the roeder to relegation?

Dr Gloom

Can I point out that Roeder took West Ham to 7th, before seeing his stars sold without his say so?

87918[/snapback]

that is correct....and without being deliberately flippant, the chairman of Newcastle isn't going to do that .....

87930[/snapback]

His stars were sold AFTER relegation.

And Souness took Blackburn to 6th did he not?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I point out that Roeder took West Ham to 7th, before seeing his stars sold without his say so?

87918[/snapback]

that is correct....and without being deliberately flippant, the chairman of Newcastle isn't going to do that .....

87930[/snapback]

His stars were sold AFTER relegation.

And Souness took Blackburn to 6th did he not?

88479[/snapback]

I'm not saying he should take over full time though. If I was told at the time that Souness was taking over for 12 weeks until we found a good manager, I wouldn't have been bothered. It's different.

On April 21, 2003, whilst West Ham were battling to remain in the FA Premier League, Roeder collapsed in his office due to a brain tumour. After taking the rest of the season off he returned to manage the side at the start of the next season. However, after a poor start in the First Division, Roeder was sacked by the newly relegated side.

West Ham had a slow start to the 2001-02 season and manager Glenn Roeder was under immense pressure from fans who were calling for him to be sacked. But he responded by turning the club's fortunes around and guiding them to a seventh-place finish in the final table, just one place short of European qualification - although there was a 12-point gap between West Ham and sixth-placed Chelsea. Had West Ham been consistent all season, then UEFA Cup or even Champions League qualification could have been achieved.

Another poor start plagued West Ham United through to 2002-03, and this time Roeder was unable to turn things round quickly enough. They finished 18th in the final table and their 10-year spell in the Premiership was over, the fact that no other club had ever being relegated from the division with 40+ points (West Ham had 42) was no consolation for a disappointed West Ham side. The relegation forced the sale of key players Joe Cole and Glen Johnson (both to Chelsea) in a bid to prevent a financial crisis at Upton Park. Glenn Roeder was sacked soon after the start of the 2003-04 season, and replaced by Reading boss Alan Pardew who was head hunted by West Ham and given the objective of promotion back to the FA Premier League within two seasons.

So yes, you're right about the timing of the transfers. Anyway, I've noticed that you've been against Roeder being anywhere near this job for ages now. What exactly have you got against him? Do you think we'd have been better keeping Souness?

They've started the first training session this morning, apparently Roeder has called Bramble and Boumsong over and started showing them some new trick. 'Here lads, watch this...you've heard of the Cruyff turn right? This is far more famous...'

I don't really want to get in to it; I just felt it was neccessary for CC to get the other side of what I felt was a pretty distorted view.  I think you've got a chip on your shoulder, but who doesn't?  I think you can paint yourself a bit of a muppet on here, but I'm probably slinging that from a glass house, so...

88296[/snapback]

Sorry, i was away so couldn't keep up.

OK, this seems based on something a little different from abstinence from alcohol.

However, i'm not getting of what J69 is getting instead either :blink:

And, tbh, i'm really crap at fighting, too weak. I threatened Renton once but he just ignored me, didn't even have the decency to bait me back.... ;)

I just don't think Roeder is better than Souness. Nothing in his past management career suggest otherwise. Souness had to go, and I suppose for a few weeks, Roeder shouldn't be able to do too much damage. But I think people who think we'll play with flair & passion tomorrow, just because Souness has gone are in for a bit of nasty shock.

I threatened Renton once but he just ignored me, didn't even have the decency to bait me back.... ;)

88552[/snapback]

Did you? :nah:

I'm so hard I just brush of threats me like. :blink:

Pefectly happy to fight you if you want though. :(

;)

I just don't think Roeder is better than Souness. Nothing in his past management career suggest otherwise. Souness had to go, and I suppose for a few weeks, Roeder shouldn't be able to do too much damage. But I think people who think we'll play with flair & passion tomorrow, just because Souness has gone are in for a bit of nasty shock.

88560[/snapback]

We'll see. At least Roeder won't be deliberately trying to get the sack, which I came to the conclusion is the only explanation for Souness's teams and, ahem, tactics of late. Roeder is a relatively unknown quantity, admittedly with a relegation to blight his CV. Souness on the other hand has proven himself to be utterly shit everywhere he has been.

88560[/snapback]

Tbh I think you could put anyone in charge for tomorrow and you would see more passion. The fans simply couldn't stand Souness and what he was doing. I honestly believe there will be such releif that he is gone that it will stoke the atmosphere right up which is what the players need.

I don't drink, does that upset some people on here?

88272[/snapback]

It certainly does - I was just about to ask you if there are any Sarf London pubs where it's vaguely safe to watch Toon matches.

Are there, mind? ;)

As has been proven with the Arsenal result this season, when the fans are up for it and these players actually raise their game then we can compete. That's the main reason Souness has gone, because we all know what they're capable of and they're just not doing that, probably through a combination of not understanding what the manager and coaches game plan actually is, and also through motivation. I expect the crowd to be well up for this tomorrow (I know I will be) and that alone will give us an extra 10-15% out there. The players might believe in themselves a bit more, Pompey might shit themsleves. It's after tomorrow we should be worried, when it dies down and what we see out there is down to Roeder and Shearer.

As has been proven with the Arsenal result this season, when the fans are up for it and these players actually raise their game then we can compete. That's the main reason Souness has gone, because we all know what they're capable of and they're just not doing that, probably through a combination of not understanding what the manager and coaches game plan actually is, and also through motivation. I expect the crowd to be well up for this tomorrow (I know I will be) and that alone will give us an extra 10-15% out there. The players might believe in themselves a bit more, Pompey might shit themsleves. It's after tomorrow we should be worried, when it dies down and what we see out there is down to Roeder and Shearer.

88593[/snapback]

Having said that, the Arsenal performance was a bit misleading. They bossed it in the first half but fell to bits in the second. They are really shit this year.

I agree the crowd will hopefully boost the team on Saturday though - I'm looking forward to it more than I have in two years. ;)

88593[/snapback]

Having said that, the Arsenal performance was a bit misleading. They bossed it in the first half but fell to bits in the second. They are really shit this year.

I agree the crowd will hopefully boost the team on Saturday though - I'm looking forward to it more than I have in two years. ;)

88595[/snapback]

Ah, but if iirc he made a few substitutions and changed it round which was the point that it all fell apart.

Anyway...FUCKINGCOMEONYABASTIDS...

I don't drink, does that upset some people on here?

88272[/snapback]

It certainly does - I was just about to ask you if there are any Sarf London pubs where it's vaguely safe to watch Toon matches.

Are there, mind? ;)

88573[/snapback]

If you want to look at real live geordies go to the Barley Mow just off Grovesnor Sq. Not South London but they actually let you feed them as well as take pictures :blink:

As for S. Lunnen pubs, any of them are OK for NUFC i think because no one down here could give a toss if they win or lose!

I threatened Renton once but he just ignored me, didn't even have the decency to bait me back.... ;)

88552[/snapback]

Did you? :nah:

I'm so hard I just brush of threats me like. :blink:

Pefectly happy to fight you if you want though. :(

;)

88564[/snapback]

I'm not in the mood now so you're lucky :nufc:

If you want to look at real live geordies go to the Barley Mow just off Grovesnor Sq. Not South London but they actually let you feed them as well as take pictures :o

As for S. Lunnen pubs, any of them are OK for NUFC i think because no one down here could give a toss if they win or lose!

88680[/snapback]

:jihad: Fair enough. I'm just worried because I'm going to be living in borderline Millwall territory... but then I should probably be avoiding pubs altogether given that that's the case. :suicide: Barley Mow sounds like a good shout, not too much of a trek either. Cheers. :doubleact:

You defo moving to London then Meenzer? Is this a cause for congratulations or ideally would you have preferred to stop where you are?

I've always quite liked the idea of living in London for a little while, but I just couldn't be doing with the commute. Will you still be working freelance from home?

You defo moving to London then Meenzer?  Is this a cause for congratulations or ideally would you have preferred to stop where you are?

Bit of both really, I love Hamburg to bits but I can't deny I'm looking forward to getting back to the UK... still getting used to the idea mind. :doubleact:

I've always quite liked the idea of living in London for a little while, but I just couldn't be doing with the commute.  Will you still be working freelance from home?

88699[/snapback]

I've managed to wind up with the best of both worlds, really - I've got a full-time contract doing exactly the kind of stuff I'm doing now (for one of my freelance customers, no less), but I'll still be working from home, so no commute.