Bruce back in for Butt?

Scottish Mag

BIRMINGHAM boss Steve Bruce is ready to rescue his old pal Nicky Butt from his Newcastle United misery.

Bruce wants to take midfield general Butt to St Andrews in a £2million deal after hearing he was available at the end of a hard year at the Toon.

Former Manchester United star Bruce still has faith in the England international and is willing to take him on if the move is right for the Blues.

Butt wants to quit Newcastle where some fans have turned on him. He was mentioned in a swap for Matthew Upson last month but that fell through because the centre-half was rated at £10m.

Now Birmingham want Butt in a straight deal and the size of the fee is being discussed at the top level as the clubs try to find a compromise.

Former Old Trafford star Butt needs to play regularly - and under a boss who is backing him fully - if he is to stay in the England set-up.

It's confirmed on the official site:

"Birmingham City Football Club have agreed a deal with Newcastle United for midfielder Nicky Butt on a season long loan with a view to a permanent transfer at the end of the season worth £2million.

"The 30-year-old will join up with former Manchester United team mate and Birmingham manager Steve Bruce in the deal that brings Nicky Butt to St. Andrew's."

Surely we can't sent Hugo on loan as well?

Pointless. Is our wage bill that high that we need him off our books?

Brum will probably just do what Sporting did with Hugo, get an Internationa midfielder for free for a season, then send him back to us next season, completely unsettled.

Huzzah!

I'm glad he's gone, but after his "performance" in the FA Cup Semi-Final, I personally though he should never kick a ball for NUFC again.

I still don't understand why we're giving away an asset worth £2m for free, but then again, I'm not a super genius like Fat Fred.

I was willing to give him chance after chance, but after the Semi Final he showed us all which side his bread was buttered. He couldn't give a shit, which is a disgrace when there were 30,000 there who could.

I agree Barney, the loan is a pointless deal. Sell him or keep him here.

Loan deal certainly does seem a bit daft especially if at the end of it Brum have the option to buy him for the same price as our current evaluation. :lol:

Without wanting to appear Souness' back door lover, loan deals are the best options for the club. Robert, Butt and Viana are not going to play any football for us unless there are major injury problems. All the football world knows we don't want them, hence the absence of anyone offerring reasonable money for them. If we can send them somewhere else and not pay them, we are getting a return of about £5 million in unpaid wages. We would still have them on contract and could sell them in a year. It has nothing to do with being short of money, it has everything to do with being sensible.

These are not world class players who are coming back to haunt us, they are purely surplus to requirements or "bad eggs" in the frenchmans case. We want to be able to have one of the top 4 teams in the country and that is not the same as having the higest paid reserve team. Deal with it.

I was willing to give him chance after chance, but after the Semi Final he showed us all which side his bread was buttered. He couldn't give a shit, which is a disgrace when there were 30,000 there who could.

I agree Barney, the loan is a pointless deal. Sell him or keep him here.

6965[/snapback]

Agreed. Although a loan deal is a but of a pisser, it's just good to have him out of the team. I wanted to take his head off after the Semi, but luckily for him, being 6 rows from the back I had no way of getting to the pitch.

Not a fan of this loan deal. It's hardly as though Butt is in his early 20's like Viana. He'll be into his 30's (correct me if I'm wrong) when the £2 million option comes up. One year less on his contract aswell. Loans with a view to by have ahrdly been a raging success for us. Even the Lua Lua one was hard work.

Alot can happen in a year, Bruce could be put off by his injuries or suspect attitude. Christ, Bruce could even get the boot and the new guy would want nothing to do with him.

What is the point of a loan ??? What a joke

6952[/snapback]

Shows either

A/ Souness is an absolute clown in the transfer market (an everything so far would back that up) or

B/ They were so desperate to get shot of him, they would have accepted a yorkie bar and a bag of crisps. (also understandable)

But however - what a frigging mess.... :lol:

Thats made my day I didnt want him here and after the cardiff game my hate for this MUFC lovin clown grew to another level.

Get rid of the half hearted git and let him go to Small heath and give him loads of stick when he comes back here just to let him know our feelings to the lazy shite.

• 16 years later...

Butt:

“It took about six months for me to get the right club. City, Tottenham, and Arsenal all asked me, but I just wasn’t interested. I was interested in joining Newcastle because I’d played there for England Under-19s and loved the atmosphere.”

“It wasn’t too far from Manchester, there was no real hatred between the fans, Sir Bobby was a god and the first team was very good. They should have qualified for the Champions League, but it wasn’t to be.

“I had a tough start. I was injured when I first signed – I just didn’t tell the club that. But I was Newcastle’s captain for two years. It wasn’t too bad.”

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nicky-butt-no-regrets-leaving-23555644

Another old thread:

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

What sort of medical doesn't pick up an injury FFS

who’s saying it didn’t? Plenty of players have joined new clubs when injured. The medical is there to identify underlying long term conditions that can affect the insurance premiums.