Golden State Killer

adios

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think I was scarred by that scene in pulp fiction.

Spoilers, ffs man! 

;)  

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think one of the first films I remember was the child killer (can’t rember.... Wayne ) who was played by Brian denratty? , who had the kids buried under his house.

Aye, clowns were creepy enough without him already. :lol:

I was quite interested in serial killers until I read about BTK/The Box Truck Killer(?) I think it was and it was just too much for me.  I don't recommend it.  There's apparently a tape that some people have listened to, it's online and afaik is used in FBI training.  He used to play tapes of his previous victims to his current victims.  I haven't listened to and defo don't recommend listening to that based on the feedback.

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

This film was made in 1992 CT, and its one of the first you remember

You’d have been in your mid-twenties. 

Wtf? :D 

What can I say. There was a lot of shit slasher type stuff in the 80’s but (maybe because I was a young dad), this one stuck with me. A respectable bloke who got away with such heinous stuff for so long.

Bit like Renton in the politics thread. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

What can I say. There was a lot of shit slasher type stuff in the 80’s but (maybe because I was a young dad), this one stuck with me. A respectable bloke who got away with such heinous stuff for so long.

Bit like Renton in the politics thread. :lol:

You’re only a couple of years older than me. 

No recollections of, say, Jaws or Star Wars, or (more likely :D), Grease?

The earliest film you can remember is some shitty biopic about a fat psycho clown :D

My earliest would be Jungle Book or Return of the Jedi as my first trips to the picture shows.  I also have a vague memory of a film about a little boy being abused by a nun but I try not to think too hard about that one. <_<  

47 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

You’re only a couple of years older than me. 

No recollections of, say, Jaws or Star Wars, or (more likely :D), Grease?

The earliest film you can remember is some shitty biopic about a fat psycho clown :D

Given we’re discussing serial killers.......

The link is quite an obvious one I suppose but there's a book called Killer on the Road which examines the correlation between the creation of the interstate highways and the the rise the serial killer in America.

There is a podcast about the Golden State Killer that I just listened to the first episode of last week.  Given this new turn of events it'll be interesting to see how it pans out (the podcast I mean).  It's called Unmasking A Killer.

On 29/04/2018 at 18:21, adios said:

If it's not called "All killa, No filla" then I guess I'm starting a serial killer podcast.

Pretty sure it is called "All Killer, No Filler". One of the presenters was on a podcast a mate of mine does called "Worst Foot Forward". Which is in itself a fairly entertaining pod about the worst of any given subject. Everything from Worst Board Games or Worst Family Traditions, to Worst Monarch, or Worst Blaxpoitation movie. Relies a lot on the guests being both informed and entertaining but the hosts usually do a fair amount of research.

Serial Killers fascinate me, both the fictional ones and the real. Reckon my Nephew might turn out to be one in the future. 

Edited by The Fish

When Channel 5 first started up (presumably because they involved loads of cheap / free stock footage) it seemed like every other show on there in the evening was a doc about either serial killers or the Nazis :lol: And a lot of them were fascinating. I had this picture of Gacy (the one on the right) as my avatar for a while :lol:

Untitled-1-13.jpg

:lol:  How the fuck is that not completely petrrifying?  

One, the most terrifying, evil, twisted individual known to man.  The other, a normal every day serial killer trying to go about his job.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Pretty sure it is called "All Killer, No Filler". One of the presenters was on a podcast a mate of mine does called "Worst Foot Forward". Which is in itself a fairly entertaining pod about the worst of any given subject. Everything from Worst Board Games or Worst Family Traditions, to Worst Monarch, or Worst Blaxpoitation movie. Relies a lot on the guests being both informed and entertaining but the hosts usually do a fair amount of research.

Serial Killers fascinate me, both the fictional ones and the real. Reckon my Nephew might turn out to be one in the future. 

If you're going to correct my ebonics, at least get it right, my wigga. ;)  

https://allkillanofilla.libsyn.com/

I agree plenty of us have a fascination with serial killers.  What do you think it's about?

49 minutes ago, adios said:

If you're going to correct my ebonics, at least get it right, my wigga. ;)  

https://allkillanofilla.libsyn.com/

I agree plenty of us have a fascination with serial killers.  What do you think it's about?

I was confirming, not correcting fam.

I think, it's because they're aberrant and such a stark difference from the norm grabs our attention. Given that most serial killers appear to be psychopathic, that's another layer of difference. When a terrorist commits an act of atrocity, killing dozens or hundreds, we can piece together their motivation (however ridiculous or offensive it is). However, say there's a guy who has to keep the dismembered limbs of his half eaten victims because that's the only way to truly be with them... well I don't understand that at all, I want to know more... It's a wholly unusual behaviour set, with it's own motivations, risk v reward reasoning (dialectic?), and that jars with what we're used to. 

Is there an element of being driven to face our own fears, and all that is really left to be scared of is a sadist that can't be reasoned with?  Someone who actually wants to watch you suffer in the most brutal ways possible.  Even then, that doesn't describe most serial killers.

Is your future-serial-killer nephew interested in serial killers like a lot of them are?  Is that for a completely different reason or are we maybe not as different from them as we'd like to think? :o