Democratic Muslims imposing their ways again

LeazesMag

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for you to post this Leazes ;)

It's a bit of a strange one as I don't agree with the content of the cartoon. It's not very clever and it's just offensive to followers of Islam. That said, any faith worth its salt should be able to stand up to ridicule and, more importantly, the principles of free speech must be upheld, meaning that newspapers, etc. should be able to publish the cartoon without retribution.

if its not illegal then just don't read it

88546[/snapback]

Does that mean that if it's illegal you should read it? These double negatives hurt my brain. ;)

I'd like to see them before I made my mind up. Has anyone got a link to them?

if its not illegal then just don't read it

88546[/snapback]

Does that mean that if it's illegal you should read it? These double negatives hurt my brain. ;)

I'd like to see them before I made my mind up. Has anyone got a link to them?

88549[/snapback]

I think this is one of them

http://www.uriasposten.net/pics/JP-011005-...ed-Westerga.jpg

88557[/snapback]

Hmm, not funny, but only because it's not funny. If they can't tolerate that then in my opinion we shouldn't tolerate them. Ffs. :blink:

That wasn't meant as an islamophobic comment but imo freedom of speech should mean that jokes like that should be allowed against any religion. It just seems that muslims are too easily offended. Even my mother, a staunch catholic, laughed at the life of Brian. Somehow I think there'd be uproar if someone dared to do a muslim version.

Well they are only in Year 1456 of their religion

I think you'd have been in for a pretty rough time in 1456 AD in England if you put on the "life of Brian" - now where WERE those matches

;):blink:

I think you'd have been in for a pretty rough time in 1456 AD in England if you put on the "life of Brian" - now where WERE those matches

;)  :blink:

88566[/snapback]

I know what you're saying and I've heard this argument before, but does it really work like that? Are Jews more tolerant than Christians? Are Muslims more tolerant than Sikhs, etc.?

;)  :blink:

88566[/snapback]

I know what you're saying and I've heard this argument before, but does it really work like that? Are Jews more tolerant than Christians? Are Muslims more tolerant than Sikhs, etc.?

88576[/snapback]

I think islam is a particularly intolerant religion, and just as importantly it is completely joyless. It is also sexist and I think Rob is right, it belongs in the middle ages at best.

I read somewhere that if you are a proper muslim, you can't play or even watch football ffs. Similarly, chess is forbidden. I mean chess! Jesus wept! (no pun intended)

There are pricks in all religions - just try putting on a play about homosexuality in S Texas or Alabama for example - the boys in white sheets will round before you can say "Klan" - and heaven help you if you suggest Israel doesn't have a divine right to the whole Middle East when in New York

IMHO problem starts when people define themselves ONLY with reference to their religion

I've been to a lot of places and I always apply the "when in Rome" philosophy and most people are pretty tolerant most of the time TBH

I abhor the concept of blasphemy because I can't understand how you can blasphem something you don't believe in.

I'm not sure about going out of your way to cause offence but its a good time to debate the issue - one criticism is that they wouldn't do this to jews which though true is something else I don't get - why not?

As has also been pointed out newspapers in the middle east often lampoon jews as pig or apes so its the usual double standards from them.

stole from elsewhere, but very true........

do they have a special ship in Gaza city that supplies flags for burning?

they got hold of a danish one pretty sharpish

somebody like Togo or Fiji should say something and see how quick they can rustle up one of their flags

;)

I read somewhere that if you are a proper muslim, you can't play or even watch football ffs. Similarly, chess is forbidden. I mean chess! Jesus wept! (no pun intended)

88578[/snapback]

Then again if a christian obeys the OT literally they couldn't play football with one that used a pigs bladder either.

I get the impression that like some jews you can remain "loyal" to Islam and lead a "normal" western life in all reasonableness - as usual its just the extremes from any gang that grate.

"I think islam is a particularly intolerant religion, and just as importantly it is completely joyless. It is also sexist and I think Rob is right, it belongs in the middle ages at best.

I read somewhere that if you are a proper muslim, you can't play or even watch football ffs. Similarly, chess is forbidden. I mean chess! Jesus wept! (no pun intended)"

Not so - in many respects Islam is very tolerant indeed. the problems are not so much with the Koranic injunctions but the way later writings have defined religous practise and this is then laid onto local cultural mores

look at the way women dress in public for example - in parts of Yemen its TOTAL coverage, in Saudi its eyes only but hands are allowed, in Oman its full face, In Egypt its often western dress

The problem is there is NO authority in Sunni Islam - no Pope for example

You can go and listen to any wise man you like - or not - but you certainly don't have to listen to them - until they have a bunch of thugs to enforce their view of what is right

There's one with Muhammad with his Turban turning into a bomb or something which I guess could cause offence, although to be honest this is the kind of stuff I'd expect to see in Viz.  ;)

88579[/snapback]

Exactly. Why are they that bothered anyway, why do they feel so insecure. If they are so safe in the knowledge I'm going to hell as an infidel, surely they'll have the last laugh?

There's something particularly deep-rooted about the intolerance associated with islam imo. What other faith issues fatwahs on a regular basis?

A Christian set of rules:-

Specific laws

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev.15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are

around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to the French but not

Jormans. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2

clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obliged to kill

him myself?

Another friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an

abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.

I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a

defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear prescription glasses.

Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

In Deut 21:18-20, a son who will not obey his parents is to be stoned

to death by the whole town outside the city gates as a moral example to,

well, everyone. My town isn't walled OR gated, my defiant son won't follow my rules laid down for him, so where do you suggest we do this - town square?

God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Anyone see 'Travels with My Beard' on BBC3 last night? Interesting like. It was about a Sikh who grew a beard in the wake of the London bombings to see what reaction he would get to looking like a Muslim.

There's one with Muhammad with his Turban turning into a bomb or something which I guess could cause offence, although to be honest this is the kind of stuff I'd expect to see in Viz.  ;)

88579[/snapback]

Exactly. Why are they that bothered anyway, why do they feel so insecure. If they are so safe in the knowledge I'm going to hell as an infidel, surely they'll have the last laugh?

There's something particularly deep-rooted about the intolerance associated with islam imo. What other faith issues fatwahs on a regular basis?

88588[/snapback]

Your right renton - it IS insecurity - they feel they are threatened physically by the Yanks, the Israelis and the Russkis an dmorally by the whole western culture thing (the French have a similar problem with the USA here)

Anyone see 'Travels with My Beard' on BBC3 last night? Interesting like. It was about a Sikh who grew a beard in the wake of the London bombings to see what reaction he would get to looking like a Muslim.

88598[/snapback]

and guess what................................................... he had alot sof seating space on public transport

88598[/snapback]

and guess what................................................... he had alot sof seating space on public transport

88603[/snapback]

Aye, he had a rucksack, a beard and he was Asian. No problem getting a seat on the tube ;)

88579[/snapback]

88588[/snapback]

Your right renton - it IS insecurity - they feel they are threatened physically by the Yanks, the Israelis and the Russkis an dmorally by the whole western culture thing (the French have a similar problem with the USA here)

88602[/snapback]

That's complete bollocks like, and it leads to another problem with Islam, this feeling of brotherhood that transcends state boundaries. Another throw back to the middle ages, and completely incompatible with the modern world.

Even remotely comparing it to the slight antipathy the French feel towards the US (which I partly share) is probably the most stupid thing you have ever said I'm afraid. :blink: