Democratic Muslims imposing their ways again

LeazesMag

these traits of muslims have been obvious to everyone since the death threat on Salman Rushdie, since then the spread of events such as the one which is the topic of this thread have increased alarmingly.

To disagree is in fact burying you head MASSIVELY in the sand, and an apology will only fuel the fact they think that ehy have grounds for behaving the way they do.

90141[/snapback]

What did you think of the cartoons by the way? Offensive or not?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these traits of muslims have been obvious to everyone since the death threat on Salman Rushdie, since then the spread of events such as the one which is the topic of this thread have increased alarmingly.

To disagree is in fact burying you head MASSIVELY in the sand, and an apology will only fuel the fact they think that ehy have grounds for behaving the way they do.

90141[/snapback]

90144[/snapback]

funny as fuck to be honest

90141[/snapback]

90144[/snapback]

funny as fuck to be honest

90147[/snapback]

Offensive or not though? Portraying the founder of a faith to be a terrorist in particular. I'm not on about the subsequent reaction or whatever, can you understand why people were offended?

90141[/snapback]

90144[/snapback]

I know that was directed at Leazes, but I didn't personally find the one you linked to offensive at all. I interpreted it meant that some islamic fundamentalists have hijacked the religion, which is what I think was intended, and subsequently has obviously been proved correct!

90141[/snapback]

90144[/snapback]

I know that was directed at Leazes, but I didn't personally find the one you linked to offensive at all. I interpreted it meant that some islamic fundamentalists have hijacked the religion, which is what I think was intended, and subsequently has obviously been proved correct!

90154[/snapback]

But the portrayal of the prophet is offensive to most Muslims, I'm asking whether it's offensive, not whether you or LM find it personally offensive, given neither of you are Muslims.

Nation of Islam????????

Where is that, exactly - unless you mean them weirdos who dress in DJ's and shades from the US of A..........................

88646[/snapback]

Them lot are mentalists. FACT!

88651[/snapback]

You realise i'm reading this and taking your comments very seriously don't you... ;)

Nation of Islam????????

Where is that, exactly - unless you mean them weirdos who dress in DJ's and shades from the US of A..........................

88646[/snapback]

Them lot are mentalists. FACT!

88651[/snapback]

You realise i'm reading this and taking your comments very seriously don't you... ;)

90162[/snapback]

I'm from Patmos tbh.

90141[/snapback]

90144[/snapback]

90154[/snapback]

But the portrayal of the prophet is offensive to most Muslims, I'm asking whether it's offensive, not whether you or LM find it personally offensive, given neither of you are Muslims.

90158[/snapback]

I can appreciate it might be offensive to muslims, but frankly I don't care. Lots of things offend me, and I have learned to live with them (just ;)). The vast majority of these protesters world-wide probably haven't even seen them, and they're certainly not being forced to see them.

I can appreciate it might be offensive to muslims, but frankly I don't care. Lots of things offend me, and I have learned to live with them (just ;)). The vast majority of these protesters world-wide probably haven't even seen them, and they're certainly not being forced to see them.

90167[/snapback]

I was trying to widen the debate to be honest to try and make the point that the cartoons were offensive to certain people. I think I've made it clear I don't think they should have been banned and I'm no fan of religious fundamentalism. However you could argue (to play Devil's Advocate, I don't really hold this view) that dressing as a suicide bomber and holding up placards threatening those who offend Islam with death is also just an example of freedom of speech and should be allowed to go ahead, however offensive it is.

Anyway, here's my tuppence worth.

People who are easily offended by such remarks are people who have brittle faith. If you love your wife dearly and think the world of her, what would you care if someone disagree's or even makes fun of her looks? She is beautiful to you and that should be enough.

Anybody who reacts with violent or vengeful thoughts, words or deeds to a stupid cartoon has deep personal problems. This isn't an Islamic issue imo, the people involved have serious character flaws and probably very, very low self esteem coupled with a feeling of isolation. These aren't bad muslims, just bad people.

They have lost or never had a sense of clarity or mature discrimination with which to view the world. I am a religious person and believe the Supreme One is all knowing and all loving. Are we to be judged on our dress? The timing of our rituals? Our facial hair? Or are we to be judged on what is in our hearts? It is easier to follow an outward course of action rather improve and evolve oneself through reflection, understanding and forgiveness. It is also easier to impose your will on others than to be lead by example. Truly these people have made God in their own image, vengeful, wrathful and intolerant. I believe Islam is none of these things, i'm sure 'The East' was viewed as the refuge for liberal thinkers a few centuries ago. The media love this 'Type of Muslim' though, they give very little coverage to what i believe to be a very great majority of decent people who happen to be muslim and so we are bombarded by this type of sensationalism. Don't let these ridiculous images create a generalisation of a great many people.

People who are easily offended by such remarks are people who have brittle faith. If you love your wife dearly and think the world of her, what would you care if someone disagree's or even makes fun of her looks? She is beautiful to you and that should be enough.

Anybody who reacts with violent or vengeful thoughts, words or deeds to a stupid cartoon has deep personal problems. This isn't an Islamic issue imo, the people involved have serious character flaws and probably very, very low self esteem coupled with a feeling of isolation. These aren't bad muslims, just bad people.

They have lost or never had a sense of clarity or mature discrimination with which to view the world. I am a religious person and believe the Supreme One is all knowing and all loving. Are we to be judged on our dress? The timing of our rituals? Our facial hair? Or are we to be judged on what is in our hearts? It is easier to follow an outward course of action rather improve and evolve oneself through reflection, understanding and forgiveness. It is also easier to impose your will on others than to be lead by example. Truly these people have made God in their own image, vengeful, wrathful and intolerant. I believe Islam is none of these things, i'm sure 'The East' was viewed as the refuge for liberal thinkers a few centuries ago. The media love this 'Type of Muslim' though, they give very little coverage to what i believe to be a very great majority of decent people who happen to be muslim and so we are bombarded by this type of sensationalism. Don't let these ridiculous images create a generalisation of a great many people.

90175[/snapback]

Good post.

Hamza found guilty I see. Good.

90177[/snapback]

Good! Maybe we can deport this freakshow now rather than have to contribute through our taxes to the cost of his incarceration on our soil!

90180[/snapback]

Well, you can only deport people who aren't permanent residents, obviously. Although are the American's still trying to extradite him? I wouldn't lose much sleep if he ends up in Guantanamo Bay.

Well, you can only deport people who aren't permanent residents, obviously. Although are the American's  still trying to extradite him? I wouldn't lose much sleep if he ends up in Guantanamo Bay.

90183[/snapback]

You seem to very much in favour of the principle of freedom of speech, what about the rights and wrongs of incarceration without trial, is that ok?

Well, you can only deport people who aren't permanent residents, obviously. Although are the American's  still trying to extradite him? I wouldn't lose much sleep if he ends up in Guantanamo Bay.

90183[/snapback]

You seem to very much in favour of the principle of freedom of speech, what about the rights and wrongs of incarceration without trial, is that ok?

90186[/snapback]

Throwaway comment Alex, as a liberal do gooder I am against such incarceration. However, if anyone has to be there, I would choose him.

90175[/snapback]

I think this 'feeling of isolation' from mainstream British society is possibly one of the things that has encouraged Islmaic extremism to grow in this country.

90175[/snapback]

You're far too smart to be a religious type. ;)

90175[/snapback]

I think this 'feeling of isolation' from mainstream British society is possibly one of the things that has encouraged Islmaic extremism to grow in this country.

90191[/snapback]

I can see this from both sides tbh. Anyone would feel a bit isolated if few people spoke, dressed, looked like, prayed like oneself. However i also think it's a bit rich to demand the populace of the host country to display human qualities over and above that which you are capable of yourself and then have the hump about it when they don't! It is incumbent on the arrivee to do their best to fit in imo.

What really f**ks me off is when you read that some of the ringleaders are on benefits. How someone can beg from another man's table without the slightest humility and call his wife a slut and his mother a whore and then tell him that your way is the true way is unbelievable. Those who behave in such a way have no honour, they are not men.

Tiny minority though.

To Dotbum:

Bless you my son, do you think i could get work on the Evangelical Channel? Or would i look like a pimp in a white suit and diamond bracelet?

90201[/snapback]

Well, all the smart religious types go that way. Often been tempted myself.

What really f**ks me off is when you read that some of the ringleaders are on benefits. How someone can beg from another man's table without the slightest humility and call his wife a slut and his mother a whore and then tell him that your  way is the true way is unbelievable. Those who behave in such a way have no honour, they are not men.

Tiny minority though.

90199[/snapback]

I'm nicking that bit. Completely spot on! ;)

ChocHip, Nail on head tbh.

I think the way that immigrants were dealt with from day one, was wrong. I don't think Ghettos have helped any community ingratiate themselves into British society. It's promotes an insular, almost siege mentality and strengthens the distrust and contempt we hold for each other.

I might be wrong but I recall an Irish uncle saying that the different ethnic groups who migrated to Ireland were spread evenly about the country and not simply penned into one area, or city.

I'm not saying that the Irish are the perfect example of how communities can live in harmony, but I think we can see that an even distribution of immigrants would have seen a better integration.

an example from my own life, Altan Brown was a lad of turkish descent who's grandparents came to Englan for a better life or whatever, now I grew up with Altan, played football with him and not up until a PC-Religious Education teacher pointed at him in class when trying to exemplify a muslim did I notice he was in any way different.

what made it more galling was that Altan is not Muslim, he's atheist. But Ms Waldi saw a dark face in the room and presumed that he had to be...