Owen return may be 12 weeks away

Craig

Graeme Souness says that just thinking about Michael Owen's absence due to injury gives him a headache.

And he admitted today it could still be as long as 12 weeks before the England striker is ready to return.

Owen is slowly recovering from metatarsal trouble after picking up the injury on New Year's Eve at Tottenham in a collision with keeper Paul Robinson.

The England man looks set to be OK for the World Cup - but that's not what Toon fans want to hear and they would prefer to see him back in a black-and-white shirt before the end of the season.

With FA Cup hopes boosted by victory at Cheltenham and a good home draw in the fifth round against Southampton, Owen could yet play a part in any potential later ties in the competition.

And Souness has refused to rule anything out, saying: "He had his boot off yesterday and he was having another scan this morning, then it's just a case of stepping up his training.

"But we have not put a time on it because the best one to decide would be Michael.

"It's still, I think, anywhere between six and 12 weeks - six weeks would seem like a fortnight and 12 weeks would seem a long, long time away. I don't want to think about that."

Owen (pictured) was sickened by the injury as he was beginning to find his feet at United, with a hat-trick at West Ham evidence of the player's ability.

The Upton Park treble show also coincided with United's last Premiership win in December.

However, thoughts of Owen's return, sooner rather than later, would appear to be premature, with the ex-Liverpool man just beginning to walk on his injured foot.

Owen said: "Up until now, I've been at home in Chester just watching the horse racing on TV and reading the papers."

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

If that's true we may well have seen the last of him in a black and white shirt :naughty:

Graeme Souness says that just thinking about Michael Owen's absence due to injury gives him a headache.

And he admitted today it could still be as long as 12 weeks before the England striker is ready to return.

Owen is slowly recovering from metatarsal trouble after picking up the injury on New Year's Eve at Tottenham in a collision with keeper Paul Robinson.

The England man looks set to be OK for the World Cup - but that's not what Toon fans want to hear and they would prefer to see him back in a black-and-white shirt before the end of the season.

With FA Cup hopes boosted by victory at Cheltenham and a good home draw in the fifth round against Southampton, Owen could yet play a part in any potential later ties in the competition.

And Souness has refused to rule anything out, saying: "He had his boot off yesterday and he was having another scan this morning, then it's just a case of stepping up his training.

"But we have not put a time on it because the best one to decide would be Michael.

"It's still, I think, anywhere between six and 12 weeks - six weeks would seem like a fortnight and 12 weeks would seem a long, long time away. I don't want to think about that."

Owen (pictured) was sickened by the injury as he was beginning to find his feet at United, with a hat-trick at West Ham evidence of the player's ability.

The Upton Park treble show also coincided with United's last Premiership win in December.

However, thoughts of Owen's return, sooner rather than later, would appear to be premature, with the ex-Liverpool man just beginning to walk on his injured foot.

Owen said: "Up until now, I've been at home in Chester just watching the horse racing on TV and reading the papers."

If that's true we may well have seen the last of him in a black and white shirt :naughty:

87054[/snapback]

Oh joy. And we're only paying him an alleged £110,000 a week. What a bargain.

87054[/snapback]

Oh joy. And we're only paying him an alleged £110,000 a week. What a bargain.

87056[/snapback]

Fucking hell. And I'll bet he's fit as a fiddle for the WC an all. Probably on strict instructions not to 'hurry back' before then from the FA.

Annoying, but not really anyone's fault.  Or are we blaming Souness for this one, Renton? :naughty:

87058[/snapback]

The money could certainly have been better spent, but without Owen we would almost certainly get relegated. What is it, 6 points from the games he's missed? I blame Souness for the state we're in, yes, but in a more global sense than the signing of one player. You have to look at the bigger picture on who he got rid off as well. We should never have had to rely purely on one injury prone striker.

Annoying, but not really anyone's fault.  Or are we blaming Souness for this one, Renton? :naughty:

87058[/snapback]

The money could certainly have been better spent, but without Owen we would almost certainly get relegated. What is it, 6 points from the games he's missed? I blame Souness for the state we're in, yes, but in a more global sense than the signing of one player. You have to look at the bigger picture on who he got rid off as well. We should never have had to rely purely on one injury prone striker.

87066[/snapback]

If he'd only had more cash though he could have brought in a few more injury prone strikers.

Don't think he'll need the FA to tell him that tbh mancy.

87071[/snapback]

Nah I agree actually. I think the fact he's sat on his arse in Chester speaks volumes about where his heeds at and it certainly isnt with our relegation battle.

87071[/snapback]

Nah I agree actually. I think the fact he's sat on his arse in Chester speaks volumes about where his heeds at and it certainly isnt with our relegation battle.

87074[/snapback]

Ladbroke's shares closed up 50 points yesterday I hear :naughty:

87058[/snapback]

87066[/snapback]

If he'd only had more cash though he could have brought in a few more injury prone strikers.

87072[/snapback]

Not that long ago that we relied heavily on the injury prone Craig Bellamy and before that, an injury prone Alan Shearer.

We went to shit when they were out of action as well IIRC - Souness's fault? :unsure:

87071[/snapback]

87074[/snapback]

Ladbroke's shares closed up 50 points yesterday I hear :unsure:

87075[/snapback]

:naughty:

At least our money's keeping a few people in employment eh?

Annoying, but not really anyone's fault.  Or are we blaming Souness for this one, Renton? :unsure:

87058[/snapback]

87066[/snapback]

87072[/snapback]

Not that long ago that we relied heavily on the injury prone Craig Bellamy and before that, an injury prone Alan Shearer.

We went to shit when they were out of action as well IIRC - Souness's fault? :unsure:

87078[/snapback]

Well yes, if you accept that he bought Michael Owen (another injury prone striker)...which he did of course. :naughty:

87058[/snapback]

87066[/snapback]

87072[/snapback]

87078[/snapback]

I don't think you could say Shearer was injury prone to be fair. We did rely on him too much though and still do. Who has played him almost every match this year and is trying to persuade him to stay for another?

87058[/snapback]

By the way, by asking me specifically, you're not obsessively stalking me are you? :unsure:

87080[/snapback]

Seriously mate, you couldnt stalk anyone with hair like his. I wouldnt worry.

I was being a bit liberal where Shearer is concerned tbh, but I remember him being out a few times over the years and we desperately missed him...

Everyone remembers the ligament damage in 1997, but there's been significant periods since then when he was injured...

If he has played his last game, he's cost us £1.6m per game or £2.3m per goal....

Either way, that doesn't look good. But as has been said, no-one's fault really...

If he has played his last game, he's cost us £1.6m per game or £2.3m per goal....

Either way, that doesn't look good. But as has been said, no-one's fault really...

87093[/snapback]

I blame the fans.

87093[/snapback]

I blame the fans.

87096[/snapback]

Not all the fans though, just the ones who blindly support the team and perpetuate this mediocrity.

87093[/snapback]

I blame the fans.

87096[/snapback]

Not all the fans though, just the ones who blindly support the team and perpetuate this mediocrity.

87097[/snapback]

Agreed......basically anybody who didnt wait outside the gates at his appointment and try to drive a wooden stake through his heart in fact.

87093[/snapback]

I blame the fans.

87096[/snapback]

87097[/snapback]

Perpetual.......

Now what does that remind me of? :naughty: