Now that he's gone...

Gemmill

...who do you a) want to replace him and b ) think will replace him.

a) Don't know. :blink:

;) Probably someone like O'Leary, although never in a million years would I have guessed Souness last time, so it may well be that Shepherd has another "surprise" up his sleeve.

No one else is allowed to say don't know for a) by the way. That's my special privilege.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally, it would be Hiddink or Hitzfeld. Extremely unlikely to happen though.

Realistically, I'd be very happy with Allardyce and Le Guen.

I'm undecided on Eriksson, O'Neill and Ranieri.

I absolutely don't want any of the usual suspects whose only 'achievement' is the fact that they're British or Geordie. That includes Bruce, Venables, O'Leary, McClaren, Curbishley or Roeder/Shearer on a permanent basis.

Your turn now, Gemmill. ;)

Edited by Bombadil

I don't want Martin O'Neill anywhere near our bench.  What has he done that Souness hasn't?

88242[/snapback]

You've been on here long enough to have read dozens of threads on his merits or otherwise, I'd be surprised if anyone wants to repeat them. My choice of O'Neill is based on hope and an element of realism - I really can't see Hiddink or Hitzfeld coming here.

Let's put the question you ask the other way though - what's O'Neill done wrong in his career? I caould give you a very long list in Souness's case.

Btw, O'Neill was favourite with the bookies a few minutes ago.

I don't want Martin O'Neill anywhere near our bench.  What has he done that Souness hasn't?

88242[/snapback]

You've been on here long enough to have read dozens of threads on his merits or otherwise, I'd be surprised if anyone wants to repeat them. My choice of O'Neill is based on hope and an element of realism - I really can't see Hiddink or Hitzfeld coming here.

Let's put the question you ask the other way though - what's O'Neill done wrong in his career? I caould give you a very long list in Souness's case.

88250[/snapback]

Why put his name forward then?

Not particularly fair seen as O'Neill has only been in management half the time Souness has.

I've already said you can rule the fantasy appointments out. The Tinkerman is the way forward.

Edited by Sima

SSN have just said that there has been 10 applicants for the job already..

88237[/snapback]

Aye, they've all won the league 3 times on the trot and name their biggest CM achievement as managing to get Kaka to the toon.

88251[/snapback]

"My first priority as Newcastle manager will be to buy two DMCs and an AML"

SSN have just said that there has been 10 applicants for the job already..

88237[/snapback]

Aye, they've all won the league 3 times on the trot and name their biggest CM achievement as managing to get Kaka to the toon.

88251[/snapback]

"My first priority as Newcastle manager will be to buy two DMCs and an AML"

88255[/snapback]

Tell your uncle to apply again, he's got to be in with a chance!

88242[/snapback]

88250[/snapback]

Why put his name forward then?

Not particularly fair seen as O'Neill has only been in management half the time Souness has.

I've already said you can rule the fantasy appointments out. The Tinkerman is the way forward.

88253[/snapback]

Well, if it's not fair to point out he has been a relative success everywhere he has been, how is it fair to compare his trophy count with that of Souness? By this stage in Souness's career he'd already fucked up Liverpool and was on his way to being sacked at every other club who had the stupidity to employ him.

I believe we need a blend of relative youthfulness and experience, and just as importantly someone who can operate on a budget. To me, O'Neill is the man for this. I hold little hope my theory will be tested though.

One of the things that Souness succeeded in was making us that desperate that so many people want a football murderer like O'Neill so badly.

On a personal basis if his wife is still ill then its a no-go. If she was declared as "well" today do you think any bloke would take a job like ours the next day? If it was me I'd be spending every second possible with her in any event.

But no, Newcastle need a manager so obviously that will become his No 1 priority.

One of the things that Souness succeeded in was making us that desperate that so many people want a football murderer like O'Neill so badly.

On a personal basis if his wife is still ill then its a no-go. If she was declared as "well" today do you think any bloke would take a job like ours the next day? If it was me I'd be spending every second possible with her in any event.

But no, Newcastle need a manager so obviously that will become his No 1 priority.

88262[/snapback]

Football murderer? What are you on about?

The rest of your post made no sense to me but it's clear you have some major problem with O'Neill given a long history of over the top negative posts about him. I think you are wrong. Anyway, I'd love it if we appointed someone I think can do the job and who I can support wholeheartedly from the start, rather than getting some knacker in who I know will fail. No pleasure in being proven right if that happens.