yr old and her 5yr old cousin to see Brave.

I'd say it's maybe just a bit old for them, but they seemed to enjoy it. There's just not enough funny to keep them entertained.

Having said that, the animation is stunning. Absolutely stunning.

From the opening scene onwards , the landscapes are incredible, there's a scene with rain running down the castle stonework, the princess's hair- magnificent.

Aha! so thats why you shave your head ;)

The Assassination of Richard Nixon

assassinationofrichardnixon.jpg

Sean Penn plays down and out salesman Sam Bicke who ends up with an unhealthy obsession over Richard Nixon who he believes is at fault for all of the woes in his life as he's at the top of the system that has failed him miserably. Because of this he then decides his aim will be to assassinate Nixon.

Honestly I've saw films like that before where you feel something for the character which then makes you feel something for the film, however in the case of this I can honestly say I felt absolutely nothing towards Bicke, which then made me feel pretty numb about my own perceptions of the film. By the end of it I was just happy that it was over.

I also felt you never really saw much into his obsession over Nixon, one moment you first see Nixon on the TV with Bicke taking an interest in him, then the next he's decided that he's going to kill him.

Something to kill 90 minutes but not really a film I'd recommend to anybody.

Watched "The Loved Ones". I've been recording a series of horror films on film4. This was a bit fucked up but watchable. Not one to take serious and not edge of the seat stuff. Aimed to make you cringe more than owt else.

The Avengers

050412-the-avengers.jpg

Went into this fully knowing what to expect, that it would be two hours of fast paced action, without the greatest of plot lines and a couple of cheesy quips thrown in there. That's pretty much exactly what I got from it, although it was enjoyable in a you don't have to think at all during this film kind of way. Certainly killed a couple of hours. Not a classic or anything but if you're interested in the genre then I'd definitely recommend you go and see it.

Oh and Scarlett's arse in that outfit. :faint::boogie:

Avengers+Scarlett.jpg

Eventually got to see the new Batman. Id read a few people saying it was ok and not as good as the second. I reckon this lowered my expectations and meant I thoroughly enjoyed it. Brilliant ending imo. Theres been a few films Ive wanted to see and missed (Snow White & the Huntsman for example) recently. Still fancy total recall and might get to see Judge Dredd next week.

aye not the best not the worst,

"Puny god *hmph* :D

You seen the alternative post-credit scene? Not the one where they reveal the obligatory Wheddon Big Bad

that the Lebanese bit?

Think thats the only post-credit one i've seen

Yeah, so you haven't seen the post-credit reveal of the bad-guy for the next Avengers movie?