Newcastle Fans Expectations

David Kelly

When reading the coments made by people 'in the game' and by supporters of other clubs, about the sacking of the tit, the thing I keep seeing is that the expectation levels here are so high or unrealistic.

Am I mad or is it perfectly normal to expect more than a plumit from 5th in the league and a semi final of the UEFA Cup to only six points off a relegation place in just over a season and after spent nearly £50m. Countless teams have overtook us having weaker squads and spending far less.

I have never met a Newcastle supporter who expected us to win anything, we keep hoping but ultimately we are always prepared for the fact that we will fail at the final hurdle (if we get that far in the first place). Our expectations must be miles lower

It's pissing me off no end that Souness's appologists are saying that we were expecting too much. What, should we be happy with how he's put us back five years or more?

When reading the coments made by people 'in the game' and by supporters of other clubs, about the sacking of the tit, the thing I keep seeing is that the expectation levels here are so high or unrealistic.

Am I mad or is it perfectly normal to expect more than a plumit from 5th in the league and a semi final of the UEFA Cup to only six points off a relegation place in just over a season and after spent nearly £50m.  Countless teams have overtook us having weaker squads and spending far less.

I have never met a Newcastle supporter who expected us to win anything, we keep hoping but ultimately we are always prepared for the fact that we will fail at the final hurdle (if we get that far in the first place).  Our expectations must be miles lower

It's pissing me off no end that Souness's appologists are saying that we were expecting too much.  What, should we be happy with how he's put us back five years or more?

88141[/snapback]

I was thinking this exact same thing. My personal hate is people who claim Geordies believe they have a devine right to win things. Who the hell believes that? We should win things given our size, but after a life time of winning fuck all you certainly don't expect it.

However, I would expect the club to be run competetly by decent people, but alas even this seems far too much to ask for. Not surprising when you see odious turds like Dougie Hall behind the scenes.

Its another of those myths/loads of bullshit that do the rounds.

Nobody expects us to win the premiership, we don't even expect to win a cup.

What we do expect is that with the money and crowds we have, with the players available and with the team having until Souness arrived finished 4th, 3rd and 5th we expect to be top 6 and challenging for 4th.

We also expect to beat crap teams at home, to see some good football and see some semblance of coachign and training, planning, formaton and tactics when we pay a manager and his staff millions.

None of the above is unreasonable.

It's funny that all those pundits and "experts" ahead of the season 2004 were saying Newcastle would qualify for Europe. They said it again ahead of this season, even before the signing of Owen.

Now we are close to relegation, playing abysmal football, but are called fickle because we were expecting too much. They should just shut up.

It pisses me off when I see people like Kevin Gallagher say these things.  I would have thought he would know better.  When he was here we certainly weren't expecting much more than not getting relegated!

88159[/snapback]

Aye, Gallagher said at the weekend Souness should keep his job no matter what the results, even if we were beaten by Cheltenham ffs. This really surprised me coming from him actually.

This is taken from Sky Sports site and is typical of this shit.

What a joke. Typical Freddie Shephard. Did Man Utd sack Fergie when they went 5yrs without a trophy? Are Arsenal looking to sack Wenger just now? "NO". The problem with the Toon is, they expect far too much. I'm not Souness's biggest fan, but it doesn't take a blind man to see that he's bought a full new team & never had the chance to get them all on the park at the same time. It takes years to build a successful squad, not 18 months. Toon, welcome to the real world!!!

Rab Mclean, Livingston

Are we sacking him for not winning a trophy or for us being 6th in the league and through to the knockout stages of the champions league?

No we're sacking him because he's took us to the brink of relegation without putting more than a couple of half decent performances in the last 18 months and that includes cup games against teams that most people have never heard of!

All those people moaning about Newcastle being impatient obviously have not seen any games in the last 16 months. If there only had been the slightest indication of Souness being able to take the club forward even through a transition period he probably would have got more backing.

The harsh reality is that he is totally inept in all football managing departments. The teams he sent out never seemed to have a game plan, players looked unfit (and I think injuries can get linked to this), there was no confidence and no real team spirit despite all what the tosser said. In Jormany there is a proverb saying "The truth lies on the pitch." That's what Souness got judged on, nothing else.

What a joke. Typical Freddie Shephard. Did Man Utd sack Fergie when they went 5yrs without a trophy? Are Arsenal looking to sack Wenger just now? "NO". The problem with the Toon is, they expect far too much. I'm not Souness's biggest fan, but it doesn't take a blind man to see that he's bought a full new team & never had the chance to get them all on the park at the same time. It takes years to build a successful squad, not 18 months. Toon, welcome to the real world!!!

Rab Mclean, Livingston

Are we sacking him for not winning a trophy or for us being 6th in the league and through to the knockout stages of the champions league?

No we're sacking him because he's took us to the brink of relegation without putting more than a couple of half decent performances in the last 18 months and that includes cup games against teams that most people have never heard of!

88171[/snapback]

McDonald pointed out last night that the closest Souness got to putting out a full strengh team, i.e. his team, was against Wigan away in the league cup. That speaks volumes.

The problem is with "outsiders", and I include many pundits in that, is that they don't see what we do, week in, week out. They don't have to put up with the miserable, passionless, clueless perofrmances for months on end, and we are even stupid enough to pay for it. Basically, they haven't got as clue as to what is really going on. If you know nowt, say nowt, imo.

Rab Mclean, Livingston

88171[/snapback]

McDonald pointed out last night that the closest Souness got to putting out a full strengh team, i.e. his team, was against Wigan away in the league cup. That speaks volumes.

The problem is with "outsiders", and I include many pundits in that, is that they don't see what we do, week in, week out. They don't have to put up with the miserable, passionless, clueless perofrmances for months on end, and we are even stupid enough to pay for it. Basically, they haven't got as clue as to what is really going on. If you know nowt, say nowt, imo.

88182[/snapback]

Even a few of the ones who do see us tend to come out with it. Whenever I've caught John Beresford on that fuckin' shit Soccer Night, it's always been injuries, injuries, injuries.

MacDonald is a pompous windbag and often talks shit but I'd rather he spoke the truth than trying not to rock the boat. Whatever people think about the Leg-ends, they'll never pussy foot round the clubs, and I respect them for that.

Arghhhhhhh! Now "Henry from Bristol" is saying we are too impatient and expect to win trophies straight away.  ;)

88193[/snapback]

Turn it off you big hom! ;)

88196[/snapback]

I hadn't thought of that. :blink::(

Yeah that's the other one that's been pissing me off for a while now (the point of view not Marsh himself although he pisses me off too).

Letting this wanker stay in charge over a longer period would only force us to endure more of this shit without any hope of success. Other clubs give a manager time when they show some sort of idea of how to improve things. Souness hasn't managed any positives at all during his time here.

Arghhhhhhh! Now "Henry from Bristol" is saying we are too impatient and expect to win trophies straight away.  :(

88193[/snapback]

Turn it off you big hom! ;)

88196[/snapback]

I hadn't thought of that. :blink::nah:

88199[/snapback]

Henry from Bristol just had you aal ower. ;)

88182[/snapback]

Spot on. The media, the BBC especially, have become more and more patronising over the last decade. Manure, Arsenal, Chelski, and now Liverpool are watched closely by all the pundits as they're covered more. The rest of us are judged on how the highlights have been edited. How many times have you watched MOTD and thought 'was I at this game?'

Perfect example was a few weeks ago on Radio 5. 3 NUFC fans on complainging about Souness, the head of football (can't remember his name), Nigel Winterburn and some other ex-pro just patroinised the fuck out of them. Aw, poor Geordies, bless them, ain't they cute? Garth Crooks assesment of Shola after the mackem game was also laughable, saying he was an excellent player, did this every week etc. JESUS WEPT!

I was literally shouting at the radio when I was listening to FiveLive last night. They were spouting the usual shit e.g. we're getting a reputation for sacking managers but the one that really got my goat was when someone said, they've won nothing since the 50's (which is wrong) why should they expect to? I think there's a 'slight' difference between thinking you have a divine right to win things (I'm yet to meet this mythical Toon fan) and expecting a manager who took over a good squad (with some problems, admittedly) and spent a fortune to do a lot better than he did. I don't think there's a media conspiracy as such, I just see this sort of thing as the worst sort of lazy journalism.

Lazy journalism is the right phrase for it. In exactly the same way the 'Newcastle can't defend' shit gets peddled week in week out, regardless of whether we've actually got a good record of defending at the time. Lawrenson has spent all season going on about 'Newcastle will go out to attack, they don't know any other way to play' when under Souness we've looked clueless going forward and have been negative to the point of laughable away from home.

Press note; this isn't 1996, and Keegan doesn't manage us.

Most fans are idiots unfortunately. Shearer tops the Sky sports poll. You have a European championship winning manager available yet you'd rather have the untested local hero. I remember the bloke who edits the Mag being on SSN when Robson was sacked saying Shearer was the man, ermm no he's fucking not!

The worrying thing about all this is that our 'unreasonable expectations' may put off good managers from applying for the job leaving us with Steve Fucking Bruce, or some other fuckwit.

88556[/snapback]

Would cost over £6m in compensation to get Bruce, so it's not gonna happen. Same with Allardyce, so I've no idea why he's such a favourite for it.