Now that he's gone...

Gemmill

I want one of europes top coaches like the afforementioned Hitzfeld, Hiddink, Le Guin etc.

After that i'd be looking at O'Neil and Allardyce

I have no idea who we will get. Fat Fred may amaze us all by going after one of these top european coaches, or he may go for the same old shite as usual, or somewhere in between!

I think theres a good chance he'll say to O'Neil how about taking over next season but sign a contract now and leave things in the hands of Roeder/Shearer.

Theres a chance he'll want Shearer to get the badges and take over with or withour Roeder.

Theres a chance he'll go back to Allardyce and dear god possibly Steve Bruce!

I'm goign to be unusually optimistic and give him the credit that he'll go after a top european coach and failign that will try and temp O'Neil or Allardyce.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things that Souness succeeded in was making us that desperate that so many people want a football murderer like O'Neill so badly.

On a personal basis if his wife is still ill then its a no-go. If she was declared as "well" today do you think any bloke would take a job like ours the next day? If it was me I'd be spending every second possible with her in any event.

But no, Newcastle need a manager so obviously that will become his No 1 priority.

88262[/snapback]

Football murderer? What are you on about?

The rest of your post made no sense to me but it's clear you have some major problem with O'Neill given a long history of over the top negative posts about him. I think you are wrong. Anyway, I'd love it if we appointed someone I think can do the job and who I can support wholeheartedly from the start, rather than getting some knacker in who I know will fail. No pleasure in being proven right if that happens.

88265[/snapback]

Leicester City - atrocious football with Heskey/Marshall/Elliot etc, etc.

Couple of trophies in Scotland and a league cup means he has better credentials than who exactly? - I'm not saying he's as good or bad as Souness but I'd love to know what makes him someone you can ge behind from the off whereas Souness was a no-hoper.

The second part was very non-personal and human - the way people expect a man who gave up his "dream job" to lovingly care for his wife is assumed to be going to drop that just because NUFC come calling - thats what I was getting at.

One of the things that Souness succeeded in was making us that desperate that so many people want a football murderer like O'Neill so badly.

On a personal basis if his wife is still ill then its a no-go. If she was declared as "well" today do you think any bloke would take a job like ours the next day? If it was me I'd be spending every second possible with her in any event.

But no, Newcastle need a manager so obviously that will become his No 1 priority.

88262[/snapback]

The rest of your post made no sense to me but it's clear you have some major problem with O'Neill given a long history of over the top negative posts about him. I think you are wrong. Anyway, I'd love it if we appointed someone I think can do the job and who I can support wholeheartedly from the start, rather than getting some knacker in who I know will fail. No pleasure in being proven right if that happens.

88265[/snapback]

Couple of trophies in Scotland and a league cup means he has better credentials than who exactly? - I'm not saying he's as good or bad as Souness but I'd love to know what makes him someone you can ge behind from the off whereas Souness was a no-hoper.

The second part was very non-personal and human - the way people expect a man who gave up his "dream job" to lovingly care for his wife is assumed to be going to drop that just because NUFC come calling - thats what I was getting at.

88271[/snapback]

I think the second bit is completely uncalled for actually unless you know something about his personal life I don't. Plenty of men wouldn't have done as much for his wife as he has done; if I understand you correctly I think you're out of order there.

Regarding the rest, you have to take into account what he has achieved considering the limitations he has had to work with. How much money did he have at Leicester (he won the cup twice there btw didn't he)? What happened when he left? What about his relative Euopean successes at Celtic (yes, that tiny league north of the border)? Unlucky to lose in a UEFA cup final?

I think a good way of judging a manager is to ask the fans at clubs they have been with. Now, in Souness's case, he is universally despised at nearly all the clubs he has been with bar Rangers. You find me an unhappy Wycombe, Leicester, or Celtic fan though (I'm sure there are some but not nearly as many). Souness WAS a complete no hoper - something you should have cottoned on to sooner tbh. Now Newcastle are just another club on his long list of casualties - he very nearly killed us. To compare him with O'Neill is absurd imo - I really hope we appoint O'Neill and you can be proved wrong again!

88262[/snapback]

88265[/snapback]

88271[/snapback]

I think the second bit is completely uncalled for actually unless you know something about his personal life I don't. Plenty of men wouldn't have done as much for his wife as he has done; if I understand you correctly I think you're out of order there.

Regarding the rest, you have to take into account what he has achieved considering the limitations he has had to work with. How much money did he have at Leicester (he won the cup twice there btw didn't he)? What happened when he left? What about his relative Euopean successes at Celtic (yes, that tiny league north of the border)? Unlucky to lose in a UEFA cup final?

I think a good way of judging a manager is to ask the fans at clubs they have been with. Now, in Souness's case, he is universally despised at nearly all the clubs he has been with bar Rangers. You find me an unhappy Wycombe, Leicester, or Celtic fan though (I'm sure there are some but not nearly as many). Souness WAS a complete no hoper - something you should have cottoned on to sooner tbh. Now Newcastle are just another club on his long list of casualties - he very nearly killed us. To compare him with O'Neill is absurd imo - I really hope we appoint O'Neill and you can be proved wrong again!

88281[/snapback]

I don;t get what you're saying about me being out of order there Renton - trying to clarify I think the fact that he gave up the Celtic job to look after his wife was absolutely fantastic and I wished I'd loved someone that much (wiothout the illness) to put them before everything else so selflessly and I think it was a very noble act and one I admire greatly.

What I'm trying to say is that nothing has changed in that situation but people are assuming he'll now come back to football at the drop of a hat just because its us calling - thats what I'm getting at - if I was him I wouldn't be even thinking of it.

Now going back to Football the same argument you have there on "did well with no money so give him some" is also applied to Allardyce who also plays what I think of of very poor football. I honestly don't think people can change that much - they do what they are good at which in there case I think is limited. I accept your point about fans but Leicester would have been glad of anything and just beating Rangers gets you adulation in Scotland.

I honestly hope for a better appointment.

88262[/snapback]

88265[/snapback]

88271[/snapback]

88281[/snapback]

I don;t get what you're saying about me being out of order there Renton - trying to clarify I think the fact that he gave up the Celtic job to look after his wife was absolutely fantastic and I wished I'd loved someone that much (wiothout the illness) to put them before everything else so selflessly and I think it was a very noble act and one I admire greatly.

What I'm trying to say is that nothing has changed in that situation but people are assuming he'll now come back to football at the drop of a hat just because its us calling - thats what I'm getting at - if I was him I wouldn't be even thinking of it.

Now going back to Football the same argument you have there on "did well with no money so give him some" is also applied to Allardyce who also plays what I think of of very poor football. I honestly don't think people can change that much - they do what they are good at which in there case I think is limited. I accept your point about fans but Leicester would have been glad of anything and just beating Rangers gets you adulation in Scotland.

I honestly hope for a better appointment.

88291[/snapback]

Fair enough, I take back what I said (wrong end of the stick). I understand he will be ready for work this summer btw, I don't know what his present personal situation is.

I would be fairly happy with Allerdyce or O'Neill as it happens, I feel we have to be realistic. Who do you want anyway?

Fair enough, I take back what I said (wrong end of the stick). I understand he will be ready for work this summer btw, I don't know what his present personal situation is.

I would be fairly happy with Allerdyce or O'Neill as it happens, I feel we have to be realistic. Who do you want anyway?

88294[/snapback]

Thought you'd got me wrong - no worries - I had always assumed he'd go back to Celtic anyway.

I'd like someone with a bit of modern approach - ideally Hitzfeld but knowing our luck he'd turn out like Gross or Perrin.

I get that Allardyce has some good ideas but I just don't trust his football and I don't like going back for people who've turned us down.

Its bad when my list of "no fucking way" candidates is longer than those I think will come.

I hold me hand up as I have given him backing all the way and was sure he would get it right. But last night I finally gave up on him turning it around and started to think a change was needed before it got to late.

I dont hate the bloke like some of you do on here FFS he was doing a job that was offered to him.

He was not up to it and he has gone even though he was pushed i think his stuburness to get a result kept him going when most would have held up the white flag an done one.

I would of liked to see him get it right and I thought his style may of been somthing we needed and in fact getting rid of some of the baggage we had was a good move ( no matter how good a players they where)

So yep you lot was right he was not good enough but does he have to become a target of hate for it.

a) Ideally I'd like Hiddink or Hitzfeld. There are a lot of other people I think could do a decent job. Even outsiders as for example Morten Olsen. I wouldn't mind the likes of Allardyce or O'Neill, though I got more sceptical about latter. I don't want the clown Ranieri.

;) I don't trust Fat Fred, though I don't think he can make another totally insane appointment. Though, he probably will hire someone uninspiring, probably Bruce. Or give Anal Oliver the job... or the first one selling him a pie.

It's gonna be MON, and as long as he brings JR with him as assistant then I wouldn't mind too much.

I'd like Sven though.

88360[/snapback]

JR??? ;)

It's gonna be MON, and as long as he brings JR with him as assistant then I wouldn't mind too much.

I'd like Sven though.

88360[/snapback]

JR??? ;)

88471[/snapback]

John Robertson. Believed to be the man behind the tactics whilst O'Neill was the motivator.

I'd like Sven though.

88360[/snapback]

JR??? ;)

88471[/snapback]

John Robertson. Believed to be the man behind the tactics whilst O'Neill was the motivator.

88492[/snapback]

Ah...gotcha.

And that's the John Robertson who played with him at Forest rather than the bloke who we bought from (and quickly sold back to) Hearts...?

I still maintain we should try Citeh's resolve for Stuart Pearce...

I'd like Sven though.

88360[/snapback]

JR??? ;)

88471[/snapback]

88492[/snapback]

Ah...gotcha.

And that's the John Robertson who played with him at Forest rather than the bloke who we bought from (and quickly sold back to) Hearts...?

I still maintain we should try Citeh's resolve for Stuart Pearce...

88500[/snapback]

I think it is a bit early to judge Pearce. What has he really achieved so far to make him such an attractive option? He is doing arguably well with a mediocre City side and will probably get a decent midtable position...