Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I think it's a lot more subtle. I didn't expect it to be as funny as I found it. I just really liked all the characters from the start. Although I did find Aiden Gillen's Irish accent a bit weird. Especially given that he is Irish.

Just watched What We Do In The Shadows and I thought that was really funny too. The werewolves were brilliant.

Still Alice. Good film, Moore is quality in it.

Alzheimer's is fucking terrifying. Read an article on the Guardian today about people suffering with the disease who've watched the film and commented on how accurate it is and how well it documents the onset and realisation of a growing problem.

I'd definitely be getting shot of myself if I ended up with it.

Just read that article.

My Nana started to go a little while before she died and it was horrible. An old mate of mine who moved to NI had to have his Dad moved to a home near him after his Mam died and I remember saying one thing I was "grateful" for about my Mam's death was that at least she kept her mind. She was a bit lost in the hospital near the end but that's all.

Aye not giving anything away here, as it was mentioned in that article, but the character in the film saying that she wished she had cancer instead makes perfect sense. Not being able to find the toilet in your own house or recognise your own family must be a uniquely terrifying/depressing feeling.

Enders Game. Wouldn't recommend it. Flimsy storyline, even Harrison Ford couldn't lift it above mundane. 4/10

That book is considered a sci-fi classic and it is absolute nitro-gash. Hours and hours and hours of reading about them playing that stupid fucking game. Anyway, more positively, I saw Ex Machina last week. It's quality.

Stayed in at the weekend so I watched a few films that I'd recorded recently.

Shallow Grave. Hadn't seen it in years but it's really held up well and I enjoyed it much more than when I first watched it.

New Jack City. Complete opposite to Shallow Grave. I used to love this when I was a teenager but it's pretty shite when I watched it again. Glad I've watched Boyz n The Hood and Menace II Society recently or I'd be worried that they would have aged similarly.

Sexy Beast. For some reason I'd never watched this before (well Ray Winston would be a good reason to stay clear these days but this was before he turned into such a cunt). Kingsley is outstanding as the terrifying and unnhinged Don Logan. It's worth watching just for him.

Crazy Heart. Decent enough.

A Shot In The Dark. I don't think I've ever seen any of the Pink Panther films before but of course I've seen loads of clips of Peter Sellers as Clouseau. I don't really think comedies age that well most of the time (Life Of Brian and The Holy Grail being the most obvious exceptions) and I think this is the kind of film that you love if you first saw it when you were young but doesn't offer a great deal now. Sellers is good but overall it was watchable but not great.

The Master. I'm never sure what to expect from PT Anderson's films. I really like Boogie Night and Punch Drunk Love (and I think after a couple more go's Inherrent Vice will click with me) but for all the great performances I really didn't get Magnolia or There Will Be Blood. Unfortunately this fell into the later group. PSH was great but I found it difficult to understand what Phoenix was saying half the time. He looked like he was supposed to have suffered a stroke with that half closed mouth. And I just didn't connect with the story at all.

TMNT. Awful in every way

:lol: I agreed to watch it as I thought at least I could look at Megan Fox but it was fucking horrific, turned it off around the time she starts giving the bullshit backstory about how they were her pets.

Watched that new Chris Rock film Top Five, thought it was canny tbh. I guess it's a similar theme to the Birdman one of an actor in an identity crisis but I enjoyed it far more, as Rock was good and anything with Tracy Morgan in is worth a laugh. Wee Bey Brice was also in it for a bit for the Wire fans.

Stayed in at the weekend so I watched a few films that I'd recorded recently.

Shallow Grave. Hadn't seen it in years but it's really held up well and I enjoyed it much more than when I first watched it.

New Jack City. Complete opposite to Shallow Grave. I used to love this when I was a teenager but it's pretty shite when I watched it again. Glad I've watched Boyz n The Hood and Menace II Society recently or I'd be worried that they would have aged similarly.

Sexy Beast. For some reason I'd never watched this before (well Ray Winston would be a good reason to stay clear these days but this was before he turned into such a cunt). Kingsley is outstanding as the terrifying and unnhinged Don Logan. It's worth watching just for him.

Crazy Heart. Decent enough.

A Shot In The Dark. I don't think I've ever seen any of the Pink Panther films before but of course I've seen loads of clips of Peter Sellers as Clouseau. I don't really think comedies age that well most of the time (Life Of Brian and The Holy Grail being the most obvious exceptions) and I think this is the kind of film that you love if you first saw it when you were young but doesn't offer a great deal now. Sellers is good but overall it was watchable but not great.

The Master. I'm never sure what to expect from PT Anderson's films. I really like Boogie Night and Punch Drunk Love (and I think after a couple more go's Inherrent Vice will click with me) but for all the great performances I really didn't get Magnolia or There Will Be Blood. Unfortunately this fell into the later group. PSH was great but I found it difficult to understand what Phoenix was saying half the time. He looked like he was supposed to have suffered a stroke with that half closed mouth. And I just didn't connect with the story at all.

there will be blood is beyond awful. i can't remember the last time i watched anything quite so self-important, pretentious and, frankly, boring.

and the less said about day lewis's hammy performance, the better. he lost me with gangs of new york and has never won me back. in the name of the father, his last great performance, seems a long time ago.