Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Didn't think it was very different violence wise from the last one. My youngest daughter is 11 and she was fine with it and she's definitely more squeamish than her older sister. You know your bairn better than me so ultimately it's your call, I know some of the stuff I inadvertently watched when my dad first got a VHS in 1982 and I turned out err, well anyway, its up to you. ;)

He was absolutely fine with the last one. if that the case I'm or too sure why my mate warned me against taking him. He said it was regarding the ending, which I don't want to know about till I see the bastard.

Gloom, after slating you the other day, I listened to Kermode's patter about it. He reckons that 12A has a recommended lower limit of 8, and that in this instance 8 should definitely be observed.

Had a couple of listeners writing in saying that half an hour in their kids wanted to leave.

He was absolutely fine with the last one. if that the case I'm or too sure why my mate warned me against taking him. He said it was regarding the ending, which I don't want to know about till I see the bastard.

Definitely not for a 5 year old IMO. I can see why your mate said that having seen it now. Go see it yourself first, at least.

Yeah, I think I'll do that.

He was fine with the last one, even with the Han Solo plot line, which he then revealed in the queue to get in to see the film when he went for a second time with his grandparents - poor sods who had gone weeks trying to avoid spoilers must have been seething ?

Talking of Star Wars, just flicking through the sky channels and saw a nice scene with the kid and Natalie Portman and remembered how creepy it is that they get together.

Nowt wrong with a ten year gap between couples but meeting when one is ten is a bit iffy.

Rogue One is mint. Better than force awakens in some ways. Less obvious humour and fewer nods to the original trilogy but more of a fanboy movie in some ways, definitely a more grown up movie and I'm not sure suitable for a 5 year old.

The most impressive sequences bits were the cgi - some next level shit involving Pete Cushing and Carrie Fisher, who I hope is ok after the news that broke about her tonight.

The final battle sequence was ridiculous. Amazing direction to cut from one complex action sequence which would blend seasmlessly into the next. Apparently this was achieved by the director, who has a background in vfx, planning it all using VR. I hope I've managed to deliver an assessment there free of spoilers.

8.5/10. Possibly even better than force awakens. Both films have made a mockery of Lucas's attempts at his prequels. Clearly he was surrounded by too many yes men when he made those. Rogue One was the prequel most Star Wars geeks were hoping for, finally delivered. I loved the final segue to a new hope.

Bad Moms is fine man. There's a lot worse comedies out there. If you have to watch that to get to watch Hell or High Water, that's a great deal.

I couldn't remember who said this so looked it up. You (and Chez) are getting docked points. I put it on thinking reasonable people had liked it. 30 minutes in and even the wife hasn't laughed yet.

Edit: David Kelly (as always) spot on about how awful it is.

Kick Ass 2 -  I loved Kick Ass, but this was horrific, like chalk and cheese.  Not sure how the writer director got the job based on his lack of previous success but it sorely misses the input of Vaughn and Goldman.  More gross-out comedy than super hero, the gross is just rank and I can't imagine laughing even when I was 13.

Rogue One

I had no idea Donnie Yen was going to show up.  I'd heard a lot about the droid and that matched expectations, but Yen was the surprise that lifted it for me.  I thought the cgi on Cushing and Fisher was incredible despite criticisms I've listened to since and watching the latter deliver the "hope" line after her death had me welling up.  The first half hour had me worried as it darted back and forth like a sci-fi Fast Show not hanging about anywhere more than 60 seconds trying to introduce every new character and their strand, but it settled down once they all came together.  It was a bit rote that they would travel from one planet to another doing action scenes on locations and then a load of exposition on the ship, repeatedly making getaways then flying into the next danger zone.  Any criticism is no more than I would level at ANY of the previous chapters though, it's up there with the best of all installments in the series.

Doesn't seem to have been mentioned on here so hoying up the trailer and recommending to all.  Even if you have no more than a passing interest in the Beach Boys.  For the fans there's the story of recording Pet Sounds and Wilson's descent into drugs and madness.  The more emotional and dramatic story to interest everyone else comes decades later with Eugene Landy using and abusing his position as Wilson's doctor for his own benefit while others try to get Wilson out from his clutches. 

Enjoyed the Accountant for what it is. Surprised Batfleck was the lead as it could probably have worked as well with any actor who's good enough at stuntsing.

Batfleck

407910_1688.jpeg

That's a pretty poor list tbf!

My favourites from last year off the top of my head were

Captain Fantastic

Green Room

I Daniel Blake

Don't Breathe

10 Cloverfield Lane

Wizard Mode

Still waiting to see:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Hell or HighWater

Train to Busan

Everybody wants some

Enjoyed rogue 1 today, not a "massive SW fanboy" ( not seen any of the 3 prequels Lucas did) so can't really compare it to much other than last years effort, which it is miles better than. The thing that got me about them both though is how massively fuckin derivative they both are in different ways. Hardly needs anything said about last years nostalgia fest but today in the first half hour they were stealing scenes from Bladerunner (virtually the first scene of the film is fuckin identical to the first scene in Bladerunner where the spacecraft is coming into land in the futuristic city) and then there's the homages to all the classic westerns filmed at Monument Valley in the sweeping "planetscape" shots. Disney are throwing a fuck ton of money at SW now so I was expecting something a bit more original than blatant theft tbh (there were a couple more that crossed my mind in that first half hour but they escape me now)

That's a pretty poor list tbf!

My favourites from last year off the top of my head were

Captain Fantastic

Green Room

I Daniel Blake

Don't Breathe

10 Cloverfield Lane

Wizard Mode

Still waiting to see:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Hell or HighWater

Train to Busan

Everybody wants some

Not seen captain fantastic yet (or even heard of Wizard Mode) but I really enjoyed all of the others that you liked and all of the ones that you've not seen.

I've spent most of Christmas watching old films (gutted that Zulu wasn't on) or repeats of Only Fools and Horses.  Might try and get some new films watched this week.

Not seen captain fantastic yet (or even heard of Wizard Mode) but I really enjoyed all of the others that you liked and all of the ones that you've not seen.

I've spent most of Christmas watching old films (gutted that Zulu wasn't on) or repeats of Only Fools and Horses.  Might try and get some new films watched this week.

Its about a pin-ball player. Its J69s thing.