Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

He got the job as a direct result of the Empire implementing the Rooney Rule.

:lol: He looks like he's on a stag do in Dubai and he's just woke up pissed in the desert wondering where the fuck he is. The last thing I was expecting from the building sense of foreboding at the start of a trailer was for a black fella to pop into shot in a stormtrooper outfit. (Plus I was a bit spackered watching it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously? You not into the genre or was it just bad?

I could write and essay about what's wrong with these films. In the main this anitpodean has mistaked epic scale for long and tedious. There is literally no character development apart from the most basic checklist and the scenes just fold inot each other, poorly framed with endless wide shots and camp melodrama. This material had a lot of promise.

Edited by Park Life

I could write and essay about what's wrong with these films. In the main this anitpodean has mistaked epic scale for long and tedious. There is literally no character development apart from the most basic checklist and the scenes just fold inot each other, poorly framed with endless wide shots and camp melodrama. This material had a lot of promise.

I am starting to hate pricks who take brilliant books and basically think they can make it better. Sky 1s Treasure Island fucked me off too.

Well yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head when mentioning the length. The rest stems from that. How can you make 3 movies out of this when you made 3 from LOTR? Disappointing because they did well with LOTR on the whole. That meant success for the Hobbit was a given and they're just milking it.

Will still watch it though :lol:

So I've been floored by bad health this week, so I've watched some films.

"The Trip To Italy"

Good crack to a fantastic backdrop, what's not to like?

"The Equalizer"

As with most Denzel films, he literally is invincible. Predictable stuff.

"NIghtcrawler"

Well written, well shot, and a top lead performance from JG. I've never really been a big fan of his but he puts a good show on here.

"Fury"

The anti-war movie that turns into an action movie, great and horrifying all the same.

"The Mule"

Not a big plot, but plenty of laughs and surprisingly enjoyable for an Aussie movie as they are generally shit!

Guardians of the Galaxy....ok but glad i didn't pay to see it in a theater, i may have reached my super-hero movie limit.

Think most big action movies are much much better on the big screen.

How much is a trip to the cinema these days? tickets, drinks, snacks etc.

Think most big action movies are much much better on the big screen.

How much is a trip to the cinema these days? tickets, drinks, snacks etc.

A fortune. It was about £25 (tickets only) for 2 adults and the bairn the last time we went. I took treats with us because I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for cardboard popcorn and flat coke.

Worth looking around for Groupon deals, we got a bunch of Odeon tickets for £4 each recently. The very latest releases tend to be excluded for the first week or two but then I'm always slow to get to things anyway (only just saw Interstellar on Monday for example). :D

A fortune. It was about £25 (tickets only) for 2 adults and the bairn the last time we went. I took treats with us because I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for cardboard popcorn and flat coke.

Christ on a bike!

There's a Picturehouse cinema near us where a full priced adult ticket on Saturday for the Hobbit in 3D is £13.50. However, if you become a member for £40 per year you get 3 free tickets, a small discount on tickets, food & drink etc. etc. The daytime midweek showings are even cheaper. Properly comfy seats, can take pint glasses and genuinely good food into the screens as well. I don't think there's a Picturehouse in Newcastle though, which is a shame.

Used to be better; £30, 3 free tickets, 25% discount on everything, 1st dibs on Q&A sessions, but then Picturehouse was bought by some big soulless shithouse like Vue or Cineworld or someone.

Kind of a rambling post this, so I'm going to shut up now.

You've got the Tyneside though.

Only ever been to the cafe, is the cinema any good? I know it puts on a decent range of movies, but other than that I'm in the dark.

The Theory of Everything

I enjoyed the Imitation Game but I thought this was better. The trailer did nowt for me. Annoyed me that they seemed to have turned The remarkable achievements of Stephen hawking into a romantic film, but the fact that it is based on his ex-wifes book means she was bound to be a massive part of the film. For a while I would get angry every time it left the classroom/lab and went back home, but the story of his home life is what ultimately set this apart from the imitation game. Both films about the work and personal lives of brilliant men, there's much more heart to the Hawking film. In the end Hawking doesn't take as much pride in his work as he does from his family. As a new dad, that got to me. The Achievements of Turing are remarkable and the real world application obviously hugely important and dramatic, but of the two men Turing is a workaholic shunning any close ties with real people while Hawking is a pisshead randy bugger chasing every bit of tail and tossing out brilliant theories left right and centre as he goes. Amazing performance from Redmayne too.